Two year carpet cleaning rule

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two year carpet cleaning rule

Hi, 1)this is out of general interest. I heard today that if carpets are professionally cleaned at the start of a tenancy the tenant doese not need to have them professionally cleaned at the end if the tenancy is less the two year's. True of false?
    2) Who makes these rules and is it possible to get a copy?

Originally posted by Blue View Post
    Hi, 1)this is out of general interest. I heard today that if carpets are professionally cleaned at the start of a tenancy the tenant doese not need to have them professionally cleaned at the end if the tenancy is less the two year's. True of false?
    2) Who makes these rules and is it possible to get a copy?
    1) False
    2) There is no one set of rules, but the general principle is that you should return a rented property to the LL in the same condition and state of cleanliness that it was in when you moved in, minus fair wear and tear. That means that if the carpets had been cleaned just priory to your moving in, then you should have the carpets cleaned to the same standard on vacating. Otherwise the LL can claim the cost from your deposit.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

O.K what about if they were new. Then professionaly cleaned at end. even short let 6 months?

Comment

O.K what about if they were new. Then professionaly cleaned at end. even short let 6 months?
        Yes, if they were new it is reasonable to return them in a very clean condition. This would normally involve professional cleaning (or hiring a carpet cleaner yourself and doing the job to a professional standard), but it will depend on use. If the carpet is in an area of high use you will almost certainly have to have them cleaned. If the letting is only for 6 months and the carpet is in a low-use area you may get away with less.

Is the state of the carpet noted on the check-in inventory?
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Interesting that there are no set of rules. I wonder if TDS and DPS play the same game

Comment

Interesting that there are no set of rules. I wonder if TDS and DPS play the same game
            I am not entirely sure what 'game' you mean, but in principle all three deposit protection schemes assume the a T will return the property (as I said) in the same state of cleanliness and repair he received it in.

Comment

Not aware of any hard & fast rules on cleaning. Circumstances make a huge difference. A four person tenancy with two smoker & two kids (hopefully no overlap) and a pet will almost certainly be less clean than a sinle non smoker.

Comment

I have never heard of 2 year rule.

http://landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=25470
                All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Never come accross any 2 year rule, sounds like rubbish to me.

Time is not the important factor when judging the cleanliness of a carpet, the state of the carpet is.
                  If carpet is "dirty" over and above fair wear and tear then i would think that L is not unreasonable to request/deduct the cost of carpet cleaning.

I have a proffessional machine and clean all carpets between Tenancies as a matterof course - at no charge to the T. If a carpet was particulaly dirty then i would look at charging T , but I havent really had anything other than w/t dirt for a long time.
                  A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                  W.Churchill

Comment

Hii everyone,

I'm looking to have my home carpets professionally cleaned(steam cleaned).

Can anyone recommend a company that provides great service?

Are there any companies I should avoid?

Please post your experiences good, or bad.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Dispute with landlord over deposit
                      MarieMB
                      I have recently moved out of a property and requested my deposit back (£2000) from my landlord which has been protected in My Deposits scheme. I paid rent every month on time and gave him the correct amount of notice prior to moving out. I left the flat clean and received an email response from him...
                      13-05-2018, 20:47 PM
                    • Reply to Dispute with landlord over deposit
                      MarieMB
                      Hi all,

Thank you for all of your responses. They are very helpful.

Mariner, to answer your questions, it was a joint tenancy, I am listed as the lead tenant and it is my name on the deposit scheme. He took out the insurance option, which means he has spent the money. What...
                      27-05-2018, 13:10 PM
                    • Gdpr
                      serendipity129
                      Reading so much conflicting information.....I have 1 property, 1 tenant and I hols and electronic contract and have their email address, should I register and send a privacy notice?
                      24-05-2018, 09:43 AM
                    • Reply to Gdpr
                      JK0
                      Thing is, if that were the case, now the law is in place, it is too late to email anyone to ask for consent for future emails. ...
                      27-05-2018, 10:58 AM
                    • Reply to Gdpr
                      Stef Cooke
                      Rarely! And the number of large corporations who got it all wrong, some of whom are now trying to say they are sorry, can they take it all back?

I am holding off with the "I told you so's" for the more stridently convinced colleagues who were so rudely certain they had to ask...
                      27-05-2018, 10:14 AM
                    • moving furniture in before official occupation date.
                      ShinyTim
                      Thats it really, would you let tenants move their furniture in, before the official date on the t/a
                      they have paid the deposit and the 1st months rent, signed the agreement, and have been offered a free van to use on a date a week before I am to give them the keys

have been a landlord...
                      23-05-2018, 09:33 AM
                    • Reply to moving furniture in before official occupation date.
                      wfd_property
                      I would allow the day before, but with them wanting a week prior, adjust the date as others have already said.
                      27-05-2018, 09:21 AM
                    • Tenancy break up
                      Captain Birdseye
                      Hi hope someone can help with this situation.

Tenants have been with me for over a year and signed joint tenancy. Now on a periodic tenancy the lead tenant has given me 1 months notice to vacate the property due to relationship break down. The other person wishes to stay in the property...
                      26-05-2018, 10:49 AM
                    • Reply to Tenancy break up
                      Captain Birdseye
                      ideally no i do not want tenants on benefits but the tenant does actually work but may also look to claim to help out. To be fair they have not been bad tenants but have just had relationship break down. in a way i agree about a clean sweep but if i force them out they may dig their heels in and sit...
                      27-05-2018, 08:06 AM
                    • Reply to Tenancy break up
                      Interlaken
                      Negotiate. Do you want tenants on HB? Is the partner left at the property able to pay the rent? If it were me I would go for a clean sweep and start again with 2 working tenants - the best conbination on getting rent paid.
                      27-05-2018, 07:51 AM
                    Working...
                    X