Trying to evict a tennant

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trying to evict a tennant

    Please Help? i have had to issue a section 8 notice to a DSS tennant. she has not been living at the house for 4 weeks.
    she is 8 weeks in arrears, and has left a lot of rubbish, the environmental health has issued a notice stating the rubbish is to be removed with 2 weeks or face a fine of £1000.
    i have been trying to get in touch will her for two weeks,i have texted her to state i will change the locks etc , she replied (at last) to this stating i cant?
    Q - can i simply change the locks - attach a notice stating my contact details, i understand this might incur a charge of forable eviction, what will this cost me?
    Q - will i recieve the enviromental fine since i am the landlord or wil she since she is the tenant?

  • #2
    Originally posted by michaelr View Post
    can i simply change the locks - attach a notice stating my contact details, i understand this might incur a charge of forable eviction, what will this cost me?
    Ooh, a prison sentence, perhaps?

    More likely a potentially heavy fine, but the message is the same - don't go there.

    Have a read of this article on "abandonment".


    • #3
      I agree with Eric, that abandonment might be your best course, though as the tenant has contacted you and specifically stated that you can't change the lock, I feel you'd have difficulty proving abandonment.


      • #4
        Thanks Guys!


        • #5
          TENANT possibly has abandoned

          your safest option is to get an order for possession. Just possibly, however irksome it might be, it might be to your advantage to offer the tenant £100 to formally surrender the tenancy to you as it will cost you much more than this to get the order, and Easter will be a memory by the time you regain possession going the legal route.......


          Latest Activity


          • Mice in the flat - what to do?
            We have had mice for a while now. There's only one or two that we see (we're not overrun) but still, they've left urine stains in our cupboard and behind the skirting it's ridiculously filthy and soiled.

            Are we legally able to pay for a cleaner then subtract it from our rent next month...
            26-07-2017, 06:02 AM
          • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
            I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
            Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
            24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
          • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
            Are you effectively saying it is standard for a freeholder to have access to build?
            I have looked at the lease, can anyone advise on someone that make the lease clear to me?...
            26-07-2017, 06:01 AM
          • Tenant application form
            Hi all!

            So we are just about to put our flat on the market to rent is there anywhere we can get a ODF application form that we can email to any prospective tenants?

            Thanks in advance,

            25-07-2017, 20:14 PM
          • Reply to Tenant application form
            You really need two forms.
            a) A simple one for first-pass selection containing your basic questions. The point of this one is to help you decide if you are going to waste any time at all (and the tenant's time), even on a viewing.
            b) A much more complicated one (have you ever failed to leave...
            25-07-2017, 23:54 PM
          • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
            I would expect any competent solicitor to have drafted the lease to give as many rights of access for building and repair as the freeholder was likely to want. You'd need to look at the lease to know.
            25-07-2017, 22:57 PM
          • Non- protected deposit, and disputes
            Q1 – Where is the rented property located? England

            Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this? Multiple tenants (a couple) - one tenancy agreement

            Q3 – What date did current TA start 01/11/2016

            Q4 – How long was initial fixed term 6 months
            24-07-2017, 12:25 PM
          • Reply to Non- protected deposit, and disputes
            If by that you meant that an application have been made for voluntary striking off the company from the register, then you need to contact Companies House to object to it on the grounds that 1) it has traded or otherwise carried on business within the last 3 months 2) that you are a creditor and that...
            25-07-2017, 22:55 PM
          • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
            Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
            25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
          • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
            Would the same ring true if a tree had crushed the roof? Or some non-act of God event? Surely there is a limit to where the tenants responsibility ends and the landlord's begins?...
            25-07-2017, 22:07 PM