List of tenancy deposit arbitration decisions & reasons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List of tenancy deposit arbitration decisions & reasons

Tessa Shepperson has compiled a list of recent decisions by Arbitrators on tenancy deposit disputes and the reasons for the decisions. It can be found here.

I think its very useful for both LL and Ts.

Lost rent during repairs

Yes, it is interesting.

As I expected there is never any allowance for the lost rent for the time that repairs take to organise and carry out. This has always been a big bugbear for me.

Any other landlords feel the same, and has anyone found a solution?

Comment

It is interesting to note that the award of the arbitraror is limited to the amount of the deposit.

In other words, if damage is £1000 and the deposit is £500 - then the award to the landlord can only be £500 - the arbitraror clearly states in several of the case studies that he or she does not have the power to award more.

Also quite prevalent is that landlords are not providing sufficient or any evidence to support claims where is it quite clear that if such claims were true, and evidence provided, the landlord would be the winner of the claim. Checkin and checkout inventories with photos appear to be essential.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesknight0 View Post
        Yes, it is interesting.

As I expected there is never any allowance for the lost rent for the time that repairs take to organise and carry out. This has always been a big bugbear for me.

There is no solution as you are up against section 18 (1) LTA 1927:

Damages for a breach of a covenant or agreement to keep or put premises in repair during the currency of a lease, or to leave or put premises in repair at the termination of a lease, whether such covenant or agreement is expressed or implied, and whether general or specific, shall in no case exceed the amount (if any) by which the value of the reversion (whether immediate or not) in the premises is diminished owing to the breach of such covenant or agreement as aforesaid...

Comment

Originally posted by davidjohnbutton View Post
          It is interesting to note that the award of the arbitraror is limited to the amount of the deposit.
          That is because the sole purpose of the arbitration is to determine where the deposit should go.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
            There is no solution as you are up against section 18 (1) LTA 1927:

Damages for a breach of a covenant or agreement to keep or put premises in repair during the currency of a lease, or to leave or put premises in repair at the termination of a lease, whether such covenant or agreement is expressed or implied, and whether general or specific, shall in no case exceed the amount (if any) by which the value of the reversion (whether immediate or not) in the premises is diminished owing to the breach of such covenant or agreement as aforesaid...
            Thank you Lawcruncher.

The above seems to be saying that the damages are limited to the difference in value between what the flat is worth in its present state, and what it is worth with the repairs done. I think this is fair enough. I can see that an un-repaired flat could be worth £10,000 less than a repaired one.

How does that prevent me from claiming lost rent while the repairs are done?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesknight0 View Post

I once brought a county court claim against a tenant who had caused extensive damage, requiring complete redecoration. It took several weeks before the property was ready to relet.

I didn't claim for this lost time/rent, as it was my first ever claim and it didn't occur to me to do so. However, at the hearing I happened to mention this factor had caused me a loss and the judge said I should have claimed for it, too - which to me suggests that it is a valid, claimable loss arising from T's breach. Other judges may take a different view.

Comment

Interesting list - I have to say the way that case study 35 is explained is particularly flakey!!

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
                  I didn't claim for this lost time/rent, as it was my first ever claim and it didn't occur to me to do so. However, at the hearing I happened to mention this factor had caused me a loss and the judge said I should have claimed for it, too - which to me suggests that it is a valid, claimable loss arising from T's breach. Other judges may take a different view.
                  I agree, I have seen it done a number of times.

Comment

If this list is reasonably representative of the way the adjudication service operates, I have to say that the evidence doesn't really support the common assertion that the results are biased towards the tenant.

LL's appear to be easily winning cases where the tenant has broken the contract by leaving early, but losing cases for damage by submitting little or no evidence or (in some cases) outright lying.

Comment

Hmm, okay I think we have established that it is possible to get lost rent reimbursed in court if you have a sensible judge. (Oxymoron?)

But would you get such a sensible person arbitrating in a tenancy deposit hearing? None of the cases the Landlord won mention any award for lost rent. I think we can assume there was lost rent in these cases, as I doubt that repairs were completed on the day of the checkout.

Comment

I seems prefectly reasonable that the landlord should retain the deposit if the tenant leaves early.

Don't landlords ever try and take legal action against a tenant though to try and force them to pay the full period of the tenancy agreement?

Comment

Originally posted by bfd View Post
                          I seems prefectly reasonable that the landlord should retain the deposit if the tenant leaves early.

Don't landlords ever try and take legal action against a tenant though to try and force them to pay the full period of the tenancy agreement?
                          From a practical point of view, there must seem little point in doing this unless the tenant is extremely rich. When tenants break tenancy contracts early and flee, it is usually because they can no longer afford the rent (because of redundancy, or whatever other reason). They must then find somewhere else (even cheaper) to live and pay rent there. The chances of their being able to afford two lots of rent are surely remote.

Most LLs sensibly take the view that even though they are not legally obliged to mitigate their losses in these circumstances, it is better to re-let the property as soon as possible and that the cost in time, energy and money of pursuing an insolvent tenant through the courts is probably not worth it.

Some LLs will of course argue that 'on principle', Ts should be held liable for their debts even if this means the LL 'running barefoot over the frozen ridges of the Alps'. This 'terrier with rat' approach may work for some, but I fear I would lack the stomach for it.

What do others think?
                          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                            JP23
                            Why must we continuously renew our deposit with the scheme each time we re-sign our AST i.e. every 12 months?

Why can the deposit not remain protected throughout the duration of the overall tenant occupation?

Is our landlord acting in questionable faith by asking us to pay...
                            23-07-2017, 04:18 AM
                          • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                            Lvkn
                            Hello
                            i am a landlord and have insurance based deposit protection (I hold the deposit in segregated client account and register it with My Deposits) every time a new contract is drawn up we have to pay £48. If a tenancy is renewed, we pay £48. If someone moves out of one of our multiple tenant...
                            23-07-2017, 20:27 PM
                          • Excessive estate agent fees
                            Cml241
                            I have a property which I started renting out via an agency. When the contract started, they found new tenants, did the relevant checks etc and charged an upfront fee which equates to approx one month's rent. As one year has almost passed, the agent has approached me asking if I want them to 'renegotiate'...
                            21-07-2017, 16:26 PM
                          • Reply to Excessive estate agent fees
                            Wright76
                            If you have no ongoing contract with the agent and it was "find" only, they have no right to force you into a new AST.

Depending on the terms of your contract there's nothing to prevent you, if your feeling confident, in renewing the contract yourself and taking over.
                            23-07-2017, 19:11 PM
                          • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                            jjlandlord
                            Fees for 'renewing' will not be in the tenancy agreement because they are not fees of the tenancy and are freely negiotiated.

The landlord should simply charge an admin fee to renew and set it to include all his costs...
                            23-07-2017, 19:02 PM
                          • Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
                            pdmalik
                            Hello,

There is a derelict property with good potential in my area. The owner tried to sell it in a local auction few years back and did not get what he wanted (actually did but got greedy). Now he can even sell it for cheaper than what he was getting in the auction. Property has good potential...
                            23-07-2017, 16:52 PM
                          • Reply to Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
                            mariner
                            Make the owner an offer to purchase.
                            23-07-2017, 18:46 PM
                            Wright76
                            There is no charge and it doesn't need reprotecting if it's in a custodial scheme. If it's in an insurance based scheme then landlord is holding it and can be claiming interest on it, it's therefore very cheeky but not illegal to pass the cost onto you.

Ask him if he can use a custodial...
                            23-07-2017, 18:45 PM
                            KTC
                            Yes, but if we're talking renewal, then it'll inevitably be in it.

Is it insured or custodial. Insured, meh. Custodial, wholly unreasonable....
                            23-07-2017, 18:33 PM
                          • Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
                            scooter08
                            Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?
                            England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?
                            AST

Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy?
                            12/04/2015
                            21-07-2017, 15:06 PM
                          Working...
                          X