Scaffolding up for 2 months

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Scaffolding up for 2 months

    My brother is has been renting a nice house since end of november 2009
    On 27th December 2009 scaffolding went up to the front of all 14 houses in the complex due to leeking roofs, no one has done anywork on the properties since .He know has a letter saying scaffolding will be going up on the back of the houses this week and work will be started soon .
    He is wondering whether to ask for compensation but does not want to fall out with the Landlord
    Is he entitled to ask for this and if so to what amount?
    Any response would be welcome

  • #2
    To what extent is the scaffolding [yes, I know that it's unsightly!] actually affecting his enjoyment of the property or residence there?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Jane Wild View Post
      My brother is has been renting a nice house since end of november 2009
      On 27th December 2009 scaffolding went up to the front of all 14 houses in the complex due to leeking roofs, no one has done anywork on the properties since .He know has a letter saying scaffolding will be going up on the back of the houses this week and work will be started soon .
      He is wondering whether to ask for compensation but does not want to fall out with the Landlord
      Is he entitled to ask for this and if so to what amount?
      Any response would be welcome
      Has water been pouring into his home? Has he been unable to get in and out of the property during the time the scaffolding has been up? Has he suffered any financial loss?

      If the answer to these questions is 'no', please explain why you think he may be entitled to compensation.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

      Comment


      • #4
        Maybe he'd rather the scaffolding didn't go up and the roof kept leaking, hopefully damaging his property, thereby providing justification to claim compo?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
          Maybe he'd rather the scaffolding didn't go up and the roof kept leaking, hopefully damaging his property, thereby providing justification to claim compo?
          Now that has just a whiff of cyncism about it, Eric

          I once spent six months of my life climbing in and out of scaffolding in front of a property. It went right across the frontage including the only door which opened, making no concessions to anyone who wanted to get in or out. I became very well-organised, not to mention supple. Limbo dancing now holds no fear for me.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

          Comment


          • #6
            My brother is paying a premium to rent a house which is in a new in a gated complex. He would not have rented it if he was told that after a month of being there the place would look like a building site.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
              I once spent six months of my life climbing in and out of scaffolding in front of a property. It went right across the frontage including the only door which opened, making no concessions to anyone who wanted to get in or out. I became very well-organised, not to mention supple.
              Hey, you know what - so did I! It was a basement tenement in Glasgow about 25 years ago; the particularly offending pole was about waist high...

              Comment


              • #8
                So you see, OP, every cloud has a silver lining! Eric and I are living proof that the human spirit can survive a prolonged period of scaffolding.

                Perhaps it is all a question of perspective. If you could persuade your brother to think of the scaffolding more as as an additional layer of security in his gated complex, then his feelings towards it would be far more positive. He may even grow to like it.
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

                Comment


                • #9
                  I appreciate that scaffolding is unsightly. I am guessing with fourteen houses in a complex, this matter is not directly in your brother’s landlord’s control. Please be more patient.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    My mate had scaffolding up at his place for months, it seems that some scaffolding companies lack any kind of storage and just move the stuff from one job to the next, and a problem arises when the next job hasn’t come along yet.
                    I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Mars Mug View Post
                      My mate had scaffolding up at his place for months, it seems that some scaffolding companies lack any kind of storage and just move the stuff from one job to the next, and a problem arises when the next job hasn’t come along yet.
                      Yes, scaffolding seems to be a law unto itself. Even if you hired it and then want it to go, it will still be there for ages until some unknown person decides it has to be moved.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by westminster View Post
                        Yes, scaffolding seems to be a law unto itself. Even if you hired it and then want it to go, it will still be there for ages until some unknown person decides it has to be moved.
                        Think of it as modern art. A la Pompidou Centre. Paint it a gay colour (as it advises in my 1957 'Happy Home' manual).
                        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                          Think of it as modern art. A la Pompidou Centre. Paint it a gay colour (as it advises in my 1957 'Happy Home' manual).
                          I think that's an excellent and constructive idea. Until the scaffold company sues you for painting their scaffolding in a gay colour.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by westminster View Post
                            I think that's an excellent and constructive idea. Until the scaffold company sues you for painting their scaffolding in a gay colour.
                            Easy. Do it at the dead of night when nobody can see you. Then swallow the paintbrush (evidence).

                            There is always a way round these things!

                            We are sooooooooooooooooo on our way to TAB....................Come on Mr Mod. We're all yours. We don't give a damn!
                            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Posts relating to gaily painted scaffolding have been moved to the rainbow paint forum.

                              Comment

                              Latest Activity

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X