Telephone disconnected-landlords perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Telephone disconnected-landlords perspective

I may have unwittingly incurred some costs here and am wondering what other landlords see as 'the norm'.

Our tenants have just left the property -January ,and back in October had the telephone line disconnected .
    AS we were aware of their intentions-without giving specific approval-i guess indirectly we authorised this-although is it like electricity where tenant can chose to have a pre-paid meter if they wish ?

We have a new tenant going in who understandlably requires a telephone line in the apartment which of course it has got-just is not live.
    Whilst as i see it ,it is for the incoming tenant to organise with the likes of BT -i have made some provisional enquiries and BT have said there will be a £128 re-connection charge and a new number issued.

It does not seem appropriate for me to pay this-and equally it seems harsh/unfair on the incoming tenant.

I'm not sure what 'the norm 'is here-what do others think and do ?
    Has anyone had similar experiences ?

A LL is not required to provide a telephone line at any time.

You also have cable phone line as an option and Virgin don't charge outlandish fees for "flicking a switch".

Most tenants would not expect a phone line to be present for them before they moved in (unless its provision and who is liable for what charges/costs, etc., is explicitly agreed upon in advance and detailed in the tenancy agreement) and they won't often be happy to pay exploitative dreamed up fees, which is what has made BT such a rogue in today's marketplace.

You could also have a phone line in your name, setup for incoming calls only and never change this.
    If an incoming tenant wishes to have outgoing calls facility, they have to make their own arrangements with their own line.
    However, with today's telecom market and the way people live, home phone lines are becoming less and less necessary and I would say 95% of those people who are able to have a mobile phone, have one nowadays.

Comment

But there again- don't most tenants want a broadband land line to have internet access ?

Comment

Originally posted by michaelmichael View Post
        But there again- don't most tenants want a broadband land line to have internet access ?
        Yes, I would agree, unless the property is in an area served by cable tv? (Cable access)
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

With mobile internet prices coming down rapidly, the phone / tv & broadband can move with the tenant.

Comment

My tenancy agreement simply has a clause stating that should the tenant require any telephone/broadband/cable TV s(he) is responsible for paying any reconnection fees which may be payable to the service provider at the start of your tenancy should you require any of these services. Ii draw attention to this before they sign the agreement so there are no surprises.

As has been pointed out it's very variable as to whether tenants even want landlines these days; I've found my properties can go for months or years with nobody wanting a landline, then somebody moves in who does.

For what it's worth though, I think I read somewhere last week that BT are currently running one of their free reconnection promotions? Could be wrong though...

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
              With mobile internet prices coming down rapidly, the phone / tv & broadband can move with the tenant.
              Oh really?
              http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/01...internet_data/

Don't be cheap. Chances are quite high that the tenant will want to use the line (for internet, if not phone), and after seeing it when viewing the property, will:
              (a) Assume the line works
              (b) Ask the LA, who will probably assure them the line works
              (c) Be told that it doesn't work, and maybe take another property

Either way, you're setting up a fight before the tenancy's even started. Just make sure your tenant leaves the line active, and take it out of their deposit if they don't.

Comment

Originally posted by asquithea View Post
                Oh really?
                http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/01...internet_data/

Don't be cheap. Chances are quite high that the tenant will want to use the line (for internet, if not phone), and after seeing it when viewing the property, will:
                (a) Assume the line works
                (b) Ask the LA, who will probably assure them the line works
                (c) Be told that it doesn't work, and maybe take another property

Either way, you're setting up a fight before the tenancy's even started. Just make sure your tenant leaves the line active, and take it out of their deposit if they don't.
                The last bit is a bit hard to defend - the new tenants may pay for the reconnection. A bit harsh for the landlord to take a charge for a *possible* event.
                Liability statement. My liability to you is not to exceed the amount you are paying for my recommendations or advice.

I see a bright new future, where chickens can cross the road with no fear of having their motives questioned

Comment

Thanks for responeses.

Do i summise however that in summary-like so many thnings-there is no clear cut answer/responsibility ?

Comment

Thanks for responeses.

Do i summise however that in summary-like so many thnings-there is no clear cut answer/responsibility ?
                    What is clear cut is that your tenancy contract should make it clear who is responsible for what, and you should draw any reconnection charge to the attention of prospective Ts when viewing. However after that, what you do will be up to you. You will presumably make your business decision based on local factors such as market forces and demand.
                    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Yes.

The world of technology moves way faster than the old crusty and prune faced politicians who set the laws in housing.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyLandlord View Post
                        Yes.

The world of technology moves way faster than the old crusty and prune faced politicians who set the laws in housing.
                        Hmmmmmmmm. More prunes, HL?

Comment

Depending how long your tenant is intending to stay, this might be helpful

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/dea...e-installation

free installation but you need to sign-up to 18 months contract.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                          X