Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacating 5 months before tenancy ends

Hi all

I have managed to find a mortage company willing to lend me enough to buy a flat for myself and my family. We have found a property that is perfect for our needs. We will be putting in an offer and I have arranged an overdraft to cover the remaining 5 months of my tenancy (at £600.00 per month).

I know that legally I will have to pay to the end of my tenancy and have prepared for this but.....I really hope to help my landlord find new tenants (and as a by product save some money).

May I ask you all as landlords what I should do to convince my landlord into trying to relet rather than leave a lovely home empty for months.

I was going to offer to pay for the property to be readvertisied but what else should I do. Also would it make a difference that I have have spent hours of my time and a bit of my money making the once jungle like garden beautiful.

Thank you all again in advance,

Jim

Leaving Early

The first thing to do is speak nicely to your landlord and see if he/she would be willing to release you from the contract - you never know your luck - some will do this.
    If this fails see if you can negotiate a surrender fee - this could be much less than the outstanding rent, and you can walk away with no further trouble.
    If this fails, offer to re-let yourself, finding a tenant which is acceptable to the landlord and paying all re-letting expenses.
    Finally, you can either just leave or pay-up. If you leave the landlord is obliged to cut his (and your) losses by re-letting ASAP. Trouble is the landlord could drag his feet and not try too hard, but would then have to chase you for the money, through the court if necessary. If he fails to re-let quickly a judge may well be on your side.

Comment

I have posted a detailed answer to the same query on this thread:

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ead.php?t=2444
      Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

Once again thank you so much for your help,

Really is appreciated,

Jim

Comment

Hi all

Following on from your advice I have paid half the landlords reletting costs and have agreed to pay rent until a new tenant has been found.

I am a little bit concerned that the landlords agents are giving me incorrect information. Can you please letme know if the advice they have given me is correct on these two things.

1) Vacating before the tenancy ends

The landlords agent has advised me that they are doing me a favour by only charging me rent until a new tenant is founds as as if they wished they could charge me for the full length of the tenancy even if they find another tenant and the rents overlap!!!

Can they really do this.

2) Buying Freehold

They are also the agents for the freeholder of the flat I am buying. I mentioned that I am really interested in buying the freehold if the other leasheolder is interested but I was advised that their is no way this can be done. I mentioned enfranchment and was advised there is no such thing!!!

Thank you in advance for your answers,

Jim

Comment

I understand that in (1) the agent is wrong - another example of agents being totally "familiar" with the law so long as it benefits them and their clients. Your old landlord is legally obliged to mitigate your losses by reletting the property as quickly as possible. Your rent ceases to become payable as soon as it is received from the new tenant.You are however expected to meet the landlord's reasonable re-letting expenses.
            With regard to query (2) I can only suggest you post it on the section of this board reserved for such queries or try www.lease-advice.org

P.P.
            Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X