4 months deposit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 months deposit

is it legal to agree a 4 months deposit?

what are the implications?

Originally posted by TNT View Post
    is it legal to agree a 4 months deposit?
    Yes, but read this:

Originally posted by LandlordZone
    The amount of the deposit should be a maximum of two months' rent. If the deposit is more than this amount it could in theory count as a premium and may give the tenant an automatic right to assign the lease without the landlord's consent.

This eventuality of assignment should be precluded by the terms of the tenancy agreement anyway, but as a precaution the deposit should be kept below two months' rent.

Comment

According to Jeffrey, the premium thing only applies to contractual periodic tenancies.

See this post

Comment

would I have any issue to use DPS with a 4 month deposit?

thank you, clear answer

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
          According to Jeffrey, the premium thing only applies to contractual periodic tenancies.

See this post
          ...which implies that the advice I flagged up elsewhere on this site is wrong or at best misleading, then. Can it be altered?

(Jeffrey!?)

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
            ...which implies that the advice I flagged up elsewhere on this site is wrong or at best misleading, then. Can it be altered?

(Jeffrey!?)
            I've noticed that this idea about taking more than the equivalent of two months rent as deposit being illegal seems to be one of those continuing myths that never quite go away.

See this thread (which is where that Jeffrey post came from)
            http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ad.php?t=24825

And this one
            http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ad.php?t=25865

Comment

Originally posted by TNT View Post
              thank you, clear answer

I'm not aware of any limit to the deposit sum lodged with the DPS. Read their T&C in this link.

https://www.depositprotection.com/We...9-c5a53d3540e4

Comment

What I posted previously is still true. I can't help old myths re-circulating!
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                  What I posted previously is still true. I can't help old myths re-circulating!
                  But as Topic Expert don't you have some clout to get incorrect legal info on this site altered (ie in http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/deposits.htm ?)

Comment

Well, I am notifying Editor. It's up to him whether that information is to be altered!
                    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Termination of Tenancy
                      janeygee
                      Hi,
                      looking for some practical advice here, first post.I shall try to hit the main points and be brief.
                      I have been renting my house to a couple whilst I have been out of the UK with a private rental contract, visiting the house once a year. They have been renting for 10 years , on a one...
                      15-01-2018, 15:34 PM
                    • Reply to Termination of Tenancy
                      jpkeates
                      The tenant "gave" the landlord the light fittings and power sockets when they fitted them to the landlord's property.
                      They can't return the property with holes where they used to be - that isn't fair wear and tear.
                      They could replace them with sockets and light fittings equivalent...
                      16-01-2018, 09:19 AM
                    • Letting in name of a Ltd company
                      matt.svppli
                      Hi,

I have a quick question to ask.
                      Is it generally acceptable to sign a tenancy agreement in name of one's business and make rent payments via a business account?

The idea here is that part of the rented house would work as a home office, therefore I would like the payments...
                      15-01-2018, 14:16 PM
                    • Reply to Letting in name of a Ltd company
                      theartfullodger
                      That would be fraud (probably, based on what OP stated), a criminal offence...
                      16-01-2018, 09:18 AM
                    • Deposit not Protected
                      prm70115
                      Hi there,

I have recently found out the the agent (working for the landlord) has not protected my deposit paid Summer 2017 for a 6 month tenancy. The tenancy is up in 2 weeks and I have been asked if I want to renew which I would like to do as I wish to stay in the property.

15-01-2018, 11:42 AM
                    • Reply to Deposit not Protected
                      theartfullodger
                      You are, in my opinion, better off with an unprotected deposit. No s21 eviction notice can be valid until they return deposit in full & you can sue for up to 3xdeposit penalty. So don;t ask for it to be protected. If they anyway protect it both of these are still true.

Do nothing....
                      16-01-2018, 09:17 AM
                      KTC
                      You won't see my other response yet which got caught in moderation, which already made the same point. Just leave them to it whether you renew or not. If they still haven't protected the deposit and serve you the required prescribed information by 30 days after your renewed tenancy start or it going...
                      16-01-2018, 09:16 AM
                    • Reply to Letting in name of a Ltd company
                      jpkeates
                      That would make some sense, but that doesn't seem to be what's proposed here.

A property incorporating a "home office" isn't lodgings near a remote workplace....
                      16-01-2018, 09:09 AM
                      RedHitman
                      If you don’t renew it goes onto a periodic tenancy, yeah.
                      Most agents though want that extra income every year by charging a fee to renew the tenancy for another year or whatever, and if you don’t then they may use the threat of the s21 to either make you sign or make you go.
                      In your...
                      16-01-2018, 09:06 AM
                    • Neighbours are claiming for smoke damage to their property.
                      Hallie
                      My tenants accidentally set fire to my property causing catastrophic damage. Unfortunately I had let my building insurance lapse and so have had to pay for all refurbishment and damage myself. The house is still uninhabitable with no tenants living there. The fire service came out and the cause...
                      15-01-2018, 19:16 PM
                    Working...
                    X