Redecoration question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redecoration question

Has anybody ever come across a situation where the landlord wanted money from a tenant to put the property right before the tenant moved out?

Have a student house and the landlord has demanded that the tenants put right damage caused by blu-tac (I hate blu-tac!). They have said that they do not trust the tenant to get it fixed, and do not trust that the property will be returned to its original "high quality" (his words. My words would be "very average student rental property decorative standard"...) - he suspects it will be a bodge job and is insisting on it being done by "professional decorators" at the tenants expense, prior to the tenants moving out. Paid for, too, immediately.
    Liability statement. My liability to you is not to exceed the amount you are paying for my recommendations or advice.

I see a bright new future, where chickens can cross the road with no fear of having their motives questioned

Has he given you any clue how he expects to enforce this order? Essentially, he is trying to bypass deposit adjudication or small claims isn't he, neither of which, from the sound of it, would agree to brand new redecoration. If I were the students I'd be sorely tempted (though I wouldn't have the guts) to wait for the decorators to leave and then badly re-paint the entrance hall in da-glo green! - Or black, that would be harder to paint out.

Thought to self... Am I being especially vindictive tonight?

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
      Has he given you any clue how he expects to enforce this order? Essentially, he is trying to bypass deposit adjudication or small claims isn't he, neither of which, from the sound of it, would agree to brand new redecoration. If I were the students I'd be sorely tempted (though I wouldn't have the guts) to wait for the decorators to leave and then badly re-paint the entrance hall in da-glo green! - Or black, that would be harder to paint out.

Thought to self... Am I being especially vindictive tonight?
      No. I think he expects all the affected walls to be repainted, and does not trust the tenants to do a good job.

There are other trust issues - the landlord has built a shed in the back yard (built after they moved in) and contractors visit regularly, with no notice. They also use the power in the house (to power light and tools in the shed), which is paid for by the tenants (inclusive rent).
      Liability statement. My liability to you is not to exceed the amount you are paying for my recommendations or advice.

I see a bright new future, where chickens can cross the road with no fear of having their motives questioned

Comment

Blu tac marks can often be removed by cleaning gently (so as not to remove paint as well!) with a soft cloth or tissue wet with lighter fuel. Maybe students could try that if it works well then walls wouldnt need repainting.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
          No. I think he expects all the affected walls to be repainted, and does not trust the tenants to do a good job.

There are other trust issues - the landlord has built a shed in the back yard (built after they moved in) and contractors visit regularly, with no notice. They also use the power in the house (to power light and tools in the shed), which is paid for by the tenants (inclusive rent).
          Ah, it's the shed-in-the-garden LL... I thought you were going to stop dealing with him?

As for the question, I think it's fairly understandable he doesn't trust the tenants to do a good job, but what does it say in the TA about disrepair caused by T during the tenancy? Can LL serve notice asking T to repair, etc?

Comment

I'll have to check the tenancy for that Westminster... Off the top of my head, I do not think there is anything in there that covers it.

And yes - we are going to stop dealing with him, at the end of the current academic year once the current batch of tenants move out (he has told us not to look for new tenants).

To be perfectly honest he is impossible to deal with and does not have a clue about the student market (he did not know that the tenants were moving out last July, so did not get his ass in gear to get all the houses ready in time between Jan and July last year - as a result a group of five refused to take up occupation when they moved in) and we have constantly dealt with complaints about shoddy workmanship, damp etc.

Comment

he has no right to do this and would have to recover and damages via the tenancy deposit scheme, as has been said he is just trrying to circumwnet the scheme.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X