Will we get the bond back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by michelle_stt View Post
    Charge me to remove light shades!! That is utterly ridiculous. I asked the LL to renew the floor in bathroom but he said no. It is lino and can easily be pulled up. And im not quite sure how painting can damage anything. Iv improved this house so much and now after your comments I have wasted my time and money and have put my bond at risk.
    As I said, LL would have to prove the damage/alterations were caused during the tenancy, and without an inventory check-in this may be difficult, though I imagine there will be evidence that the meters were replaced.

The LL is entitled to refuse to replace the bathroom floor if the problem was purely cosmetic and not a safety hazard.

Painting can very easily constitute damage, if it is a poor DIY job or violent colours are used meaning that the LL has to pay for professional redecoration.

Comment

I have just double checked my tenancy agreement and there is nothing about the meters. all it said was to notify the landlord if i change supplier which i didn't.

Iv also just been to sign my new tenancy with the new landlord and it clearly states that if other meters are installed then its my responsibility to reinstate original meters or i will be charged £100.

Comment

I have just double checked my tenancy agreement and there is nothing about the meters.
        But I bet it also says nothing about demolishing the house - but landlord would expect you to pay if you did!

Comment

I came here for help and some peoples comments have left me feeling stupid.

Comment

I have just double checked my tenancy agreement and there is nothing about the meters. all it said was to notify the landlord if i change supplier which i didn't.
            The contract probably says you're not allowed to make alterations.

You've had many optimistic comments regarding your question of whether the LL will deduct anything from your deposit. And some less optimistic ones. It wouldn't be much help if everyone told you only what you wanted to hear - the truth is you should have sought the landlord's permission for many of the things you did. The truth is also that you may get away with it because there's no inventory.

Comment

This old thread may be of interest;

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ad.php?t=22098
              I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

Comment

Thank you for the link. that was helpful. Iv been a brilliant tenant as told by the letting agent and this is the only problem.

Comment

Presumably you asked the questions because you were worried that changing the meters etc. might cause you to lose your deposit...

On the Utility Warehouse point, the reason L asks you not to change suppliers is because he gets a cut of your spend on electricity. Perceived wisdom is that he has no entitlement to require you to buy your electricity from a single supplier.

Comment

Originally posted by Telometer View Post

On the Utility Warehouse point, the reason L asks you not to change suppliers is because he gets a cut of your spend on electricity. Perceived wisdom is that he has no entitlement to require you to buy your electricity from a single supplier.
                    How does he do that? They did specifically say NOT to change which i didn't but they were very expensive and I got into £100's of debt.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
                      But I bet it also says nothing about demolishing the house - but landlord would expect you to pay if you did!
                      If my comment made you feel that way - I'm sorry. What I meant to show was that there are a million things you 'can't do' but the landlord can't list them all in the AST.

And, just to re-iterate
                      Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
                      I don't think you will have a problem, but it is worth remembering for future tenancies that you should only 'improve' the property with the landlords written permission - for your security.

Comment

Thanks. Hopefully everything will be ok and my house mov can be a stress free as possibile, although my 2 young children will cause stress!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X