Can I charge landlord for my time sourcing repair work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I charge landlord for my time sourcing repair work?

I moved into small house some months ago and have experienced multiple problems with it.

My landlord is very flaky. He takes weeks/months to sort out basic things which he insists on fixing himself though he is unskilled. I had a leaky roof for 4 months because he wouldn't pay a proper roofer £120 (I had some quotes done). Eventually I had to get my own builder/carpenter for some other compromises. My landlord agreed verbally to accept jobs done by my contacts if under £200. Because of the inconvenience in time/effort on my part I asked for rent reduction which he refused. I now have 3 more problems - including a building security issue. Yet again, this man is proving very difficult to pin down - after 10 days still not visited tho he is only down the road - and I am obliged to source my own builder. I am so angry about this deal and really want to charge for my time ie, deduct from unpaid rent. Am I justified?

Any feedback greatly appreciated....

To withold rent for repairs, you would need proof that the work has been completed satisfactorily. There's a procedure for this. See: Tenants doing repairs.
    The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

I suppose you could claim the cost of the phone calls to three tradespeople - is that what you mean by 'sourcing repairs'?
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X