Last request for payment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last request for payment

I have a tenant that has vacated owing rent. I have verbally requested on several occasions over tha last 8 weeks. The sum owed is £420. I have the ex tenants father as guarantor (homeowner) whom I have not approached up to now. I would like to write to him and also the ex tenant (his daughter)requesting payment for the final time before I take to court. I am very concious that I must be careful with the wording used in the letter I propose. Does anyone have any suggestions or even a template that I could use?

Originally posted by Woody View Post
    I have a tenant that has vacated owing rent. I have verbally requested on several occasions over tha last 8 weeks. The sum owed is £420. I have the ex tenants father as guarantor (homeowner) whom I have not approached up to now. I would like to write to him and also the ex tenant (his daughter)requesting payment for the final time before I take to court. I am very concious that I must be careful with the wording used in the letter I propose. Does anyone have any suggestions or even a template that I could use?
    "Dear Ms Smith,

Despite repeated requests, there remain unpaid rent arrears of £x owing in relation to your tenancy of x address for the period from x date to y date by z date.

Please pay this sum into my bank account (give details), or by cheque to me at (address) otherwise you will leave me with no alternative but to sue you for this amount in the county court

Yours sincerely, &C" ?

Send a copy to her guarantor advising that if the rent arrears remains unpaid you may be obliged to sue him for it.

I am not sure why you feel you must be any more cautious in wording this letter than any other creditor chasing a debt would be?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Also, add the option in the letter(s), for the tenant/guarantor to pay by Postal Order, if they do not have a bank account.
      The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

Thank you.

Many thanks for your help which is very much appreciated. I will send off later today.

Comment

Sorry, just realised that the phrase 'by z date' should go after the request for payment and not where it is at the moment! Not sure what happened there!

So:

Please pay this sum into my bank account (give details), or by cheque to me at (address) by z date etc.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

"Sod them" and send them a claim using money claim on line which should give them a kick up the backside, it will also show them your not messing about.

See below

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

Just my view

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by taheemr View Post
              "Sod them" and send them a claim using money claim on line which should give them a kick up the backside, it will also show them your not messing about.

See below

Just my view

Thanks
              Tempting as it may be to do what you suggest, it is not actually very helpful advice in the circumstances. Any claim is more likely to succeed in court if OP can demonstrate that she has given T and G every opportunity to pay the arrears and has a record of that in writing. Up to this point she says she has issued only oral requests.

Sending a Letter Before Action like the one I have suggested gives her thus a better chance of success than just firing off a claim and in any case, the T or G might just pay up on receipt of such a letter - which will possibly save OP the court costs and certainly the stress of a court claim.

Comment

See below

Just my view

Thanks
                Not good advice in my opinion - just gives T reason to dig heels in and drag it out.

This order:
                1.Face to face chat
                2.Phone T& G
                3.LBA T&G
                4.Debt collector (most people miss this one out - which IMO is THE most effective step & which after 15 years and several hundred tenants has negated the need to get to no.5 for me, ever!*)T&G
                5.Sue

*Search forum for: debt collector - posts by rodent1 - particular the post which starts "you are all bonkers"
                Why havent i found the link for you?
                Be prepared to put in at least a little effort
                A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                W.Churchill

Comment

See below

Just my view

Thanks
                  Though you could do this i think it would be struck out because you havent sent a letter before action which i believe comes under the new pre-action protocol in which you should need to put a lot more info into the letter.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X