Gas bills huge, so putting it on boiler on timer.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas bills huge, so putting it on boiler on timer.

Hi everyone, I have a sixbedroomed HMO a really nice house, very well maintained, also a cleaner once a week. Whilst doing this we have some really good tenants always pay on time etc

Only problem we have and it is turning into a big problem, is the heating is left on constant. When we have been to house to do alarm check etc it is roasting and no one is at home, the gas bill has just come in and it is 3 times as much as I normally allowfor gas within the total rental cost for each room. In the past we have never had this problem but a tenant remarked to the cleaner that it was for 'free'

However we cannot endure another bill like this from our own pockets, so our gas engineer is putting in a separate device connected to the boiler so we can set thermostat and also the times the boiler will come on and off.

The AST that the tenants have says about heating , '...all bills included but electric and gas bills are reviewable every month..'.

I was going to send them a letter tomorrow explaining what was going to be done and why, does anybody have any views on this and if I am legally doing anything wrong.

We are very good to our tenants and generally go overboard, lost keys to rooms, locked out, etc and never charge them, but someone is abusing this and we cannot afford it.
    Thanks in advance

Hi, we are in a similar situation to you - gave the readings to eon and when they told me i owed them £1800 i just wanted to cry. Like you I had found the house to be empty - but rather sauna like. I have also now put a timer on the boiler and increased rent by £10 per month (again we have good tenants but I need something a bit extra to cover this). At the end of the day inclusive bill arrangements can only work when tenant's are not taking the P - once they do that then the rent will be EXCLUSIVE. It's a buy to let you're running not a charity!

Comment

Hi, sjcollett
      thanks for your reply, glad to see if it is working out better for you.
      Fingers crossed for me

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Whos responsible for slow draining bathroom sink and black grout? Landlord or Tenant?
        Bounce
        Hi

I was wondering if anybody could help me and tell me who could be responsible Landlord or Tenant?

One of my properties, the tenant has been in there about 2 years and normally has always called me direct for any little problem.

I then went through months where...
        Black Grout they want me to get redone...
        17-01-2018, 21:53 PM
      • Reply to Whos responsible for slow draining bathroom sink and black grout? Landlord or Tenant?
        Bounce
        In regards to this, I attended the property today with a plumber, as he tenants claimed they had tried using some sink unblocker and plunger etc...

When we were shown the sink she now decides to tell us that since using the sink unblocker it doesn't seem to bad (she could have told me this...
        19-01-2018, 23:13 PM
      • Joint tenancy - end fixed term
        Nottinverno
        Hello,

need some advice, please, I'm getting mad at this.

I have a joint tenancy, renting a flat through an agency with other 2 people, ending end January.
        I have decided to move out and I gave my notice (to both the agency and my flatmates) last end November, however...
        09-01-2018, 14:29 PM
      • Reply to Joint tenancy - end fixed term
        KTC
        Ask the solicitor for their interpretation of section 5(5)(b) of the Housing Act 1988 regarding giving a notice to quit on the first day of the statutory periodic tenancy.
        19-01-2018, 22:54 PM
      • Reply to Joint tenancy - end fixed term
        Nottinverno
        Oh nono, I have to leave at the end of Feb. I have already moved forward my move and luckily the new landlord is flexible, but I can't stay other 2 months in my current place.
        It really seems that as soon as the periodic roll starts I can serve 1 month notice, so by end Feb I should be able to...
        19-01-2018, 22:48 PM
      • Payment Break
        OlliesDad
        I have a great long-term tenant who, along with her husband and daughter has been with me for nearly 5 years. Unfortunately the husband has done the dirty and left leaving her with nothing but debts. Her finances are in a mess and she has said she may need to move in with family whilst she sorts herself...
        18-01-2018, 21:27 PM
      • Reply to Payment Break
        royw
        You have a good tenant and if it were me I'd be looking for ways to keep her rather than evict her. Might be worth having a chat and find out how much she can afford now and in the long-term. If she can afford it on her own once the debts are cleared possibly offer her a reduced rent for a year equivalent...
        19-01-2018, 22:26 PM
      • Tenants not vacated at check-out
        tatemono
        Had a lovely young couple with a baby in our property for about 8 months, they gave notice to leave as he'd moved out after they split up and she couldn't afford rent. Sad situation for them. Property has been on market since.

Anyway, yesterday our very competent and well-trusted long-standing...
        09-01-2018, 08:58 AM
      • Reply to Tenants not vacated at check-out
        KTC
        If it were a notice to quit given during a periodic tenancy, as opposed to an agreement with the landlord during the fixed term, then tenancy has ended. Validity of a notice to quit does not depend on whether the tenant follow up and acting in accordance to it. A notice to quit is not a notice of intention....
        19-01-2018, 22:20 PM
      • Reply to Tenants not vacated at check-out
        buzzard1994
        But the notice wasn't valid because the tenant did not give up possession. The notice is an intention to end the tenancy but the tenant remains in possession so they did not end the tenancy. If it was the end of a fixed term that would be different....
        19-01-2018, 22:06 PM
      Working...
      X