Accidentally flooded my rented flat and caused damage to flats below

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accidentally flooded my rented flat and caused damage to flats below

Apologies for the long winded post but I just need to make sure I've given all the details.

Earlier this week I woke up in the morning to find there was no water coming out of the cold water tap in my flat. I later found out this was because my water company had cut off the supply due to a leak in the area. As it was an emergency I was not notified.

Moronically I forgot to turn the tap back off before leaving for work. I returned at lunchtime to find my bathroom, hall and bedroom flooded. Unfortunately I rent a 3rd floor flat, so the water leaked through to the flat directly below me, and the flat directly below them.

All flats are tenanted.

Now we currently have dehumidifiers in to dry the place out but I'm concerned about the lasting damage. The loss adjusters are coming in tomorrow to inspect all three flats.

Here's what I expect the damage will be:

My flat: Hallway carpets will need cleaning

2nd floor flat: Carpets cleaning, floor in bathroom may need replacing, bed needs replacing, possible paintjob on ceiling, electrics tested

Ground floor flat: I haven't seen the damage first hand, but I assume it will be similar to above, however I've been told they have all laminate flooring. They did not have any possessions damaged as far as I'm aware

I've been as cooperative as I can be to all involved. I called my landlord and letting agency straight away and have been arranging the drying and loss inspectors to come to all three flats. Thankfully the tenants below have been very understanding.

The bad news is, I rang my insurance and I have contents insurance but it doesn't cover accidental damage.

I'm a bit in the dark as to what I could be liable for with regards to the carpet in my flat, the contents in the flat below. There is also a £250 excess to pay for the letting agent's insurance claim.

Could anyone please shed any light?

You are a sub-tenant. Your L is probably either a long-leaseholder or the block's freeholder; either way, L has the benefit of a block insurance policy which may well include cover for accidental damage. So ask L (via Letting Agent) for a copy of it, to begin with, and read the small print especially.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Happened to me

I unfortunately did not have insurance (lesson learnt).

I was on the 5th Floor and there was damage to the flat underneath, I didn't think I was liable so did not pay.

They then took me to court and I was liable as the tap was left on.

Not pretty or enjoyable but I guess the fault was mine ... as they say, you only learn the hard way. I also felt quite embarrassed as it was pretty clear cut & they were decent people.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
        You are a sub-tenant. Your L is probably either a long-leaseholder or the block's freeholder; either way, L has the benefit of a block insurance policy which may well include cover for accidental damage. So ask L (via Letting Agent) for a copy of it, to begin with, and read the small print especially.
        LL may well have insurance as you mention, but wont the insurance company, if they pay out, look to tenant who caused the damage for recompense?

Comment

You've probably sorted it all out by now, but your contents insurance must cover water damage and that is not obviated by not having accidental damage. If you are only covered for damage done on purpose (which is the implication of what you wrote here) then you are daft but you can take action against whoever sold you the insurance for mis-selling.

In fact, I think you misinterpreted "accidental damage."

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• what is current requirements for smoke alarm?
            daxu
            Hi,
            I have a one bed flat that is let out at the moment. I asked an electrician to change the fusebox to a consumer unit and asked him for a cost of changing my battery smoke alarm to a main conntected one.

What he told me is that I need two alarms, one smoke alarm and one heat alarm...
            21-07-2017, 10:02 AM
          • Reply to what is current requirements for smoke alarm?
            MrShed
            What a load of rubbish this sparky is spinning to you!!

A single battery operated smoke alarm on a single floor is absolutely fine.
            21-07-2017, 10:23 AM
          • Claiming for protected deposit
            mandm
            This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
            Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
            I served the...
            21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
          • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
            MrShed
            To be fair, allowing DPS to send the email is even worse, as this doesnt help you prove that they received it.

In fairness it doesnt sound like you did in fact give them the prescribed information...
            21-07-2017, 10:18 AM
            mandm
            Thanks Guys for your immediate response, i will write and will attach the confirmation email from the DPS to the solicitor.
            @AndrewDod I did not send them email, DPS did, i also asked them to post the confirmation to tenants but they said due to DPA, tenants needs to request that!
            Is there...
            21-07-2017, 10:03 AM
          • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
            MrShed
            I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
            20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
          • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
            MrShed
            Depends on the storage provider. The other problem is though that in a disaster recovery position, they usually fail this to somewhere else, out of EU - which puts you in breach
            21-07-2017, 09:50 AM
            jjlandlord
            Cloud storage providers let you choose where to store data for this very reason.

It is OK to send data to the US under the so-called "Privacy Shield" as far as I know.
            21-07-2017, 09:46 AM
            mariner
            If you are confident you did provide required PI in full, then let T take you to Court; if not, settle. A Judge can only award T the Deposit (if not returned) + 1-3x deposit for the Penalty.

You cannot require T to sign anything, only ask.
            21-07-2017, 09:43 AM
            jpkeates
            If you store data in the cloud, you almost certainly breach the DPA - the data is (almost certainly) outside the EU and held somewhere without equivalent measures in place (the EU has said that safe haven isn't sufficient).

In fact, you haven't got a clue where it's stored.
            21-07-2017, 09:10 AM
          Working...
          X