Third Party Debt Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Third Party Debt Order

I had a hearing for a Third Party Debt Order a fortnight ago and the debtors bank didn't respond to the interim TPDO that had been sent to them, and didn't turn up for the hearing.

Judge adjourned the case until this Monday, and ordered the bank to respond to the order by 3/2/10.

I have just checked with the court and the bank hasn't responded - probably meaning I have another morning literally wasted at court this Monday.

Presumably judge will be 'a bit cross', but this is costing me time & money! Any suggestions how to proceed, and will the bank or the creditor be liable for my travel expenses and time if this is adjourned once more?

EDIT: I am wary of spending too much time/money because I suspect there are little or no funds in the account.

I would argue before the judge that the respondent's behaviour is inexcusable, and that, pursuant to the overiding objective at CPR 1, (cite as much as you like.... see below), the bank has been afforded plenty of opportunity (and has more than adequate resources) to represent itself, and that a final order should be granted.

You can elaborate, but you get the picture.

Further I would ask for costs on an indemnity basis given the bank's inexcusable conduct (make you sure you cite the correct part of the CPR dealing with costs as much as possible).

1.1 The overriding objective

(1) These Rules are a new procedural code with the overriding objective of enabling the court to deal with cases justly.
    (2) Dealing with a case justly includes, so far as is practicable-

(a) ensuring that the parties are on an equal footing;
    (b) saving expense;
    (c) dealing with the case in ways which are proportionate-

(i) to the amount of money involved;
    (ii) to the importance of the case;
    (iii) to the complexity of the issues; and
    (iv) to the financial position of each party;
    (d) ensuring that it is dealt with expeditiously and fairly; and
    allotting to it an appropriate share of the court's resources, while taking into account the need to allot resources to other cases.

Comment

Dominic, are you saying that I could possibly get the judge to order the bank to pay the full judgement, even if there aren't funds in the account? (In case it's relevant - original judgement was around £3k)

Comment

Snokerz: not quite, and bear in mind that while I am a lawyer, I am not a litigator, so please further research this yourself, seek advice etc to check I'm not talking nonsense!

What I am saying is that you may be able to get the court to order that the bank is to pay your costs for the hearings relating to the TPDO for which it was required to attend or make representations (but not the full judgment).

As I said, as it is a third party, the rules as to costs may be slightly different, so please check the relevant section in the CPR / PD dealing with awards of costs.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to MCOL & PCOL
          by Perce
          OS7

Yes you can start your application now. The sooner the better, I think, as it takes time. My solicitors applied in the middle of Jan but I have not heard anything yet neither from the County Court nor The High Court (I applied to both).

As far as I know the tenants...
          24-01-2021, 19:06 PM
        • MCOL & PCOL
          by OS7
          Hello Everyone,

Via Section 21,i have recently been granted a possession order for my property to happen in middle Jan 2021. The tenants are claiming housing benefit and they owe rent arrears and monies just under £7000 - I have applied for MCOL and now currently waiting to request judgement...
          04-01-2021, 14:16 PM
        • Reply to Tenant county court claim
          by alice123
          I would get the advice of a good solicitor , he will charge but he will be able to help
          I personally think you did all you could to prevent this and the fact that you have -

'we offered a professional mould clean, a dehumidifier and a to visit the flat to inspect the mould ourselves....
          24-01-2021, 18:51 PM
        • Tenant county court claim
          by Jennyturn
          Hello,

I would really appreciate some advice before I contact a solicitor.

In October my tenant reported that their was water coming in through a extractor fan via our agent. Who sent a contractor who recommended a damp report.

I agree to this and it stated damp...
          24-01-2021, 13:14 PM
        • Reply to MCOL & PCOL
          by OS7
          Thanks Perce.
          I hope to speak to council tomorrow to let them know my intentions to evict.
          I also wanted to ask about your HCEO proceedings. Have you heard anyyhing back.
          Could I also ask as I am going via county court enforcement, could I start the application now for county court...
          24-01-2021, 18:02 PM
        • Reply to What happens when furlough ends?
          by Neelix
          a bit like lots of UK benefits...
          24-01-2021, 17:39 PM
        • What happens when furlough ends?
          by JK0
          A worrying thought has occurred to me tonight. If furlough ends on 30th April, as I believe it's meant to, are we going to find loads more tenants unable to pay their rent?

I know one of mine is a taxi driver, and I'm amazed he's managed to come up with the rent so far.

Any...
          23-01-2021, 19:40 PM
        • Reply to Renting to a housing professional
          by Hudson01
          Covid or not, no one will walk over any of my rental thresholds without me first meeting them, never have and never will, I put this alone down to why after many years in the BTL arena i have had zero arrears and zero notable issues.

Its sounds odd behavior, that alone would be a no.
          24-01-2021, 17:24 PM
        • Renting to a housing professional
          by Celibin
          I have advertised a good size flat in a small town via an established Letting agent. A chap who lives some 60 miles away and will be working from home has got a colleague locally to visit the place and an offer has been made on it. (e will not be seeing the flat himself (as far as I am aware) and prefers...
          22-01-2021, 15:49 PM
        • Reply to What happens when furlough ends?
          by Hudson01
          I can see that point of view, my concern is the length of it and how people can easily become comfortable in getting paid very well for doing nothing at all, then getting back to work. My job has meant i have worked throughout the pandemic and in fact have been even more busy than normal, i have talked...
          24-01-2021, 17:09 PM
        Working...
        X