Worth suing for lost parking permit ? Separate deposit in future ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worth suing for lost parking permit ? Separate deposit in future ?

I pay £220 pa for a parking permit to the freeholder of one of my flats. The tenant that's just left has lost the permit & it's got 9 month to run. I've just learned that the freeholder won't issue duplicates. So I'm £165 out of pocket & I'm left with a flat to let with no off road parking for 9 months !
    What's the chances of a small claims court deciding in my favour if I took the ex tenant to court for £165 ?
    In future I need to create an incentive for tenants to take care of the permit & return it at the end of the tenancy.
    If I charge the tenant a separate deposit for the permit, can it be treated as outside of the deposit registration scheme without infringing the law on tenant's deposits ?

I would have thought you could reasonably reclaim the money from the tenancy deposit. Have you already tried this and failed?

I realise you want to let the flat with the benefit of parking, but I think pragmatically in the future, you might as well let the tenant make their own parking arrangements.

By the way, are you sure the tenant has lost it? Some of my flats are handy for the shops, and it is not unknown for previous tenants to continue to use the parking long after the tenancy is over. Just a thought!
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

You need to get onto the freeholder and argue as follows:

What you paid for was the right to park, not the thing called a permit, which was only evidence that you had paid for the right to park. They should accordingly allow you to continue to park and if that means a permit is needed they should issue one.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
        You need to get onto the freeholder and argue as follows:

What you paid for was the right to park, not the thing called a permit, which was only evidence that you had paid for the right to park. They should accordingly allow you to continue to park and if that means a permit is needed they should issue one.
        Good point. However as I recall the agreement states not to let others use the permit !
        The managing agent knows the flat's let out.

Comment

I agree your best bet is to try to get a replacement from the freeholder. I would also try to get formal permission to assign the permit to the tenant of the property - the managing agents may already know, but it would be better to get it in writing.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesknight0 View Post
            I would have thought you could reasonably reclaim the money from the tenancy deposit. Have you already tried this and failed?
            I realise you want to let the flat with the benefit of parking, but I think pragmatically in the future, you might as well let the tenant make their own parking arrangements.

By the way, are you sure the tenant has lost it? Some of my flats are handy for the shops, and it is not unknown for previous tenants to continue to use the parking long after the tenancy is over. Just a thought!
            She didn't pay her last month's rent so the deposit's gone on that month's rent. There's no protection of deposits from the LL's point of view I'm afraid.
            Luckily the new tenant's moving in next weekend don't have a car but would like the permit for visitors.
            Having said that, in future I'm not going to let tenants have the permit unless they own a car. If the permit gets used only for visitors they can obviously all too easily drive off with it & it gets lost.
            As regards the ex tenant or their friend's using the permit. That permit should be made void. They should get clamped for it. The system should be such that a new permit is issued with a new serial number & the clampers are made aware of the number of the void one.
            All this is too much bother for the freeholder, the managing agent & the clampers. It's understandable that they simply say 'no duplicates' it's the easy way out for them. It does seem unfair though.
            If I jump up & down too much they might decide they won't renew the permit in Oct because there is no legal obligation on the part of the freeholder to issue a permit to me the leaseholder.

Comment

Originally posted by Pobinr View Post
              If I charge the tenant a separate deposit for the permit, can it be treated as outside of the deposit registration scheme without infringing the law on tenant's deposits ?
              p.s. A deposit is any money held as security against the tenant's obligations in the TA. Not worth the risk of falling foul of the legislation. Simplest just to increase the deposit amount, and add a provision for loss of permit in the TA (assuming you can't get a duplicate if lost).

Comment

Originally posted by jamesknight0 View Post

I've emailed 'mydeposits.co' to see if I can do that or If not then see if I can simply take a separate deposit for the permit that could hopefully be outside the deposit scheme as it's not the flat as such.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Single parent renting
                  by Hudson01
                  This may just be one part of it, as ' ash72' states there are a lot less rental properties now (and it will get worse in the future), rents have sky rocketed and a LL can simply pick and choose the very very best tenant. It has become even more important than ever to get the right tenant, this is due...
                  18-05-2022, 19:40 PM
                • Single parent renting
                  by Dct
                  A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
                  18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
                • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                  by Hudson01
                  As 'ash72' states you may be angry at the perceived way in which the landlord has treated you but do not mix the two up, If you wish to take on more stress after you have been evicted and may still be looking for a place to live...... which with a CCJ will be all but impossible, go ahead, but i would...
                  18-05-2022, 19:14 PM
                • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                  by Forgetmeknot
                  I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
                  so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
                  18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
                • Reply to Let a house to local council
                  by ram
                  If you are in flats, with service charges, the buildings insurance for residential Landlords insurance ( the Landlord of the freehold, that insures the building ) The insurance company may well cease immediately the insurance coverage.

It happend to our block of flats ( I was the Co. Sec,
                  18-05-2022, 18:54 PM
                • Let a house to local council
                  by r3drum
                  Guys

Have a property which is currently marketed for rent ( 2 bedroom - fully renovated ). Been about 3 weeks and not had much interest shown.

Anyone got information or first hand knowledge around renting the property to the local councils or any other authorities which guarantee...
                  20-11-2019, 11:58 AM
                • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                  by theartfullodger
                  'phone Shelter 0808 800 4444 for advice.
                  18-05-2022, 18:31 PM
                • Reply to Is my estate agent misleading me?
                  by abimsalabim
                  As I said in the original post, the deposit is NOT in a Tenancy Deposit Scheme but, instead is being held directly by the Agent....
                  18-05-2022, 18:31 PM
                • Is my estate agent misleading me?
                  by abimsalabim
                  I am a Landlord and I have a company tenancy which has now come to an end. I did a check-in inventory before the tenant moved in and I have done a check-out inventory now that they have moved out, and there are damages to my property by the tenant. The deposit is being held by the agent and is not in...
                  18-05-2022, 14:15 PM
                • Reply to Is my estate agent misleading me?
                  by abimsalabim
                  If the agent is refusing the mediate the dispute between the tenant and myself but, is instead asking me to go to court, what are my options in terms of penalising the agent? Apart from firing them, can I get compensation from them failing to provide their services?...
                  18-05-2022, 18:29 PM
                Working...
                X