T paid deposit in instalments: when should L protect it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T paid deposit in instalments: when should L protect it?

I have a tenant who I agreed with that she could pay the deposit over a few months.

Am I right to not protect the deposit until the full deposit has been paid?

I just fear that if I do protect the deposit the tenant not paying me in full and then leaving and trying to claim the full deposit back?

Thoughts please.

You are obliged to protect whatever deposit you receive. Do it asap.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by oilcan View Post
      I have a tenant who I agreed with that she could pay the deposit over a few months.

Am I right to not protect the deposit until the full deposit has been paid?

I just fear that if I do protect the deposit the tenant not paying me in full and then leaving and trying to claim the full deposit back?

Thoughts please.
      You are obliged to protect any money received as deposit and provide T with the prescribed information (keep proof of postage), so do this immediately.

If you later receive more money as deposit, then repeat procedure.

Always a bad idea not to get the deposit paid in full, in advance; there are frequently stories on here of tenants who promise to pay in installments then don't - because after they move in there's nothing to force them to pay the remainder.

The T cannot claim back more money than he has paid as deposit, so don't worry.

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
        The T cannot claim back more money than he has paid as deposit, so don't worry.
        Yes, he can: three times as much as deposit.
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
          Yes, he can: three times as much as deposit.
          Yes, but that relates to claims for non-compliance with deposit protection, not what oilcan said he was worried about, which is T falsely claiming he had paid the 'full' deposit and trying to get back more than he'd paid.

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
            Yes, but that relates to claims for non-compliance with deposit protection, not what oilcan said he was worried about, which is T falsely claiming he had paid the 'full' deposit and trying to get back more than he'd paid.
            OK- I agree with that. Nevertheless, non-protection of part is still non-protection (so it has the full s.214 problem hanging over it).

Comment

If a deposit is agreed at £600 and 3 x £200 are paid but LL only protects (say) 2 installments of £400 total, what does the 3x relate to - the deposit value or the amount not protected?

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
                If a deposit is agreed at £600 and 3 x £200 are paid but LL only protects (say) 2 installments of £400 total, what does the 3x relate to - the deposit value or the amount not protected?
                The unprotected amount, I'd imagine. I seem to recall a claim where the LL had returned some but not all of the deposit and the award was for return of the balance + 3x the balance.

Comment

@ oilcan,
                  I was in the sameboat as you, protect however much of the deposit you have received asap! I registered each installment seperately with the TDS with the actual date it was received.

Comment

Am I alone in thinking that "tenancy deposit by instalments" is a bit of a contradiction in terms?

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
                      Am I alone in thinking that "tenancy deposit by instalments" is a bit of a contradiction in terms?
                      If you were - your not now. I wont be doing that again ever!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                        by Lawcruncher
                        Just to clarify, what I meant was that the requirement comes from the tenancy terms if they include it....
                        29-01-2022, 08:38 AM
                      • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                        by Piffy
                        I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
                        27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
                      • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
                        by Flashback1966
                        or just work hard and hopefully take an early retirement.

You can't predict the future. Things always go in cycle. They want to get rid of Section 21, so you may be unable to get your property back. You may end up working and subsidising your rentals....
                        29-01-2022, 03:42 AM
                      • Reply to Renting rooms
                        by DoricPixie
                        It wasn't so much tat as a ground for eviction for PRT is wanting to move into the property (for now). It was more that I'd put my heart and soul into making the property nice and it wasn't being cared for as well as I would have liked. I didn't like being at the mercy of a letting agent either particularly...
                        28-01-2022, 18:03 PM
                      • Renting rooms
                        by Luke
                        I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
                        I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
                        I do not intend to live at the property
                        Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
                        As its...
                        28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
                      • Reply to Renting rooms
                        by DoricPixie
                        I've had unoccupied insurance whilst I was overseas before. It was challenging finding an insurer as a non-UK resident but I did find one and the premium wasn't horrific. I did have to have someone go and check on the property every week as a condition of the insurance and luckily I had someone to...
                        28-01-2022, 17:59 PM
                      • Reply to Renting rooms
                        by theartfullodger
                        Just be careful with insurance. Empty properties are a "challenge"
                        28-01-2022, 17:57 PM
                      • Reply to Renting rooms
                        by Hudson01
                        If i were in this position then i would do the same, there is far too much risk thesedays if you wish to move back into it, either accept the risk and rent is as it really is with an AST or leave it empty....
                        28-01-2022, 16:38 PM
                      • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                        by jpkeates
                        That document is out of date and, in a lot of places, possibly as a consequence, now wrong or misleading.

The concept of individually negotiated clauses is now deprecated in consumer law.
                        The OFT no longer exists and it's successor, the CMA, has withdrawn its advice about unfair terms...
                        28-01-2022, 16:18 PM
                      Working...
                      X