Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting deposit returned when abroad

Hi all

I left my rented flat on 31/12/09 and travelled to Thailand on 2/01/10 and stupidly did not bring my protected deposit paperwork with me.

I now need to try and sort out the return of the deposit whilst here. I am not due back until mid March and really do not want to leave it that late.

No complications that I am aware of. Cleaned the place thoroughly, took loads of photos, paid all utilities and there was no in or out inspection or inventory.

I would be extremely grateful for any advice.

Thanks
    Mike

1. Does anyone in UK have Power of Attorney from you?
    2. Do you have an E&W address for service, despite your absence?
    3. Do you have internet access where you are?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
      1. No
      2. Don't understand what E&W is
      3. Yes

Thanks
      Mike

Comment

E&W = England & Wales

Comment

You haven't mentioned how your deposit is protected. I use the Deposit Protection Service, and they manage the entire process via email/internet, so it doesn't matter one iota where in the world you happen to be.

Comment

Originally posted by BaldPlumber View Post
            1. No
            2. Don't understand what E&W is
            3. Yes

Thanks
            Mike
            Originally posted by westminster View Post
            E&W = England & Wales
            You must provide T with an E&W address for serving stuff on you, no matter where you are. See s.48 of LTA 1987.
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

You must provide T with an E&W address for serving stuff on you, no matter where you are. See s.48 of LTA 1987.
              But this issue apparently relates to a tenant reclaiming his deposit, and no expecting any issues?

Comment

Yes, sorrry I have an address in the UK. I do not know who is protecting the deposit, but could get someone to go through my files at home.

What is the procedure then please?

Thanks
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by BaldPlumber View Post
                  Yes, sorrry I have an address in the UK. I do not know who is protecting the deposit, but could get someone to go through my files at home.

What is the procedure then please?
                  Once you've found out where the deposit is, the website of the organisation concerned will provide full details. The procedure will depend on the organisation.

eg for DPS: http://www.depositprotection.com/Pub...ion=Repayments

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
                    But this issue apparently relates to a tenant reclaiming his deposit, and no expecting any issues?
                    Always expect the unexpected; forewarned is forearmed.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X