Want Rid of Lodgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want Rid of Lodgers

I have a couple of lodgers and want rid of them ASAP.

I have given them four weeks notice (which is it whats written in lodgers agreement)

However, can I legally give them one week?(Or even throw them out tomorrow..legally)

Thanks

Tass

It depends on the reason. If they have caused damage to the property or yourself, then I guess immediate eviction would be in order. In most cases though, your agreement would stand, so 4 weeks is appropriate.

Comment

Hi

As with any other type of letting, the first thing to do is to work out what kind of tenancy (or licence) you are dealing with. Try looking at the "Letting Rooms in Your Own Home" leaflet available on the directgov website to start with. Once you have read it through you will then be able to ask some more specific questions if you are still unclear.

Good luck.

Comment

From Preston's link (thank you)

Rights of landlord and tenant

There are two main issues where the rights of landlord and tenant differ for resident landlord lets compared with other types of tenancy - rent and security of tenure.

Broadly, someone who lets from a resident landlord:

* does not have a right to challenge the level of rent that he or she has agreed to pay
        * can be given less notice to leave if the landlord wants to end the letting

Noisy, messy idiots are gone

Great

Comment

Originally posted by Tassotti View Post
          Broadly, someone who lets from a resident landlord:

* does not have a right to challenge the level of rent that he or she has agreed to pay
          * can be given less notice to leave if the landlord wants to end the letting
          That is less notice than a tenant of a non-resident landlord ( who whould have to go through the s8/s21 process. Your lodgers agreement gave the lodgers additional rights by specifying four weeks notice.

Comment

But did the Lodger Agreement confer on L the power to give less Notice (or none) in case of breach by T?
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Can I Stay in the Property to Make Repairs?
              by jpkeates
              The guidance says that preparing a property for rent or sale is work that is allowed to be done in this phase of the lockdown.
              And staying in another property for work is allowed.

So travelling somewhere to work and staying there overnight is fine.
              03-06-2020, 17:04 PM
            • Can I Stay in the Property to Make Repairs?
              by DJVera
              Hi all - I'm new to this so apologies if this (or similar) has been dealt with somewhere else!
              I own a property in the south west but currently live in London. I've been renting the property out privately. My last tenant moved out in January 2020 and I was planning to get quite a bit of (much needed)
              01-06-2020, 13:38 PM
            • Reply to Can I Stay in the Property to Make Repairs?
              by DPT57
              Yes, I agree about the acting reasonably and interestingly the legislation seems to allow for this too through the use of the word "include"

For the purposes of paragraph (1), the circumstances in which a person (“P”) has a reasonable excuse include cases where....
              03-06-2020, 17:00 PM
            • Reply to My tenant lied to me
              by Uklondoner
              The rent has to be two months or more in arrears? My case the tenant owe me less than two months can still do the form?...
              03-06-2020, 16:50 PM
            • My tenant lied to me
              by Uklondoner
              My tenant lied to me saying he missed the first universal credit payment. But actually according to one of my friend the payment normally only take two weeks to come directly to the bank account. What can I do? Can I find a way to let the universal credit directly make overdue rent payment? I really...
              03-06-2020, 09:54 AM
              by theartfullodger
              As a stupid landlord I take grave exception to your slur, Sir!

Next week, amazing, unexpected, revelations that from time2time landlords lie to tenants.............. and agents from time2time lie to landlords AND tenants... and MPs & a particular special adviser seem to lie to most...
              03-06-2020, 16:22 PM
            • Reply to Access to sheds
              by DPT57
              Possibly, although I was basing my comment on this phrase in the original post:...
              03-06-2020, 16:21 PM
            • Access to sheds
              by endymion
              Hi. We have been renting a flat for the past decade under an Assured Shorthold Tenancy. The flat is one of five in a single block. The back garden contains a large outbuilding comprising ten sheds. Implicitly, then, two sheds per flat. The inventory does contain the wording 'Garages, Sheds, Outbuildings:'...
              03-06-2020, 10:09 AM
              by Uklondoner
              Thanks so much !...
              03-06-2020, 16:21 PM
            • Reply to Access to sheds
              by AndrewDod
              Then you need to go the route I said. Unless there is a lease which specifically defines the demise of Flat X that includes the shed(s) there is no reason at all to explicitly exclude anything....
              03-06-2020, 16:17 PM
            Working...
            X