Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlord's breach - how to terminate?

Hi,

I'm 4 months into a 12 month lease, and the Landlord has been in breach of the lease for almost the entire time (lack of repairs, mould and damp, not keeping the house in a fit state etc., despite numerous requests).

The landlord refuses to meet with us to discuss the ongoing issues, and so the only option it would seem is to terminate the lease on these grounds.

My questions are:
    1. How do we legally terminate the contract?
    2. How do we ensure our 6 week bond isn't witheld from us?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Catherine

is your bond in a Deposit protection scheme ?

Comment

Originally posted by cathad83 View Post
      Without knowing the full circumstances of the disrepair, you cannot end the tenancy on these grounds. However, you may be able to withold rent if the landlord is breaching his obligations under the tenancy, e.g. repairing obligations; there is a procedure for this on the England Shelter website. I'd suggest writing to the landlord directly. If still no response, depending on the severity of the disrepair, you may wish to contact the Council's EHO dept.

Ensure it's protected in one of the three government approved schemes*.

* If annual rent is no more than £25k.

Above answers assume tenancy is an AST in England and Wales.
      The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

Hi,

I'm 4 months into a 12 month lease, and the Landlord has been in breach of the lease for almost the entire time (lack of repairs, mould and damp, not keeping the house in a fit state etc., despite numerous requests).

The landlord refuses to meet with us to discuss the ongoing issues, and so the only option it would seem is to terminate the lease on these grounds.

My questions are:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Catherine
        If you seek to terminate early, without L's agreement, you'd need a Court Order- and the burden of proof would be on you.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
          If you seek to terminate early, without L's agreement, you'd need a Court Order- and the burden of proof would be on you.
          Do you?

I thought the right of recission on repudiatory breach (assuming LL is in repudiatory breach) does not need the court's sanction to be effective (although a dispute may arise which may lead to the court's intervention).

Comment

But, even if you're right, can you find any instances ever of L's repudiatory breach? I rather think that this is rare or even non-existent in L&T cases.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I probably won't be able to any, by definition, as instances where this has happened successfully, the court hasn't got involved, and therefore no case law exists.

However, there may be obiter remarks littered throughout various decisions.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                JP23
                Why must we continuously renew our deposit with the scheme each time we re-sign our AST i.e. every 12 months?

Why can the deposit not remain protected throughout the duration of the overall tenant occupation?

Is our landlord acting in questionable faith by asking us to pay...
                23-07-2017, 04:18 AM
              • Claiming for protected deposit
                mandm
                This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
                Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
                I served the...
                21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
              • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
                mariner
                Not protecting deposit correctly can deprive T of access to DPS & ADR.
                Providing T with DPS Cert. only is not LL providing full PI
                Many LLs cannot even serve a valid s21!

By all means let Ts police the scheme but limit their return to return of full deposit with 1-3x Penalty...
                23-07-2017, 03:16 AM
              • Referencing question
                kangoo1
                A couple wants to rent from me, she is on maternity leave and will not be returning to her previous employment, he is permanently employed and moving due to a job transfer. I have referenced him for the full rent and his guarantor has been successfully referenced.
                I am going to prepare the ast...
                22-07-2017, 17:19 PM
              • Reply to Referencing question
                mariner
                Ref both for the full rent. Is the G a house/property owner?
                23-07-2017, 02:38 AM
              • Mouldy silicone wear and tear?
                aciduzzo
                Tenants are moving out today and i am doing the final inspection later; however, last time i was at the flat i noticed the bathroom was in a poor state.

What is the general opinion on black mould that has formed inside bathroom silicone? Is it considered wear and tear? Also, the seal...
                03-07-2017, 08:07 AM
              • Reply to Mouldy silicone wear and tear?
                mystic08
                You might like to gift your new tenants some Kilrock mould cleaner which is magic in a bottle! Cheapest in the Pound shop or The Range but supermarkets sell it too. Works brilliantly on algae too. Garden pots, patios, headstones etc.
                22-07-2017, 20:52 PM
              • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                MrShed
                I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
                20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
              • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                jjlandlord
                That's the exemption that allows sending data outside of the EEA, which is the issue discussed.

No, because of that very exemption....
                22-07-2017, 19:19 PM
              • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
                JK0
                I'll leave it at that. I'm not going to get into one of JPK's interminable arguments.
                22-07-2017, 16:28 PM
              Working...
              X