Reissue s21

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Reissue s21

    I have served my tenant with a s21 as follows:
    - Periodic tenancy
    - Rent due date 18th calendar day
    - s21 served 20 Dec 2009
    - Expiry date of notice 18 March 2010

    I am now prepared to allow the tenant to stay until 18 April 2010. Can I simply serve another s21 before 18 February (thereby giving them 2 months' notice) to supersede the previous notice or must I wait until 18 March when the current notice expires?

    Thank you

  • #2
    No need to do either. Your s21 will be valid for the remainder of this tenancy.

    However, are you sure your dates are right?

    Did the original tenancy end on the 17th of the month?
    In which case, your s21 should expire "After 17th March 2010"


    • #3
      Originally posted by Edd View Post
      I have served my tenant with a s21 as follows:
      - Periodic tenancy
      - Rent due date 18th calendar day
      - s21 served 20 Dec 2009
      - Expiry date of notice 18 March 2010
      Further to snorkerz' comment, the "rent due date" isn't how one works out the periods in a statutory periodic tenancy.

      Regardless of what day of the month rent is due, the periods begin the day after the fixed term expired. For example, if last day of the fixed term was the 5th, then the statutory periodic tenancy would begin on the 6th, periods run 6th - 5th of the month, and the notice would have to say LL seeks possession after the 5th of the month.

      Of course, it's quite often the case that the rental periods coincide with the rent due dates.


      • #4
        I agree. Once it goes periodic, the only relevance of the fixed-term's "rent due" dates is in deciding the applicable period of the continuation tenancy.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).


        Latest Activity


        • Mice in the flat - what to do?
          We have had mice for a while now. There's only one or two that we see (we're not overrun) but still, they've left urine stains in our cupboard and behind the skirting it's ridiculously filthy and soiled.

          Are we legally able to pay for a cleaner then subtract it from our rent next month...
          26-07-2017, 06:02 AM
        • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
          I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
          Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
          24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
        • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
          Are you effectively saying it is standard for a freeholder to have access to build?
          I have looked at the lease, can anyone advise on someone that make the lease clear to me?...
          26-07-2017, 06:01 AM
        • Tenant application form
          Hi all!

          So we are just about to put our flat on the market to rent is there anywhere we can get a ODF application form that we can email to any prospective tenants?

          Thanks in advance,

          25-07-2017, 20:14 PM
        • Reply to Tenant application form
          You really need two forms.
          a) A simple one for first-pass selection containing your basic questions. The point of this one is to help you decide if you are going to waste any time at all (and the tenant's time), even on a viewing.
          b) A much more complicated one (have you ever failed to leave...
          25-07-2017, 23:54 PM
        • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
          I would expect any competent solicitor to have drafted the lease to give as many rights of access for building and repair as the freeholder was likely to want. You'd need to look at the lease to know.
          25-07-2017, 22:57 PM
        • Non- protected deposit, and disputes
          Q1 – Where is the rented property located? England

          Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this? Multiple tenants (a couple) - one tenancy agreement

          Q3 – What date did current TA start 01/11/2016

          Q4 – How long was initial fixed term 6 months
          24-07-2017, 12:25 PM
        • Reply to Non- protected deposit, and disputes
          If by that you meant that an application have been made for voluntary striking off the company from the register, then you need to contact Companies House to object to it on the grounds that 1) it has traded or otherwise carried on business within the last 3 months 2) that you are a creditor and that...
          25-07-2017, 22:55 PM
        • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
          Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
          25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
        • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
          Would the same ring true if a tree had crushed the roof? Or some non-act of God event? Surely there is a limit to where the tenants responsibility ends and the landlord's begins?...
          25-07-2017, 22:07 PM