Notice Required When AST Expires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice Required When AST Expires

How much notice has to be given under the following circumstances?

When a six month AST has a clause in it that both L & T have to give the other two month's notice at the end of the tenancy, does this mean that when the T stays on after the AST expires, the tenancy reverts to a periodic tenancy and the two month notice requirement still stands, or does the T then only have to give one month's notice despite what was agreed in the AST?

Thanks for any replies.

T is not obliged to give any notice at all at the end of the fixed term; once a tenancy becomes periodic, one month's notice is statutory. LL on the other hand must give two in either case.

The only exception is if there is a break clause operable before the end of the fixed term which specifies a certain length of notice for T and L.

Any clause in the TA which tries to increase T's obligation at end of fixed term/in periodic tenancy is unenforceable, as he/she has statutory rights which supersede anything which is less favourable (to T).
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Thanks for replying. With regards to your last paragraph, it is my understanding that the one month's notice required from a T is the minimum statutory notice period, not the maximum. I'll obviously have to get legal advice about this but thanks for your input anyway. I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by spiritkary View Post
        Thanks for replying. With regards to your last paragraph, it is my understanding that the one month's notice required from a T is the minimum statutory notice period, not the maximum. I'll obviously have to get legal advice about this but thanks for your input anyway. I appreciate it.
        Not a minimum or a maximum - that is the due notice in law.

T must give one months notice, to end on the last day of a tenancy period. That day is the same day of the month as the original tenancy expired.

So, original tenancy expired 28/12/09.

Give notice 27/1/10 to leave on 28/2/10
        Give notice 29/1/10 to leave on 28/3/10 (can not go 28/2 as that is less than 1 month)

Comment

Yes, but the Notice period from T on an SPT equals the rent frequency; so that reply is true only if rent was due monthly during the fixed-term AST.
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Single parent renting
            by Dct
            The UC is too help pay for childcare, so she can work ( and does work full time), therefore pay rent/bills etc etc. It just feels like some landlords make sweeping judgements as soon as they hear single parent in receipt of UC
            19-05-2022, 08:16 AM
          • Single parent renting
            by Dct
            A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
            18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
          • Reply to Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
            by DoricPixie
            You don't need to get the details from the Land Registry. The tenant can request, in writing, the letting agency to supply the landlord's contact details citing the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985. I'm not sure how wise that would be if it could potentially hack off the landlord although I do wonder...
            19-05-2022, 08:09 AM
          • Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
            by Renterthedragon
            I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

Approaching the end...
            18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
          • Reply to Single parent renting
            by jpkeates
            Dct If the reason that your friend can't get a tenancy is because she's a woman or because she has children, it is probably discriminatory.
            Which is probably a reason no one is going to explain why she's being turned down.

Being on benefits isn't going to help either - because people...
            19-05-2022, 08:02 AM
            by jpkeates
            I can't tell you how hacked off I would be if one of my tenants did that.

The agreement has a price variation clause in it, the landlord and tenant have both agreed to it,...
            19-05-2022, 07:58 AM
            by theartfullodger
            Spend £3 with gov.uk land registry and get deeds which will get owner name and address then communicate directly
            Agree with above advice

Agent probably wants new agreement signed so they charge landlord fees....
            19-05-2022, 07:21 AM
            by jpucng62
            The S21 threat is just that - no LL wants to go through that process to evict a good tenant and it maybe the agent who is behind this. However, market rents have shot up over the last year. I think you should try to negotiate.

Your LL seems decent, having given you a rent reduction last...
            19-05-2022, 06:54 AM
          • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
            by jpkeates
            You can counter claim for compensation to offset the rent owed in a Section 8 claim.
            But a claim for compensation for PTSD triggered by a dispute about an electricity bill and subsequent harassment is going to be tough to argue in what’s likely to be a 15 minute property court hearing.
            19-05-2022, 06:35 AM
          • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
            by Forgetmeknot
            I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
            so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
            18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
          Working...
          X