What does tenant now owe to landlord (complex)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does tenant now owe to landlord (complex)?

Tenancy commenced 15 Oct 08 for term of 12 months. Tenant phoned Landlord September 09 to say they planned to buy a new flat which was not yet built but anticipated moving to new flat sometime in December. I asked tenant to give me proper notice to terminate at appropriate time and to keep me informed. Tenant phoned me on 5 December 2009 saying they have just exchanged contracts and will be moving out on 18th December and have cancelled standing order for monthly rent due 15 December which they say I should deduct from the deposit! . They had not given me a notice to terminate. Tenant moved out on 19 December. Prospective new tenants were found by my agent and completed new tenancy on 13 Jan 2009. Previous tenants have been chasing/hassling me for return of their deposit despite non payment of rent on 15 December. I reckon that tenant owes me rent up to 14 Jan 2010 less 2 days due to new tenant start date of 13 Jan. However I had overlooked to put the Tenants Deposit in a TDS and the tenant has sent a formal notice for return of full one months deposit and highlighted 3 times penalty provisions. Tenant has also sent a Notice letter dated 11 November 2009 by recorded delivery which was posted on 22 Jan 2010 ! (83 days to deliver) giving one months notice and saying that they will leave on 18 December and requesting return of deposit. I had not seen this letter until 23 Jan 2010. I reckon the tenant owes me about 27 days rent plus cleaning costs etc. Am I being unreasonable?

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X