shared electric meter

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    shared electric meter

    I have a tenant who has a sub meter for her electric, the landlord reads the meter monthly and then bills her for usage, the tenant is now disputing the charges and landlord is refusing to show her a copy of the actual utility bill from EON, can he do this and where does she stand, as she is refusing to pay the bill until she sees a copy.

    #2
    As the tenant purcheses her electricity from the landlord, it would be reasonable for the landlord to provide her with an statement of useage, similar to the bill provided by EON. However, the actual bill is for a contract between EON and the Landlord - if she went into the newsagent, she wouldn't expect to see the bill from the wholesaler before she bought a Mars bar.

    Comment


      #3
      shared electric

      he provides her with a spreadsheet of readings and unit costs, she has been in the property 4 months and has so far paid £425, he is now asking for another £271 for january, this seems extremely high and this is why she is disputing and is asking for proof that she is not paying his electric aswell, If he has nothing to hide why is he refusing to show her any bills.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by GEOFFALI View Post
        he provides her with a spreadsheet of readings and unit costs, she has been in the property 4 months and has so far paid £425, he is now asking for another £271 for january, this seems extremely high and this is why she is disputing and is asking for proof that she is not paying his electric aswell, If he has nothing to hide why is he refusing to show her any bills.


        Can the tenant see the meter to verify the landlords readings?

        Tenant could ask for a reading and then measure the electric she uses (roughly) as most electrical appliances have the wattage marked on them.

        A 2kw (2000w) fire uses 2 units of electricity for an hours use. A 100w lightbulb runs for 10 hours on one unit, etc etc.

        Maybe a one-week diary of useage would indicate if the bill is very wide of the mark.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
          However, the actual bill is for a contract between EON and the Landlord - if she went into the newsagent, she wouldn't expect to see the bill from the wholesaler before she bought a Mars bar.
          See ofgem's guidelines on the resale of electricity at
          http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/Consumers/Do...pdateoct05.pdf

          On page 4, it states:

          "The reseller must use reasonable endeavours to make an estimate of the applicable unit price, and must give the purchaser information about the price(s) upon which this calculation is based, if asked to do so."

          Hope that helps.

          Rebecca

          Comment


            #6
            Somethink like this can also be a help in calculating usage:

            http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OWL-WIRELESS-E...38088483455682

            Lots of local authorities and energy companies are giving them away to certain target groups.

            Ultimately, the information provided by the landlord is only as good as the meter, so it might be worth getting it checked for accuracy as well.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by reb223 View Post
              See ofgem's guidelines on the resale of electricity at
              http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/Consumers/Do...pdateoct05.pdf

              On page 4, it states:

              "The reseller must use reasonable endeavours to make an estimate of the applicable unit price, and must give the purchaser information about the price(s) upon which this calculation is based, if asked to do so."

              Hope that helps.

              Rebecca
              Accepting that, but it doesn't have to be the bill - it can be a print out of the tariff from the eon website. In fact, I haven't read the pdf you link to, but is there an obligation on the landlord to charge the same 'unit price' or is the above simply saying that the consumer must know how many units have been used and how much they will be charged for them.

              Comment


                #8
                GEOFFALI, please could you tell us:

                1 Roughly what size property does the tenant live in (house/flat/bedsit etc)
                2 Whether the electricity usage for which she is charged relates just to her room, or to the communal areas/whole property as well?
                3 Does she share with the LL or with other tenants, or live alone?
                4 Is there gas/oil at the property as well, or is the heating of space and water all electric?

                Sorry for the barrage of questions but whether the amount being charged is realistic or not will depend on the answers!
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
                  Accepting that, but it doesn't have to be the bill - it can be a print out of the tariff from the eon website. In fact, I haven't read the pdf you link to, but is there an obligation on the landlord to charge the same 'unit price' or is the above simply saying that the consumer must know how many units have been used and how much they will be charged for them.


                  From the second page of the .pdf;

                  “From 1 January 2003 the maximum price at which gas or electricity may be resold is the same price as that paid by the person who is reselling it (“the reseller”), including any standing charges”

                  And also

                  “Anyone who charges more than the maximum resale price may face civil proceedings for the recovery of the amount overcharged, and may be required to pay interest on the amounts overcharged”
                  I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Mars Mug View Post

                    From the second page of the .pdf;

                    “From 1 January 2003 the maximum price at which gas or electricity may be resold is the same price as that paid by the person who is reselling it (“the reseller”), including any standing charges”

                    And also

                    “Anyone who charges more than the maximum resale price may face civil proceedings for the recovery of the amount overcharged, and may be required to pay interest on the amounts overcharged”
                    .
                    Thanks

                    Comment

                    Latest Activity

                    Collapse

                    • Reply to Tricky Situation: Moving out - Furniture
                      by london91
                      Thanks for commenting.

                      Thing is, as a friend, she was helping me search for items. So about 4 things we found, she found on her Shpock account. However, I always covered expenses whether she found an item or I did....
                      25-10-2021, 08:12 AM
                    • Tricky Situation: Moving out - Furniture
                      by london91
                      I want to get opinions on a matter that's related to moving out and furniture.

                      I rent a 2 bedroom house. I have a relaxed landlord that does the minimum but she's kind and mostly fair. I'm very good friends with her granddaughter. Sometimes the line is blurry with tenant-landlord communication...
                      24-10-2021, 22:38 PM
                    • Reply to Tricky Situation: Moving out - Furniture
                      by jpucng62
                      If you found the frames, arranged collection and paid the costs of collection I would suggest they are yours. If your friend is going to insist on them staying at the cost of your friendship she isn't much of a friend.

                      I would take everything with me except what was on the inventory when...
                      25-10-2021, 06:59 AM
                    • Reply to Joint tenancy agreement, 1 tenant has already moved out
                      by Yorkie2020
                      Thank you for the info. The house she rented from me a few years ago is and was solely in my name, I used to live there as a teenager and it's just around the corner from her mum. All of the money she paid went to her mum to be repaid to her for a deposit on a house.

                      The house she rented...
                      25-10-2021, 06:16 AM
                    • Joint tenancy agreement, 1 tenant has already moved out
                      by Yorkie2020
                      Good evening all,

                      I wonder if I could get some advice on ending an AST tenancy in England.

                      Originally a 6 month AST last Sept between my niece and her partner, I foolishly listed both on the AST as joint tenants and didn't list him as a permitted, there was no deposit paid....
                      20-10-2021, 19:44 PM
                    • Reply to Compulsory Landlord Training & Registration
                      by Hudson01
                      royw - Well said, if only, we have far too many 'hangers-on' and those with a vested interest in doing the very least for the very most.

                      Any scheme introduced which will be administered by the local authorities will be an exercise in futility, they will take our money and pocket it, simply...
                      24-10-2021, 20:45 PM
                    • Compulsory Landlord Training & Registration
                      by landlord-man
                      Compulsory Landlord Training & Registration

                      Sadly, the more and more time I spend on this forum, the more I'm coming round to the idea.

                      NRLA training is straight-forward and very cheap, people should take a look. There is the added benefit of all the advice and forms etc...
                      Keep things as they are
                      25.00%
                      1
                      Have a Compulsory (cost sensible) Training Requirement for Landlords
                      0%
                      0
                      Have a Compulsory (free) Landlord Database to be operated by NRLA (or similar)
                      25.00%
                      1
                      Have a Compulsory (free) Landlord Database controlled by Local Authorities
                      50.00%
                      2
                      24-10-2021, 09:37 AM
                    • Reply to Compulsory Landlord Training & Registration
                      by royw
                      They should start by making sure letting agents know what they're doing.
                      No register will be free, we will be paying the inflated salaries of yet more pen pushers. The law abiding will pay for it and the rogue landlords will continue to ignore regulations just as they do now. IMO the country...
                      24-10-2021, 20:14 PM
                    • Reply to Compulsory Landlord Training & Registration
                      by Ted.E.Bear
                      In the EPC consultation there is a suggestion of a national register, at a cost of £30 per property.

                      "we are proposing to expand the scope of the current PRS Exemptions Register and redesign it as a property compliance and exemptions database operated by a third-party provider. "...
                      24-10-2021, 16:43 PM
                    • Reply to Compulsory Landlord Training & Registration
                      by jpucng62
                      We also need tenants to educate themselves - the How to Rent guide is so basic and by the time they receive it it is too late. Tenants calling out LLs on EPCs, gas safety, EICRs would encourage LLs to be compliant and we could identify tenants who are complicit in poor standards in return for cheap...
                      24-10-2021, 16:10 PM
                    Working...
                    X