Landlord's breach - how to terminate?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Landlord's breach - how to terminate?

    Hi,

    I'm 4 months into a 12 month lease, and the Landlord has been in breach of the lease for almost the entire time (lack of repairs, mould and damp, not keeping the house in a fit state etc., despite numerous requests).

    The landlord refuses to meet with us to discuss the ongoing issues, and so the only option it would seem is to terminate the lease on these grounds.

    My questions are:
    1. How do we legally terminate the contract?
    2. How do we ensure our 6 week bond isn't witheld from us?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Catherine

    #2
    is your bond in a Deposit protection scheme ?

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by cathad83 View Post
      1. How do we legally terminate the contract?
      Without knowing the full circumstances of the disrepair, you cannot end the tenancy on these grounds. However, you may be able to withold rent if the landlord is breaching his obligations under the tenancy, e.g. repairing obligations; there is a procedure for this on the England Shelter website. I'd suggest writing to the landlord directly. If still no response, depending on the severity of the disrepair, you may wish to contact the Council's EHO dept.

      Originally posted by cathad83 View Post
      2. How do we ensure our 6 week bond isn't witheld from us?
      Ensure it's protected in one of the three government approved schemes*.


      * If annual rent is no more than £25k.

      Above answers assume tenancy is an AST in England and Wales.
      The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by cathad83 View Post
        Hi,

        I'm 4 months into a 12 month lease, and the Landlord has been in breach of the lease for almost the entire time (lack of repairs, mould and damp, not keeping the house in a fit state etc., despite numerous requests).

        The landlord refuses to meet with us to discuss the ongoing issues, and so the only option it would seem is to terminate the lease on these grounds.

        My questions are:
        1. How do we legally terminate the contract?
        2. How do we ensure our 6 week bond isn't witheld from us?

        Any help would be greatly appreciated!

        Catherine
        If you seek to terminate early, without L's agreement, you'd need a Court Order- and the burden of proof would be on you.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
          If you seek to terminate early, without L's agreement, you'd need a Court Order- and the burden of proof would be on you.
          Do you?

          I thought the right of recission on repudiatory breach (assuming LL is in repudiatory breach) does not need the court's sanction to be effective (although a dispute may arise which may lead to the court's intervention).

          Comment


            #6
            But, even if you're right, can you find any instances ever of L's repudiatory breach? I rather think that this is rare or even non-existent in L&T cases.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

            Comment


              #7
              I probably won't be able to any, by definition, as instances where this has happened successfully, the court hasn't got involved, and therefore no case law exists.

              However, there may be obiter remarks littered throughout various decisions.

              Comment

              Latest Activity

              Collapse

              Working...
              X