illegal Eviction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tinky View Post
    I was in a similar position recently (had been illegally evicted by LL) we went to see the tenancy relations officer at the local council who was fantastic. They sorted out everything put us intouch with the council solicitor who had us in court within hours of it happening and we were back in that night.
    That's great - I'm glad it worked out for you. However (as I discovered recently when I wanted to contact one on behalf of my daughter), unfortunately, not all councils have a tenancy relations officer (or anything resembling one).
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Just to let you guys know, thanks for your help, I sent a emailtonight ( only contact address I have stating the following:

Code:
      Tenant Address

LL address

Dear LL

Tenancy Address

I am the former tenant of the above property. My assured shorthold tenancy agreement is dated 31 January 2009
      On 31 January 2009 I paid you a deposit of £953,66 as security
      against my obligations in the tenancy agreement.  Since then:

1. I believe you have not met the initial requirements of an authorised tenancy deposit protection
      scheme; and
      2. I have not been able to obtain confi rmation from any scheme administrator that my deposit is being held in accordance with such a scheme; and
      3. I have not received the prescribed information which you are required by law to send me within 14 days of receiving my deposit

In the circumstances, I am entitled to have my deposit refunded and you are requested to attend to this within 7 days of the date of this letter.

If I do not hear from you within 7 days, with satisfactory evidence that you have complied with the obligations
      which the law imposes on you, I will begin legal proceedings to recover my deposit without further recourse to you. My claim will include a claim for any interest, costs and compensation to which I may be entitled.

Yours sincerely

Tenant

Comment

Guys you've been really helpful thus far, can I ask one more question?

I no longer live in London now and about 100 miles away, I dont expect the LL to respond to the above request (was that ok?) can I lodge the claim at my local county court where I am at the folks at present or does it have to be lodged in London where the tenancy was?

Comment

You can lodge it at your local court or the court local to the property/LL.

The LL could and probably will contest the jurisdiction of the court to hear the case, unless the court you lodge the claim at is local to him/her. If it isn't, the LL can apply to have the case moved to their local court.

Its the right of the defendant to have the case heard in their local court - as far as I know. If I'm wrong, could those versed in the law please correct.

Comment

Originally posted by havensRus View Post
            You can lodge it at your local court or the court local to the property/LL.

The LL could and probably will contest the jurisdiction of the court to hear the case, unless the court you lodge the claim at is local to him/her. If it isn't, the LL can apply to have the case moved to their local court.

Its the right of the defendant to have the case heard in their local court - as far as I know. If I'm wrong, could those versed in the law please correct.
            thanks much appreciated

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X