If L avoids mortgagee's repossession, can T still leave?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If L avoids mortgagee's repossession, can T still leave?

Hi,

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I have searched through the forums and couldn't find anything similar...

I'm a tenant in a property and have received an eviction notice due to the landlord not paying their mortgage. I've been in contact with the letting agency who have informed me that the LL is going to court to arrange an alternative payment scheme with the mortgage company (the lettings agency will pay the mortgage company direct), so the eviction notice may be cancelled.

My question is, if the eviction notice is cancelled do I still have a right to leave the property before the end of my lease, or do I have to honour the original term (I'm 3 months in to a 6 month lease)?

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by cgoose View Post
    My question is, if the eviction notice is cancelled do I still have a right to leave the property before the end of my lease, or do I have to honour the original term (I'm 3 months in to a 6 month lease)?
    As the tenancy will still continue, you will still be liable for rent until the end of the fixed term, unless you can agree with the LL to end the tenancy*.

* Assuming the tenancy is an AST in England or Wales.
    The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

Thanks for that. I'm hoping to be able make an agreement, but its good to know what my rights are (so I know how nice to be to the LL!).

Thanks again

Comment

Your landlord has a contract with you to provide accommodation for six months (minimum) and give you two months notice if he wishes to leave (provided you pay yor rent e.t.c.). If he fails to pay his mortgage and as a result the mortgage company evict you within six months of starting your tenancy, you are in a position to sue your landlord for breach of contract. By making the arrangements he has, your landlord is doing his best to abide by the contract he has agreed with you, thus it is unreasonable for you to expect to terminate your contract early. It may however be convenient for your landlord to agree to this, if you politely ask.

P.P.
        Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tenant's energy debt.
          Gordonmrln
          I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
          20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
        • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
          mariner
          AFAIK LCS are just collection Agents for B Gas, not Bailiffs. They have to get B Gas approval for further action.
          Did you/wife receive/request actual B Gas itemised Bill for disputed period?
          Talk to B Gas Debt team.
          You may have to provide evidence of identifiable start/end meter readings
          27-07-2017, 03:48 AM
        • One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
          IoIo
          Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)? England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only? Three people all listed as the Tenant under the agreement

Q3 – What date did current...
          26-07-2017, 16:38 PM
        • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
          mariner
          IOLO brownie points for providing required info upfront.
          As LL, I normally pay for move in report and T for move out report.
          Joint Ts are equally liable for 1 report.
          2 ways seem avail to you-
          1. Complete a move out condition report in first week of Aug and claim for any T damage...
          26-07-2017, 23:23 PM
        • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
          Gordonmrln
          Dear wright76, I don't have a mental condition, but a learning disability I suffer with Dyslexia and have been psychologically tested and diagnosed with the Dyslexia condition. It seems that everything I've said or tried to do so far here is all negative and I'm doing everything wrong apart from sending...
          26-07-2017, 23:01 PM
        • Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
          BouwensPB
          I have an extremely anti-social and criminal tenant. My neighbours think she is possibly a sex worker and drugs abusing and dealing. She has made a witnessed and CCTV sited assault on one neighbour and has verbally abused others. 3 crimes have been reported and the local authority talk about making...
          26-07-2017, 16:09 PM
        • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
          AndrewDod
          Quite. Explain how you managed to get this tenant in the first place - and via some shady outfit as well. Seems as if all eyes were off all balls....
          26-07-2017, 22:56 PM
        • S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
          BlueMystery
          I have a tenant who the local council have provided the deposit bond for. He has been nothing but a pain paying his rent and has always been 1 month late or 6 weeks maximum, paying at the end rather than the beginning. He was initially on a 6 months AST, which reverted to one month rollover in the absence...
          26-07-2017, 19:21 PM
        • Reply to S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
          KTC
          That ....
          26-07-2017, 21:41 PM
        • Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
          Paul4321
          Hi All,

I'm hoping for a little guidance. I'll almost certainly be following up with some professional advice but hopefully some folks here will have been in a similar situation and can offer some advice. I have done a quick search but not found anything obvious.

I already...
          20-07-2017, 10:07 AM
        Working...
        X