Deposit protection for new tenancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit protection for new tenancy

A&B take out an AST and pay a deposit, which is protected.
    A&B separate, and A signs a new AST for same property. Original deposit is not returned, but carries on for new tenancy.

A is served with s21.

Is the deposit protected?

Or is it simply that the deposit for A&B was never refunded so there is no deposit for A?

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
    A&B take out an AST and pay a deposit, which is protected.
    A&B separate, and A signs a new AST for same property. Original deposit is not returned, but carries on for new tenancy.
    It can't 'carry on'. The deposit relates only to the tenancy it is registered against, i.e. A&B's tenancy, not A's brand new tenancy.

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
      It can't 'carry on'. The deposit relates only to the tenancy it is registered against, i.e. A&B's tenancy, not A's brand new tenancy.
      I accept that it can't happen like that - but that's what the landlord did - so I guess I'm asking about the implications now with regard to the s21. It was both the landlords and the tenants intention that the money originally paid for A&Bs deposit be re-used for As new tenancy deposit.

Comment

A is served with s21.

Is the deposit protected?
        If no deposit was taken for A's new tenancy, then deposit protection is not required (so will not make s.21 invalid).

It was both the landlords and the tenants intention that the money originally paid for A&Bs deposit be re-used for As new tenancy deposit.
        Not sure of the legal implications of this, or whether it's even possible, i.e. transferring a deposit from one tenancy to the next.

Is there written proof of the LL's and T's "intentions", e.g. in the AST, or a receipt?
        The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

I accept that it can't happen like that - but that's what the landlord did - so I guess I'm asking about the implications now with regard to the s21. It was both the landlords and the tenants intention that the money originally paid for A&Bs deposit be re-used for As new tenancy deposit.
          It may have been their intention, but down at the deposit scheme there will be a record saying £x protected for A&B's tenancy commencing [date]. There will be nothing saying £x protected for A's tenancy commencing [later date].

Even if A&B had together signed a new fixed term agreement, the deposit would have had to be re-protected for that new tenancy.

The s.21 served on A is valid because no deposit was paid.

Comment

What if L has indicated in writing that she will deduct rent arrears from the deposit? Does that indicate that a deposit exists for As tenancy, even though it is protected under A&Bs defunct tenancy?

Comment

I think a little more detail might be required.

For example, if the deposit paid on the A & B tenancy is now held by the landlord. And if (assuming this sum was jointly owned by A & B) both A & B have agreed for it to be used as the deposit on A's new tenancy. And on the basis that the landlord and A agreed that a deposit was payable on the new tenancy. Then on these facts I think it could well be held that a deposit has been paid and should have been protected.

Incidentally, just as side issue, how was the old tenancy (the one held by A & B) ended?

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                Incidentally, just as side issue, how was the old tenancy (the one held by A & B) ended?
                AST became periodic and later LL decided (unilaterally) that B was going and A could remain (+ kids)with new AST. Tenancy agreement for A shows 'deposit already held'

Have already asked the questions re legality of B being removed (probably not)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Ending contracts
                  by ash72
                  You should be able to leave the contract, if there isn't anyone living there and you don't want them to find another T, then they don't make any money. But read any contract you signed.

You should read the comments in this forum about renting to friends and family - just don't do it.
                  21-05-2022, 14:57 PM
                • Ending contracts
                  by Pineapple288
                  2 questions. I rent my BTL property through a letting agent. The current tenant has handed notice in. Am I right in saying I can now leave this letting agent?

Second question, the.reason I'm leaving the agent is because a very good friend of mine would like to rent he property. If she wants...
                  21-05-2022, 11:59 AM
                • Reply to Noise from rented property
                  by DPT57
                  Interesting, but it sounds like the university is definitely exceeding its authority and a clued up student could easily challenge any sanction they tried to impose.
                  21-05-2022, 14:47 PM
                • Noise from rented property
                  by zcacogp
                  Hi,

I have a question to which I suspect I know the answer, but I'll ask it anyway.

We live in a house whose garden backs onto other gardens. One of those houses is let to a group of students.

The students are given to making noise in their garden, particularly...
                  18-05-2022, 11:36 AM
                • Reply to Ending contracts
                  by DoricPixie
                  As Artful says, you'll need to read your contract with the letting agency to see how and when the contract can be terminated.

It seems more likely that your friend signed a new 12 month fixed term contract in January than the the tenancy agreement having an abnormally...
                  21-05-2022, 14:02 PM
                • Reply to None UK Wife Joining Tenant on a Period Agreement
                  by Mldn
                  To conclude with an update:
                  Landlords in this position strongly advised to speak to Home Office Landlord Visa section in the first instance. You many experience a 'to-ing and fro-ing' between that section and the Landlords 'Right to Rent' section. See what they both say. They should both be advising...
                  21-05-2022, 13:58 PM
                • None UK Wife Joining Tenant on a Period Agreement
                  by Mldn
                  My tenant has been on a periodic agreement since September 2016. He has been a good tenant. His partner who was with him when he first rented left the property and was not replaced.
                  He is now on a periodic agreement. I have not raised the rent since September 2016.

He has explained...
                  06-05-2022, 12:34 PM
                • Reply to Whatever happened to the tidal wave of evictions?
                  by SouthernDave
                  mr Khan is a moron...
                  21-05-2022, 13:53 PM
                • Whatever happened to the tidal wave of evictions?
                  by jpkeates
                  The latest government figures for possession claims have been published, which cover January through March 2022.
                  That's post Covid restrictions and would probably include most of the last of the Covid backlog.

And there's no sign of the massive wave of evictions and resulting mass...
                  19-05-2022, 10:46 AM
                • Reply to Section 21 During Contract Period
                  by DPT57
                  I think there's some date confusion above. If your 6 month fixed term tenancy began on 9 December, then it ends on 8 June. If you leave by midnight on that day then there will be no penalty or advance notice required. If you stay beyond this time a statutory periodic tenancy will arise. S5(5) of the...
                  21-05-2022, 13:34 PM
                Working...
                X