Low-income new co-tenant... or permitted occupier?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low-income new co-tenant... or permitted occupier?

I'm probably about to offer an AST to a 'new' couple; he earns enough to cover the rent alone but she certainly doesn't.

I know there's the possible guarantor option to consider; but failing that, in terms of covering my back against the possibility of them splitting and him moving out leaving her in the property, is there any value to me in offering the tenancy to him as a sole tenant with her as a permitted occupier, as opposed to offering them a joint tenancy? ie, would it be easier to remove her that way?

Any other considerations here?

If she is on as permitted occupier, as I understand it, it won't be any easier removing her if she decides to stay put. You'd still have to obtain possession through the normal channels. Unless you could "persuade" her to leave because she has no tenancy rights?? If she's earning at all, then best give them joint tenancies.

Comment

Perhaps you should look particularly carefully at the womans background.
      Has she a good rental history etc.?
      You will only have a problem if the man (following the anticipated breakup) gives proper notice to leave and she decides to stay on as long as possible.
      If you think this is a possibility but you still want to accept them as tenants, then you could ask for nearly two months deposit and/or a Guarantor.
      I think I'd feel slightly safer with him as sole tenant rather than joint tenant.

Comment

Thanks both. So that's one-all for joint tenant vs permitted occupier! Any legal eagles have a view?!

For sure I'm currently vetting them both, as I always do. They have no renting history as they are youngsters setting up their first home, which being realistic, is obviously a little different from letting to a couple who've been married 20 years. That said I have a good 'gut' feeling about them and provided the refs pan out I'm happy to take them on.

She does have an income, but just not enough to afford the rent alone.

Comment

I'd lean towards letting to both of them. Why would two joint and several debtors be a weaker 'covenant' than only one of them?
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I vote for joint tenants if she has any kind of income/is a worker; can't hurt to have someone else to claim against (for up to 6 years later), and it might help reinforce their sense of being a couple blah blah. Love is...individual and joint liability for the rent <3

And eviction is...eviction - much the same whoever it is you want rid of.

Mind you, in her shoes I wouldn't want to be JT in case the boyfriend did a runner (but I'm sure neither of them have any inkling that young love is not always forever).

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
              they are youngsters setting up their first home.
              They are both aged 18 or over, are they?
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I too would lean towards a joint tenancy.

The question is a good one, though, because there are circumstances when a sole tenancy might be better. For example, if you think the main earner is likely to leave very early on in the tenancy (long before the end of the initial six months in the case of a typical AST) leaving someone in situ who simply cannot afford the rent but who nevertheless enjoys a high degree of security. Or conversely, you think they may split up and you want the main earner to be in a stronger position to remove the other party (this assumes that they are not married).

These situations are reasonably common in the social housing sector where secure or fully assured tenancies are granted and secruity of tenure is much greater. It is not unusual for the landlord to require the relationship to have subsisted for a reasonable period of time before granting a joint tenancy.

In the case of assured shortholds, though, the issue is far less significant. It would be rare for such problems to arise right at the start of the tenancy.

As a result it is, generally, best to go for joint tenancies on the principle that, as others have pointed out, you have two people to sue rather than one.

Comment

Thanks very much people, I think that settles it then!

(and yes, both are over 18)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Renting a flat to a company
                    Raiden328i
                    In the small block were I live the guy below me in the shop me and my wife rent to him wants one of the flats next door which is now empty. He says he wants to stick his workers in it and I am just wondering how it works or if you can do it seeing as you have to register the deposit etc?
                    21-07-2017, 14:02 PM
                  • Reply to Renting a flat to a company
                    MrShed
                    *** UNHELPFUL POST ALERT ***

I've lost track of the number of times I've seen on this forum posts like this. Why would you consider going into business with someone who you dont trust due to previous issues? Walk away.

To answer slightly mroe definitively, you cant have a tenancy...
                    21-07-2017, 14:19 PM
                  • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                    MrShed
                    I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
                    20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
                  • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                    jjlandlord
                    The ones I have mentioned all explicitly state that they are compliant with Privacy Shield.

I mean, as said and repeated, if you are a cloud data provider in the EU and a minimum serious then your service complies with EU law...

Beyond that, they cannot check and be responsible...
                    21-07-2017, 13:54 PM
                    jpkeates
                    The only popular (used by real people routinely) cloud supplier who claims compliance is Microsoft for Office 365 storage (since 2014).
                    None of the other suppliers, as far as I can find out, claim to be compliant - although it's fudged on most of their "help" pages.

I am...
                    A data storage strategy is important because digital storage media are inherently unreliable and all file formats and physical storage media will ultimately become obsolete.
                    21-07-2017, 13:44 PM
                    jjlandlord
                    Read my comments again... Thank you for your contribution to the thread.

Privacy Shield has only been mentioned in relation to compliance with current rules.

As said, I'm sure providers will update their operations to comply with the GDPR,...
                    21-07-2017, 13:33 PM
                    MrShed
                    I feel that GDPR is being misunderstood here (which is common).

Privacy Shield is one tick box (of many) towards GDPR compliance. It allows the "transfer" of data outside of the EU jurisdiction.

However, it doesnt (for example) address the needs for the Data Controller...
                    21-07-2017, 13:25 PM
                    tatemono
                    backblaze is one such "serious" provider... and yet it doesn't let you choose....
                    21-07-2017, 13:15 PM
                    jjlandlord
                    It currently allows to send data to the US legally. As said, if your provider either keeps the data in the EU or complies with Privacy Shield then there is no problem.

I have no doubt that storage providers will adapt to the GDPR so as to continue doing business legally in the EU. Landlords...
                    21-07-2017, 12:20 PM
                    jpkeates
                    I was responding to this point.

And said

Many landlords store data on their phones, laptops and PCs.
                    They don't have a data strategy in place, they just have documents and files that hold personal data.
                    Those are often connected to a cloud service automatically...
                    21-07-2017, 12:20 PM
                  Working...
                  X