Advance rent/deposit county court dispute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advance rent/deposit county court dispute

An ex-tenant prematurely terminated her AST (advance rent type) and left the property with some damage, utility and cleaning bills which she has refused to pay for. She also still owed me money for some furniture that she had bought on moving in and had been very reluctant to settle this debt during her tenancy. Because of the history of her unpaid debt to me, I withheld some of her advance rent to cover the damage and cleaning (£375) but she has now filed a claim via County Court for her rent and a couple of other (fictional) costs, to the tune of £540.
    Whilst I know that I am on shaky ground with regards to the Advance Rent AST, can anyone give me an idea of how my defence and counter claim for my costs might fare in the small claims court, given the circumstances?

Worth noting that if T went down the 3x deposit route, it wouldn't be small claims so you could end up paying a lot in her court fees.

IF you can prove the amounts she owes, you'd be safest refunding her advance rent and then reclaiming the owed amounts through the small claims track yourself.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X