renewing tenancy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• renewing tenancy

I have a tenant who has come to the end of a 12 month agreement but who refuses to sign another one, he is still paying the rent and the letting agent has written to him telling him that the agreement has now lapsed and that if he stays and pays the rent he now is subject to a 2month notce period
    This is new to me, is it normal/legal, I don't want to end up with a sitting tenant but if he is paying the rent (and keeping the house in very good order I might add) I am happy to let him stay
    Any Advice
    Thanks

Is this letting in England & Wales, at a rate of rent not more than £25 000 per year? If yes and yes to those points, it's probably an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) unless any of the exclusions applies (see Schedules 1 and 2A to the Housing Act 1988). Assuming that it's an AST, there are these options when the fixed term expires:
    1. T leaves. Tenancy ends.
    2. T stays. You grant a new tenancy, whether fixed-term or explicitly periodic.
    3. T stays. You do not grant a new tenancy. Section 5 of Act creates a statutory periodic tenancy (SPT), continuing the fixed-term's tenancy relationship. If rent was monthly in advance during fixed term, that is also the case during the SPT.

Note that you cannot force T to agree to option 2.

Lastly, your T is not a 'sitting tenant'. That expression instead means someone who holds a tenancy created by a landlord (V) who sells to P; T simply then has a new landlord but the same tenancy.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thank you Jeffrey, that is very helpful

Comment

Tenancy renewal, eh?

That's a common ploy on the part of letting agents who are trying to squeeze unnecessary fees for unnecessary paperwork out of landlords and tenants alike.

Comment

Originally posted by relebats View Post
          he now is subject to a 2month notce period
          You can serve a section 21(4)(a) notice with 2 months notice - the tenant only needs to give one.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
            You can serve a section 21(4)(a) notice with 2 months notice.
            It's a precise two months only if served on the precisely-selected day. A Notice under s.21(4)(a) usually has to run-on to and inc. the end of a tenancy month as well (i.e. the first such month-end after a clear two-month period from the Notice date).
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
              It's a precise two months only if served on the precisely-selected day. A Notice under s.21(4)(a) usually has to run-on to and inc. the end of a tenancy month as well (i.e. the first such month-end after a clear two-month period from the Notice date).
              Jeffrey is (of course) correct. The point I was making is that the 2 months notice can not be imposed upon the tenant.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Prospective Tenant NOT viewing Property
                Guby
                When a prospective TT is located overseas and is viewing the property through a 3rd party (friend; family member; other agent) what implications or risks could be for the LL.

Could it be possible that after the overseas TT move in the property to start a long list of complaints as the property...
                29-07-2017, 09:49 AM
              • Ending tenancy early / returning advance rent
                purpleangel
                Landlord has served me with S21 to leave property by 10 September. 12 month AST in England. Tenancy has been difficult last few months, major delays in repairs and I am still waiting to be refunded for a locksmith call out a month ago. I paid 12 months rent in advance due to having CCJs.

25-07-2017, 21:35 PM
              • Reply to Ending tenancy early / returning advance rent
                Baldie91
                You are right, I have no idea why I put the return rent part, and I didn't explain it very well did I?

My point was, he can't force the tenant out before the 10th.

If the OP agreed to sign a deed of surrender, on the condition the rent for that period was returned, would be...
                29-07-2017, 09:28 AM
              • Tenant's energy debt.
                Gordonmrln
                I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
                20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
              • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
                MrShed
                It doesnt matter who requested to go to EON. It could have (probably was) the previous tenant, who paid all the bills.
                29-07-2017, 09:23 AM
              • tenant damage
                mylifestory
                Monday - tenants inform me they have no water. I'm away so advise them to ask neighbours and call water company as that's what it sounds like. I am right, water later restored.

Tuesday - tenant informs me water is coming through her ceiling (in huge storm we had 2 weeks ago) I advise...
                28-07-2017, 21:00 PM
              • Reply to tenant damage
                leaseholder64
                This doesn't make sense to me. If it is just a central heating boiler, it will either be, the old, open vent type of system, or a sealed system.

For an open vent system, the feed pressure will be limited by the height of the header tank, and any over pressure will cause it to pump over,...
                29-07-2017, 09:05 AM
              • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
                Gordonmrln
                Hi there, Just one more question and I don't know if you've already covered this or not. But will there be a paper trail or something going back to say who first introduced E.on to my property. Because the reason I ask is that some where along the line E.on was instructed by someone to supply energy...
                29-07-2017, 09:03 AM
              • Tenant vetting for a novice...
                RedHitman
                I know this seems like a very silly and novice question to those of you who are experienced Landlords, but I have to ask.

I am about to start advertising my first property to Let and I will be managing it myself. The problem I have is, I just don’t know what order the tenant finding process...
                28-07-2017, 11:19 AM
              • Reply to Tenant vetting for a novice...
                MisterB
                I started out about four years ago in he same position. I also chose not to use a LA. I joined NLA and read just about every post on this forum, whether it appeared relevant or not. I wrote a business plan, which proved invaluable and kept me focused on what I was trying to achieve.

I advertised...
                29-07-2017, 07:16 AM
              Working...
              X