If L avoids mortgagee's repossession, can T still leave?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If L avoids mortgagee's repossession, can T still leave?

Hi,

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I have searched through the forums and couldn't find anything similar...

I'm a tenant in a property and have received an eviction notice due to the landlord not paying their mortgage. I've been in contact with the letting agency who have informed me that the LL is going to court to arrange an alternative payment scheme with the mortgage company (the lettings agency will pay the mortgage company direct), so the eviction notice may be cancelled.

My question is, if the eviction notice is cancelled do I still have a right to leave the property before the end of my lease, or do I have to honour the original term (I'm 3 months in to a 6 month lease)?

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by cgoose View Post
    My question is, if the eviction notice is cancelled do I still have a right to leave the property before the end of my lease, or do I have to honour the original term (I'm 3 months in to a 6 month lease)?
    As the tenancy will still continue, you will still be liable for rent until the end of the fixed term, unless you can agree with the LL to end the tenancy*.

* Assuming the tenancy is an AST in England or Wales.
    The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

Thanks for that. I'm hoping to be able make an agreement, but its good to know what my rights are (so I know how nice to be to the LL!).

Thanks again

Comment

Your landlord has a contract with you to provide accommodation for six months (minimum) and give you two months notice if he wishes to leave (provided you pay yor rent e.t.c.). If he fails to pay his mortgage and as a result the mortgage company evict you within six months of starting your tenancy, you are in a position to sue your landlord for breach of contract. By making the arrangements he has, your landlord is doing his best to abide by the contract he has agreed with you, thus it is unreasonable for you to expect to terminate your contract early. It may however be convenient for your landlord to agree to this, if you politely ask.

P.P.
        Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Algae and Moss on Steps
          SGB100
          Our tenant occupies on an AST 6 month term, the flat is accessible only from rear concrete steps (they only serve their flat these steps do not provide access for other areas) and on inspection we found the steps to be covered in moss and algae whose responsibility is it to clean this?
          16-01-2018, 15:20 PM
        • Reply to Algae and Moss on Steps
          DPT57
          This should really be covered by a clause in your tenancy agreement. If it isn't then draft an addendum now for use next time....
          16-01-2018, 19:16 PM
        • Termination of Tenancy
          janeygee
          Hi,
          looking for some practical advice here, first post.I shall try to hit the main points and be brief.
          I have been renting my house to a couple whilst I have been out of the UK with a private rental contract, visiting the house once a year. They have been renting for 10 years , on a one...
          15-01-2018, 15:34 PM
        • Reply to Termination of Tenancy
          DPT57
          As JPK says, let them leave before pressing some of the these issues. If you haven't served a proper s21 notice then they could make your life very difficult and make you wait before giving up possession....
          16-01-2018, 19:14 PM
        • Periodic S21
          royesjaffia
          Good Day All,
          I am a new landlord and as such decided to not undertake the task of all the nuances of letting so I hired a letting agency.

Things went smoothly until I wanted the tenant to leave. The date the tenant was to leave was the 13th of January. To date, he still has not left...
          15-01-2018, 15:14 PM
        • Reply to Periodic S21
          DPT57
          Serve notice yourself and then assuming you instructed the Agent to serve notice on the tenant and they failed to do so, cancel the contract with them and report their incompetence to whichever redress scheme they are part of....
          16-01-2018, 18:57 PM
        • Take agent or inventory company to court?
          Spencerjdb
          Summary:
          Who is responsible for keys if they break 3hrs into tenancy by bending (poor metal) and later proven the 2nd copy of key I had was stiff (and lock has a "knack" and a "fraction") and was later given agency copy of keys which were better than my "stiff keys".
          16-01-2018, 17:05 PM
        • Reply to Take agent or inventory company to court?
          Wannadonnadoodah
          So with the 2 hour clean you'll be taking court action over a dirty side of a bed and a key? Last time I had a key cut it was less than a fiver and it sounds like a 3 minute cleaning job to do down the side of the bed. It really does feel like a massive over reaction. Taking this into consideration...
          16-01-2018, 18:40 PM
        • Notice period when subletting
          peacelily
          A bit of background to explain the situation- I am currently subletting a room from a tenant of a flat who is renting from a landlord.

I have now given my notice to move out.

Our original agreement (only by email, nothing signed or in writing) stated that the tenant would...
          16-01-2018, 18:10 PM
        • Reply to Take agent or inventory company to court?
          Spencerjdb
          I want to take court action if I have to pay for a cleaner, because those responsible for the property will not.
          I want to take court action as the agency I'm sure will take it from my deposit if I do not pay for a 2nd key to be cut.

I'm not a slave, nor a cleaner, nor do I have any...
          16-01-2018, 17:49 PM
        Working...
        X