Tenants not paying rent!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenants not paying rent!!

Can someone help me please need advice!!
    My tenant moved in 30th October 09 on a 12 month contract through my letting agents (she was on housing benefits which I have never had before but letting agents set up a guarantor for her.)
    She paid on time the first month (Nov).
    Second month (Dec) tenant said her card got cloned so was 4 weeks late paying rent - finally guarantor paid it for her.
    Third month (Januarys) - still not had
    Forth month (Feb) is due tomorrow and am not expecting any payment as letting agents have tried to contact her and the guarantor about last month’s rent and have received no reply to phone calls or letters.
    Just wondered if there is anything I can do as it has only been first month she has paid on time and am getting a little fed up of asking letting agents about it. Is there any action I can take and how long behind in rent does she have to be before I can do this?? Thank you for any advice.

First ask the agent what their policy is regarding rent arrears, e.g. time scales and the letters they send when, and to whom (T or G).

Ask to see a sample letter. They should be getting stiff with the G.
    Did they check that they owned their own home before they were approved?

Perhaps they can be working a bit harder for you.

If G will not pay, they need to threaten court action.
    All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Thank you for the advice.
      Will contact letting agents today.
      Yes G has own house and is a managing director of a company so paying the rent should not be a problem for him.

Comment

I agree with Bel about the agent could be doing more.

For future information, once 2 months are unpaid (in this case if Feb isn't paid) then a section 8 notice can be served, which is a warning that you are going to start eviction procedings in 14 days time if they don't pay up!

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
          I agree with Bel about the agent could be doing more.

For future information, once 2 months are unpaid (in this case if Feb isn't paid) then a section 8 notice can be served, which is a warning that you are going to start eviction procedings in 14 days time if they don't pay up!
          What if they want to be let off the tenancy and that is why they don't pay rent?

If the G is good, just threaten him with court action. You know that you will get the money.
          All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Do I have to wait until the end of Feb to serve a section 8?
            Just wanted to check if it has to be 2 full months or if it counts now as she was due to pay it yesterday and did not?
            Letting agents dont seem in a hurry to do anything said they have sent a letter will wait to see if their is a reply to this and if not next step will be a house visit to the property.
            Just getting fed u with it
            Thanks for you help

Comment

L can serve a s.8 Notice (ground 8) as soon as the amount unpaid equals two months' rent, i.e. once the second month's has fallen due and not been paid on/before the very day that it fell due. Always add-on ground 10 (and ground 11, if applicable, too).
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Why dont you go and see another letting agent. Even if your present tenants are rubbish at some time in the future you are going to want another tenant, surely it would be better to have another tenant (or a list of tenants) waiting to move in so when the present tenants (sorry a tenant is a person who pays rent) move/are evicted you have someone ready to move in, thus minimizing your loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Always Problems View Post
                  Why dont you go and see another letting agent. Even if your present tenants are rubbish at some time in the future you are going to want another tenant, surely it would be better to have another tenant (or a list of tenants) waiting to move in so when the present tenants (sorry a tenant is a person who pays rent) move/are evicted you have someone ready to move in, thus minimizing your loss.
                  May not be quite so simple as current tenant may not move out when you want them to!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Electrical Safety Certificate EICR
                    by DPT57
                    The presence of a plastic consumer unit cover would normally be a c3 hazard, but I understand it could be higher if there are other related risks, such as where there is older wiring or poor bonding. In the end I beleive we will either have to become electrical experts ourselves or find trustworthy...
                    03-06-2020, 17:14 PM
                  • Electrical Safety Certificate EICR
                    by Ozzie11
                    Hi

I noticed a new law means landlords need to arrange an EICR for new tenancies after July 2020 or before April 2021.

Please can I get some advice on this? I started a tenancy in May 2020 - this is due to expire in November 2020. However it is likely the tenancy will be renewed...
                    01-06-2020, 10:42 AM
                  • Reply to Can I Stay in the Property to Make Repairs?
                    by jpkeates
                    The guidance says that preparing a property for rent or sale is work that is allowed to be done in this phase of the lockdown.
                    And staying in another property for work is allowed.

So travelling somewhere to work and staying there overnight is fine.
                    03-06-2020, 17:04 PM
                  • Can I Stay in the Property to Make Repairs?
                    by DJVera
                    Hi all - I'm new to this so apologies if this (or similar) has been dealt with somewhere else!
                    I own a property in the south west but currently live in London. I've been renting the property out privately. My last tenant moved out in January 2020 and I was planning to get quite a bit of (much needed)
                    01-06-2020, 13:38 PM
                  • Reply to Can I Stay in the Property to Make Repairs?
                    by DPT57
                    Yes, I agree about the acting reasonably and interestingly the legislation seems to allow for this too through the use of the word "include"

For the purposes of paragraph (1), the circumstances in which a person (“P”) has a reasonable excuse include cases where....
                    03-06-2020, 17:00 PM
                  • Reply to My tenant lied to me
                    by Uklondoner
                    The rent has to be two months or more in arrears? My case the tenant owe me less than two months can still do the form?...
                    03-06-2020, 16:50 PM
                  • My tenant lied to me
                    by Uklondoner
                    My tenant lied to me saying he missed the first universal credit payment. But actually according to one of my friend the payment normally only take two weeks to come directly to the bank account. What can I do? Can I find a way to let the universal credit directly make overdue rent payment? I really...
                    03-06-2020, 09:54 AM
                  • Reply to My tenant lied to me
                    by theartfullodger
                    As a stupid landlord I take grave exception to your slur, Sir!

Next week, amazing, unexpected, revelations that from time2time landlords lie to tenants.............. and agents from time2time lie to landlords AND tenants... and MPs & a particular special adviser seem to lie to most...
                    03-06-2020, 16:22 PM
                  • Reply to Access to sheds
                    by DPT57
                    Possibly, although I was basing my comment on this phrase in the original post:...
                    03-06-2020, 16:21 PM
                  • Access to sheds
                    by endymion
                    Hi. We have been renting a flat for the past decade under an Assured Shorthold Tenancy. The flat is one of five in a single block. The back garden contains a large outbuilding comprising ten sheds. Implicitly, then, two sheds per flat. The inventory does contain the wording 'Garages, Sheds, Outbuildings:'...
                    03-06-2020, 10:09 AM
                  Working...
                  X