L complains of poor service from E.On

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L complains of poor service from E.On

I thought other landlords should be made aware of the shoddy treatment I have received from E.On, who have wasted most of my day today and caused me endless aggravation. To recap:

My last tenant at this property defaulted on his utility bills, so E.On fitted a key meter - no surprises there. Now though, although the tenant (who was the one at fault) has gone, and despite the fact that I have other accounts with them on which I never defaulted, E.On are refusing to remove the offending key meter unless:

1) I pay a £50 charge,
    2) allow them to credit-check my business, AND
    3) I agree to go on direct debit

All this, for a vacant property whose landlord has an impeccable record!!

Not only that, but these imbeciles can't even issue a key so that I can have electricity there to have the property cleaned, because the key number they have given me was declined in two different shops.

I have already told them that if I can't have the property cleaned because of them, I will start chagrin them for loss of rent.

On a happier note, British Gas have confirmed to me that they will happily remove the prepayment meter as soon as the property starts being supplied by them in 28 days' time, AND they will do this free of charge and with no credit check or direct debit.

Oh, and to add insult to injury, after I wasted all day phoning E.On and runnign around to collect keys that could not be issued because the number was declined, when they finally issued a key it had ZERO credit on it (I understand they usually have at least £5).

E.On must be the cr@ppiest utility company in the UK.

Comment

...apart from all the others; have you ever tried to contact BG by telephone?
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
        ...apart from all the others; have you ever tried to contact BG by telephone?
        I know, BG used to be proverbially bad, but they have improved - no doubt as a result of Lisa Feguson v. British Gas!! LOL

Comment

But 0845 telephone numbers, still.
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
            But 0845 telephone numbers, still.
            E.On is on an 0845 number too.

I don't pay for 0845 or 0870 calls, but people who do may want to look up the number on http://www.saynoto0870.com/ as there is usually a national number alternative.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Renting a flat to a company
              Raiden328i
              In the small block were I live the guy below me in the shop me and my wife rent to him wants one of the flats next door which is now empty. He says he wants to stick his workers in it and I am just wondering how it works or if you can do it seeing as you have to register the deposit etc?
              21-07-2017, 14:02 PM
            • Reply to Renting a flat to a company
              MrShed
              *** UNHELPFUL POST ALERT ***

I've lost track of the number of times I've seen on this forum posts like this. Why would you consider going into business with someone who you dont trust due to previous issues? Walk away.

To answer slightly mroe definitively, you cant have a tenancy...
              21-07-2017, 14:19 PM
            • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
              MrShed
              I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
              20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
            • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
              jjlandlord
              The ones I have mentioned all explicitly state that they are compliant with Privacy Shield.

I mean, as said and repeated, if you are a cloud data provider in the EU and a minimum serious then your service complies with EU law...

Beyond that, they cannot check and be responsible...
              21-07-2017, 13:54 PM
              jpkeates
              The only popular (used by real people routinely) cloud supplier who claims compliance is Microsoft for Office 365 storage (since 2014).
              None of the other suppliers, as far as I can find out, claim to be compliant - although it's fudged on most of their "help" pages.

I am...
              A data storage strategy is important because digital storage media are inherently unreliable and all file formats and physical storage media will ultimately become obsolete.
              21-07-2017, 13:44 PM
              jjlandlord
              Read my comments again... Thank you for your contribution to the thread.

Privacy Shield has only been mentioned in relation to compliance with current rules.

As said, I'm sure providers will update their operations to comply with the GDPR,...
              21-07-2017, 13:33 PM
              MrShed
              I feel that GDPR is being misunderstood here (which is common).

Privacy Shield is one tick box (of many) towards GDPR compliance. It allows the "transfer" of data outside of the EU jurisdiction.

However, it doesnt (for example) address the needs for the Data Controller...
              21-07-2017, 13:25 PM
              tatemono
              backblaze is one such "serious" provider... and yet it doesn't let you choose....
              21-07-2017, 13:15 PM
              jjlandlord
              It currently allows to send data to the US legally. As said, if your provider either keeps the data in the EU or complies with Privacy Shield then there is no problem.

I have no doubt that storage providers will adapt to the GDPR so as to continue doing business legally in the EU. Landlords...
              21-07-2017, 12:20 PM
              jpkeates
              I was responding to this point.

And said

Many landlords store data on their phones, laptops and PCs.
              They don't have a data strategy in place, they just have documents and files that hold personal data.
              Those are often connected to a cloud service automatically...
              21-07-2017, 12:20 PM
            Working...
            X