landlady threatening court action even after final settlement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

landlady threatening court action even after final settlement

I am a tenant and I believe I can get some help here. I have always been a good tenant. I paid my rent on or before time, bills on time, kept houses in good condition and returned them in better condition. Replaced damaged, over used items even before being asked. Readily agreed for fair deductions. But last six months of tenancy have been the worst experience of my life as a tenant. I will not write the whole story here as its really big.

Anyway, I moved out of the house and subsequently after a bitter negotiation landlady agreed to return the deposit. She also said that it should be considered 'full and final'. Now she is again calling me and asking me money for other things and threatening me to take to court. Can she go to court even after a 'final settlement' as per her email.

She is also raising suspicion that I am visiting her property to check mails etc and if I have a duplicate key. She also said that she has informed police about this. This ofcourse is her scare tactic to extract some money from me. Now I don't want to hear from her about anything after the settlement as I am unable to move on. How can I protect myself from her false accusations?

If they are false accusations she won't be able to support them with any evidence in court. LL's like this make life bad for everyone. It's one reason courts & the law is biased as anti landlord. As regards the lock. She could easily change the lock if her concerns about you entering the place were genuine.

Comment

Do not correspond with her apart from having the pleasure of writing those immortal words "see you in court"....
      Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Assuming the allegations are false, then you have nothing to fear. The LL may well issue a claim against you, but it will fail unless LL has some evidence to support the allegations.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X