Can i change the locks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i change the locks?

Hi all, i need some advice. can someone please help?
    i am renting to DSS, have been for many years without any real problems until this one.
    she texted me three weeks ago stating she ahs been burgled , i stated i would fit an alarm.i arranged someone to fit it and tried to make an appiontment.
    i tried many times to contact her, left messages and eventually texted her to say i am going to view the property.
    After talking to neighbours, it turns out her boyfriend has been arrested for burgling his own home!

She has wrecked the house. Is not living there, has not been there for 4 weeks, minimum. I Photographed the mess and texted her to tell her I am changing the locks and getting a skip to remove the mess.
    She texted back (first reply to 10 calls) stating I cannot enter the property or change the locks.
    I have now issued a section 8 notice. Grounds - rent arrears (9 weeks) and wrecking property.

My question is I intend to change the locks and fix a notice to the door stating my contact details should anyone need to gain entry.
    After two weeks I intend to remove the belongings and re-let.

Is this legal??

Originally posted by michaelr View Post
    Hi all, i need some advice. can someone please help?
    i am renting to DSS, have been for many years without any real problems until this one.
    she texted me three weeks ago stating she ahs been burgled , i stated i would fit an alarm.i arranged someone to fit it and tried to make an appiontment.
    i tried many times to contact her, left messages and eventually texted her to say i am going to view the property.
    After talking to neighbours, it turns out her boyfriend has been arrested for burgling his own home!

She has wrecked the house. Is not living there, has not been there for 4 weeks, minimum. I Photographed the mess and texted her to tell her I am changing the locks and getting a skip to remove the mess.
    She texted back (first reply to 10 calls) stating I cannot enter the property or change the locks.
    I have now issued a section 8 notice. Grounds - rent arrears (9 weeks) and wrecking property.

My question is I intend to change the locks and fix a notice to the door stating my contact details should anyone need to gain entry.
    After two weeks I intend to remove the belongings and re-let.

Is this legal??
    Wrong forum (Res Lettings is best) but no, it is not. You can neither gain access, nor change the locks without her permission or until the tenancy is legally ended by a court order for possession. You will be granted this assuming your section 8 notice is correctly served and she still owes at least two months' rent at the time of the hearing.

If you try to regain possession (or even regain access) without her permission before then, she could claim illegal eviction. The fact that she appears to have left might count in your favour, but on the other hand, her stuff is still in there so she would have a case for saying she had only vacated temporarily and that she intended to return.

It is not worth the grief.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

thanks for your help, spose i'll stick it out, take her to court or hope she moves out on her own accord.
      if she does move all her belongings out, am i then legally OK to re-let?

Comment

Originally posted by michaelr View Post
        thanks for your help, spose i'll stick it out, take her to court or hope she moves out on her own accord.
        if she does move all her belongings out, am i then legally OK to re-let?
        Probably but not definitely, so I'd play safe if I were you. The fact that she knows her rights and told you what they were (she was right) suggests it would be safer to do everything by the book even if it means waiting a little longer. You might find this thread interesting (#9 onwards especially):
        http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...t=24640&page=3

Good luck - I bet you will be glad to get your property back after those two have finally bitten the dust.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
          MrShed
          I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
          20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
        • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
          jpkeates
          We can trade with anyone.
          What matters is the terms we trade on.

Currently we're beyond screwed.
          I wanted more for my children than being a pale version of a comic relief video....
          20-07-2017, 20:31 PM
          JK0
          Happy days! We can trade with the EU after Brexit then!...
          20-07-2017, 20:24 PM
          jpkeates
          That's two questions.

First, no.
          Second, no.

The EU trades with China on the basis that no personal data is migrated, same as the USA....
          20-07-2017, 20:23 PM
          JK0
          20-07-2017, 20:17 PM
          JK0
          So the EU requires anyone it trades with at the moment to comply with all the laws the EU complies with? Erm, doesn't most stuff come from China nowadays?...
          20-07-2017, 20:16 PM
        • RGI and housing benefit
          cdbe
          Hi, new to the forum and relatively new to letting. My situation is:

Couple view house, like it etc, seem OK to me. She's full time employed, he's currently unemployed but looking to start his own business as a tattoo artist. Still ok-ish. They pay me £100 holding deposit and £100 referencing...
          18-07-2017, 00:08 AM
        • Reply to RGI and housing benefit
          cdbe
          Thanks. I've binned them off. The ref co said what she earns won't cover it. TBH I don't know why I tried. I've offered her the holding deposit in full plus whatever I get back from uklandlord referencing.co (I paid them £140 - 110 for one reference and 1 year RGI and 30 for second reference, so basically...
          20-07-2017, 19:48 PM
        • Resident Landlord tenancy
          Rocky1001
          Hi all, need some advice please.

I'm in the process of letting my flat out but am struggling to work out exactly what type of tenancy I should be using, from my research I believe it should be a form of Excluded resident landlord tenancy but I can't seem to find a suitable template as...
          10-07-2017, 12:55 PM
        • Reply to Resident Landlord tenancy
          Rocky1001
          Hi, thanks for that, so would it make a difference if I offer shared use of the main bathroom and not just limit the tenant to their en-suite in their self contained section?
          Also can I ask recommendation regarding best way of handling council tax?

I assume their are existing templates...
          20-07-2017, 17:40 PM
        Working...
        X