Cleaning of carpets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning of carpets

my tenant is moving out after being in house for around 3 years, the carpets look they they could do with a clean. trying to decide what to do with regards recouping costs from tenant for this. don't think there was anything in the AST re cleaning of carpets. I'm wondering for my next tenant whether to put a clause in the contract that all carpets need to be cleaned before vacation of property. If I have them cleaned at start of tenancy then they should leave them the same. otherwise this is a cost that I will continually have to cover. with regards AST templates you can get from various websites I don't think they have clauses re cleaning of carpets professionally. is this something that could be added into the contract by myself or would it make the contract not legally binding? what have other people done with regards cleaning of carpets? the carpets weren't in a perfect clean condition at start of tenancy but they are definitely dirtier.

any advice please?????

I think some would say your carpets are 3/5 through their working life, that’s assuming they were new which and you say they were not. Many expect carpets to last about five years, and it might be viewed as unreasonable for you to expect them to be in the state they were originally after 3 (or more) years of use.
    I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

Comment

Indeed. If your carpets are still there when your next tenant leaves, I should suggest you would be lucky to get ANY extra life out of them.

Comment

Cleanliness and wear and tear are different things.

Really good quality carpet will last over 20 years.

If an inventory has been taken in detail, you can insist that the cleanliness of the carpet is maintanined.

As a rule of thumb, the LL cannot expect the carpet to be any cleaner at check out when it was at the start.

To unilaterally insist that a professional company is used at the end of the tenancy to clean the carpet at the tenants cost when the carpet still appears to be as clean as it was at check-in , or the tenant says they cleaned themselves, could be seen as an unfair term.

However, its my opinion that most tenants would like to know that the carpet has been 'disinfected' from the previous occupants. In turn, they should expect to extend the same courtesy at the end of their tenancy.

In future, I would suggest that rather then including a carpet cleaning clause in the main AST, that you bring to the attention of propective tenants that you operate a professional carpet cleaning policy and you get their verbal agreement to it prior to taking any admin fee, re-state it in the tenancy offer letter and then include it in an appendix which they must sign, annexed to the tenancy agreement. This may exclude it from unfair terms regulations. Then remind them again once they have given notice.
        All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Bel - In future, I would suggest that rather then including a carpet cleaning clause in the main AST, that you bring to the attention of propective tenants that you operate a professional carpet cleaning policy and you get their verbal agreement to it prior to taking any admin fee, re-state it in the tenancy offer letter and then include it in an appendix which they must sign, annexed to the tenancy agreement. This may exclude it from unfair terms regulations. Then remind them again once they have given notice.

I completely agree that most tennats expect carpets to be professionally cleaned when they move in, and the oven, but unfortunately they forget this when they move out and argue that their £9.99 hired carpet cleaner (and hand scrubbed oven) has done the job.

So, I wondered if firstly the DPS would agree that this could come out of the deposit, or would they consider it overkill especially if the tenant said they had cleaned them and the photographic evidnce didnt show them as being too dirty.

If not maybe I could ask for the money to clean the carpets and oven upfront and keep this, not as a deposit agaisnt unforseen damages but against a definite cost. Obviously tenants wouldnt be able to pay a full deposit and this extra £150 so I could not ask for such a large deposit.

What do you think?

Thanks, Debbie

Comment

The real problem is the vagueness of the phrase 'professionally cleaned'.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

There's nothing vague. To be a member of a profession, doesn't one have to be a member of a professional body? So a Member of the Chartered Institute of Carpet Cleaners.

Comment

Is this a case of L taking T to the cleaners?
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by DebbieB View Post
                  Bel - In future, I would suggest that rather then including a carpet cleaning clause in the main AST, that you bring to the attention of propective tenants that you operate a professional carpet cleaning policy and you get their verbal agreement to it prior to taking any admin fee, re-state it in the tenancy offer letter and then include it in an appendix which they must sign, annexed to the tenancy agreement. This may exclude it from unfair terms regulations. Then remind them again once they have given notice.

I completely agree that most tennats expect carpets to be professionally cleaned when they move in, and the oven, but unfortunately they forget this when they move out and argue that their £9.99 hired carpet cleaner (and hand scrubbed oven) has done the job.

So, I wondered if firstly the DPS would agree that this could come out of the deposit, or would they consider it overkill especially if the tenant said they had cleaned them and the photographic evidnce didnt show them as being too dirty.

If not maybe I could ask for the money to clean the carpets and oven upfront and keep this, not as a deposit agaisnt unforseen damages but against a definite cost. Obviously tenants wouldnt be able to pay a full deposit and this extra £150 so I could not ask for such a large deposit.

What do you think?

Thanks, Debbie
                  I dont know what happens with regard to carpets and DPS.

The tenant can dispute anything they want to, no matter how reasonable you think it is.

I like the idea of an upfront charge. I do not see why it should be a problem legally. You should make it clear that the charge is for professional cleaning purposes and does not include damage that cannot be called fair wear and tear. The tenant is free to take it or leave it before they commit.

It may put off some tenants; probably the ones that you wouldnt want anyway.
                  All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X