Withhold rent- L has no Gas Cert./mortgagee consent?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Withhold rent- L has no Gas Cert./mortgagee consent?

hi im new to this forum, came across it as i was googling for advice for our ( my children and myself) current situation
    i moved into the property in march, under a 12 month shorthold assured tenancy

out rent is £700 and its paid via housing beneifit
    these are the problems that have led to the current situation:

i signed the agreement for a furnished house, yet i have had to furnish it myself ( mostly from ebay)

i have evidence that my landlord does not have the kind of mortgage that allows him to rent the property out.and also the house mortgage is way behind ( 3 months before i moved in is when that started)

there was also no gas safety certificate on the property...( has been carried out today- boiler has broken down 5 times in past 12 days so we have been cold and miserable during the snow!)

the first time i asked him about the certificate i told him ( verbally) that i would withold rent till such a time when this was issued,,( this rent is all sitting in the bank)
    today i have called him, to let him now that the saftey check all went well and hes banging on about back rent... hes also gone to the council and told them that im in " arrears"
    i have spoken to the council half an hour ago, told the lady the situation, and bascically what ive been told is " well if you are more than 8 wks behind with the rent, then we will in future have no alternative but to pay direct to the landlord- as you are putting yourself at risk of eviction ( spose thats better than carbon monoxide posioning)

ive told the landlord that i will go tommorow and clear up the back rent... feel like telling him to *go away*
    incidently the council have now put a stop on my rent until they are satisfied with the reason i provide for with holding rent...

feel like i dont have a hope in hells chance of "winnin" this, as the lady said, if i dont pay then theyll go over my head

many thanks for any advice you can offer

No, you do have to pay rent. After all, you have been living there.
    BUT you might argue for a reduction to take account of heating failure.
    Lack of mortgagee's consent will not be a ground for withholding rent, however.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

and it is correct that the council will pay to the LL if you are 8 weeks in areas!
      Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

thanks both its really not the issue who the rent is paid to, its more the case of being a tenant with seemingly no rights where safety is concerned...i mean had anything happened with any of the gas appliances ( my main issue) would it just have been bad luck? i had no idea that these existed until the day before i asked him for one, and have asked everyday since... ive also asked the "gasman" on every call out- one even threatend to turn off the gas completly and have him prosecuted for not holdning the certificate... so if its that important to a stranger then why didn my landlord think so

anyway thats by and by now, ill pay up in the morning and shut up

Comment

If he does start getting it paid to him clear the arrears to under 8 weeks and ask the LA to have it paid back to you, thats all it takes!

Give Enviromental Health a call about the lack of a gas certificate, tenants do have safety right, and EH take it quite seriously!

Comment

thanks emma
            the inspection was carried out today, and while the engineer recommended that the boiler be replaced ( its over 20 yrs old) its running quite safely, which is all i wanted to know...( cert to be posted out)
            cant see any reason to be in arrears now at all.. though i was fully intending to pay the money back to the council and have the landlord explain to them why he wasnt paid, but like i said, they have already told me that they will just go over my head and pay him anyway..so not a lot of point in arguing :/

Comment

Originally posted by sr2010 View Post
              hi im new to this forum, came across it as i was googling for advice for our ( my children and myself) current situation
              i moved into the property in march, under a 12 month shorthold assured tenancy

out rent is £700 and its paid via housing beneifit
              these are the problems that have led to the current situation:

i signed the agreement for a furnished house, yet i have had to furnish it myself ( mostly from ebay)
              Presumably it has the same furnishings as were in it when you viewed? There is no real definition of 'furnished'.
              i have evidence that my landlord does not have the kind of mortgage that allows him to rent the property out.and also the house mortgage is way behind ( 3 months before i moved in is when that started)
              This is an issue between the landlord and the mortgage company. You might want to consider moving at the end of your fixed term (see below) because the mortgage company may want to repossess the house and evict you
              there was also no gas safety certificate on the property...( has been carried out today- boiler has broken down 5 times in past 12 days so we have been cold and miserable during the snow!)the first time i asked him about the certificate i told him ( verbally) that i would withold rent till such a time when this was issued,,( this rent is all sitting in the bank)
              today i have called him, to let him now that the saftey check all went well and hes banging on about back rent
              Although LL has an obligation o provide heat, it's not a reason to withold rent. He must have acted pretty quickly to each of the recent failures for it to have been fixed 5 times in 12 days. The gas safety certificate is obviously a major concern, but thank heavens that's sorted now
              hes also gone to the council and told them that im in " arrears"
              You were
              i have spoken to the council half an hour ago, told the lady the situation, and bascically what ive been told is " well if you are more than 8 wks behind with the rent, then we will in future have no alternative but to pay direct to the landlord- as you are putting yourself at risk of eviction ( spose thats better than carbon monoxide posioning)
              yes, that's the regulations
              ive told the landlord that i will go tommorow and clear up the back rent... feel like telling him to *go away*
              incidently the council have now put a stop on my rent until they are satisfied with the reason i provide for with holding rent...

feel like i dont have a hope in hells chance of "winnin" this, as the lady said, if i dont pay then theyll go over my head

many thanks for any advice you can offer
              What do you want to achieve by "winnin"?

If you bring your rent up to date and notify the council they will possibly agree to he housing benefit being paid directly to you again. However, there is no real advantage to having to pay the rent yourself - is there?

Comment

actually there were no furnishings when i veiwed. he made a verball agreement to have that sorted within a matter of days so far as beds and a fridge went.. never happened

yes he did move fast... he saw an ad for british gas boiler insurance and got it... its even clear to the men that have come out that he was putting "right" issues that already existed with the boiler.. his policy is now under reveiw( the first call was the day after he took the policy)

what i meant by winning, was having someone on my side to stand up to him.. because im on hb does not ( so far as im aware) mean we have to live in a sub standard/potentally dangerous property

nope there is no benifit what so ever of having the rent paid to me.. infact its a hassle i could do without.. i was told at the time of my claim that as i wasn`t a drug user/alcoholic/totally useless with money.. that thats the way it would be

Comment

need some help with rent, but no tenancy agreement

hi,
                  ive lived in thsi house with my children since march of last year, took it on a short term assured tenancy of 6 months, in the past few months i have had a few problems with the landlord, not providing a gas safety cert etc, but all seems sorted now except :
                  the lease was for 6 months and it started off at £700 pm, he wrote on the agreement that after 3 months the rent would increase to £800, i must have agreed as i signed the lease, anyway nothing further was said about the increase till last month ( after i had withheld 3 months rent for him not proving the gas safety cert- all of which was paid on the day that the cert was issued)
                  but according to my rent book i have never been in arrears.. in every coloumn where arrrears would be recorded its states "nil" now it reads £800 due to the fact that its 8 months @£100 that i "owe" him.. where do i stand now ? given the fact that we havent signed a new lease for the period after that 6 months?
                  if i have missed anything, please feel free to ask me and ill reply as best i can
                  many thnaks in advance

Comment

Hi

An agreement which provides for a rent increase after three months is in principle enforceable. You could try arguing that the entries in the rent book prove that the landlord has agreed not to increase the rent, but I think this would be a difficult line of attack. Accounting errors of this type would not generally be held by the courts to override an otherwise clear and explicit term of the agreement.

Sorry to sound a little pessimistic. It might be worth providing a little more detail about the rent increase clause itself to see if anyone can spot any difficulties with it.

Comment

hello and thankyou for your reply
                      there isnt a clause as such that states thats the rent will increase, on the old agreement where it states that the rent will be £700 pm ,scribbled underneath that it simply says " rent will increase to £800 after 3 months" on my rent book it says "£800 arrears "in last months column,but nothing about an increase.. when i took my book to HB the lady on the desk basically said, "well it look sto me like hes plucked a debt out of the air - how can you owe nothing for all of those months then suddenly owe £800?"( even tho she has a copy of the lease to hand)

many thanks for your help so far

Comment

hello and thankyou for your reply
                        there isnt a clause as such that states thats the rent will increase, on the old agreement where it states that the rent will be £700 pm ,scribbled underneath that it simply says " rent will increase to £800 after 3 months" on my rent book it says "£800 arrears "in last months column,but nothing about an increase.. when i took my book to HB the lady on the desk basically said, "well it look sto me like hes plucked a debt out of the air - how can you owe nothing for all of those months then suddenly owe £800?"( even tho she has a copy of the lease to hand)

many thanks for your help so far
                        Well, if the clear intention of the agreement which you signed was that the rent would be £700 for the first three months then £800 thereafter, it would be enforceable unless the landlord has subsequently agreed to a reduction. I am afraid that, so far, you don't seem to have sufficient evidence of any variation.

Unfortunately for you many landlords include this type of clause in their agreements (although generally more professionally drafted of course), particularly larger ones who tend to increase all their rents on the same day each year.

My best advice is that you get some expert advice on the precise wording and construction of your agreement.

Good luck.

Comment

again, thankyou

ok so im just going to ask some questions now, im hoping that i dont sound like i want to shaft the LL but im really annoyed with him as he has taken months to do urgent jobs on the house,and then last night he turned up at the door asking for rent.. i have never been late with the rent ( 19th on the button) apart from the time when i witheld it to force him to do the gas saftey cert ( but like i said this was all paid the day it was done) which incidently he hasnt even paid british gas for,and i know as they keep calling me!
                          anyway less rambling more facts..
                          seeing as my tenancy has expired now ( 5 months ago infact) and the £800 was for the period of 3 months from the beginging of that..why do i now have to pay £800?
                          have just looked through my old agreement and the date that the rent is due is infact left blank.. so why on earth was he at the door last night?
                          i feel like falling one month in arrears and telling him that timing was never an issue when i was nagging him to do jobs!

sorry i am very annoyed ( incase you couldnt tell) i have to find the extra money out of my pocket, were all actually sitting here cold as he wont replace the dodgy boiler and i have already paid £50 into the gas meter this week ( its running very very uneconomicaly) and cant afford to put anymore in

just want to know where i stand with thsi man, its stressing me out massively, and in the past i would have ( and have) just paid up whatever was asked, my sister is a landlord herself and yesterday she told me " find out where you stand legally" so thats what im tryig to do
                          ramble over

Comment

landlord has been again ths morning.. not a lot i can do as my bank is closed on saturday anyway ( when i said i didnt have it he asked if my daughter could go to a birthday party for his daughter now im feeling torn, like hes mixing business with pleasure he lives next door to me and i want to keep this purely tenant and LL whilst of course being polite).. i came out of hospital on friday where i was for 2 days because my blood pressure was too high,would really appreciate some help on this matter as soon as possible
                            thankyou so much

Comment

seeing as my tenancy has expired now ( 5 months ago infact) and the £800 was for the period of 3 months from the beginging of that..why do i now have to pay £800?
                              Any statutory periodic tenancy which follows on from an initial contractual period would be on the same terms as applied at the end of the original contractual tenancy. So, if the rent was £800 pcm at the end of your fixed term, it would I am afraid be £800 during the statutory periodic tenancy. (Section 5(3) Housing Act 1988)

But don't forget what I said earlier about getting advice about the precise wording of your agreement, particularly the clause which increased the rent after 3 months. This clause really needs to be seen in the context of the whole agreement to be absolutely sure of its meaning, (although I still remain pessimistic from your point of view on the basis of what you have said so far).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• When do tenants' requests go too far?
                                Suzy76
                                Tenants moved in at the beginning of the year and have issued a stream of requests/demands since then, the main ones being

- After signing the contract but before moving in, requesting that I change the wallpaper in one room as they decided they didn't like the colour
                                - Asking to...
                                12-07-2017, 16:46 PM
                              • Reply to When do tenants' requests go too far?
                                Landlord1206
                                If you trust the tenant I would allow them to decorate upon approval. To agreed specifications and at THEIR EXPENSE. This improves the property and keeps them happy. I have had this happen, new paint colour in lounge. More difficult in your case with a new tenant so I would have said wait and see....then...
                                23-08-2017, 11:18 AM
                              • Private letting advice
                                xNicolex
                                My partner and I have recently moved into a private let with our 7 month old son.
                                now the flat was in a right state when we moved in - bathroom hadn't been cleaned, kitchen was a mess, oven absolutely caked in grease from the previous tenant (it still is, I refuse to clean it so I'm just not...
                                23-08-2017, 08:28 AM
                              • Reply to Private letting advice
                                xNicolex
                                Wannadonnadoodahl - a few of the issues were noticeable when we moved in, however the landlord reassured us they would be dealt with within a week or two, its now been 6 weeks

JK0 - we aren't on any benefits, we both work and have been full rent of £150 a week, which feels like robbery...
                                23-08-2017, 11:05 AM
                              • Reply to Private letting advice
                                Landlord1206
                                Not sure if you have a gas cooker or not. Either way, please check that you have a valid Gas Safe certificate. You do not mention the boiler but given the other issues, I hope this is safe for you.
                                You may wish to ask for a PAT on any electrical items.

Not sure why you moved in given...
                                23-08-2017, 11:02 AM
                              • TT not leaving
                                johnson13
                                A friend of mine (LL) rents his property through an agent and has asked them to get the tenant out as he's coming back to live in it. The agent served a S21 notice which is due to expire soon (we'll check, but for the purposes of this post assume that everything has been served correctly and the notice...
                                23-08-2017, 09:00 AM
                              • Reply to TT not leaving
                                Darth Wookie
                                The tenant may be 'morally' in the wrong, but is legally in the right. They have no outright legal obligation to leave at the end of the tenancy agreement, which can only be truly ended by the court. In essence, the court are the 'adjudicators' of the contract and decide whether to enforce it or not....
                                23-08-2017, 09:43 AM
                                jpkeates
                                The current tenancy continues until the landlord has recovered possession (or the tenant serves notice) so there's no danger of a new one coming into being accidentally .

The tenant is awarded costs if they lose, which is pretty standard in legal cases. If the landlord loses the case, the...
                                23-08-2017, 09:38 AM
                                johnson13
                                Ok, thanks. This seems to imply that the tenant is in the wrong by not leaving then.

The notice might as well say, "you don't have to leave when this notice expires, but you'll have a large legal bill if you don't."

Thanks again.

Is this...
                                23-08-2017, 09:19 AM
                                jpkeates
                                The landlord can carry on accepting rent, which is due until the tenancy ends.

The tenant has every right to stay, as the landlord's notice doesn't actually end the tenancy. To bring the tenancy to an end, the landlord will need to go to court. If the landlord is successful, the tenant...
                                23-08-2017, 09:12 AM
                              Working...
                              X