T claim 3x deposit for not protecting his deposit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T claim 3x deposit for not protecting his deposit

1. Informed T to that his deposit was going to be kept with DPS.

2. Didn’t reply in writing but kept verbally insisting that he did not want his money in DPS.

3. Last day of tenancy was 23rd, which was the same day he applied for claim of his deposit plus 3 times for not protecting his deposit.

End story, we never did put his deposit in the DPS only because he insisted and now his thrown us a whammy! He also says that he has evidence of documents, copies and photographs??!!

Any thoughts please? HELP!

Thanks

At once, you should either:
    a. protect it and send T the prescribed information; or
    b. refund it to T.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

i had already sent a cheque to him previously. The cheque cleared the same day I recieved the Claims notice. Does that count?

Comment

Originally posted by pandoralcy View Post
        i had already sent a cheque to him previously. The cheque cleared the same day I recieved the Claims notice. Does that count?
        Yes. T now cannot ask Court to order deposit protection/return [s.214(3)] and so the 'also' penalty [s.214(4)] cannot be ordered either.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Also, He has already moved out. I hope so...In his claim, I quote

"Under the housing act 2004, sections 2/2-2/4, a londlord must secure a tenancy deposit from a tenant in a secure deposit scheme. AST agreement signed by claimant 04/03/09. Despite discussions between landlord and tenant it is evident, my original tenancy deposit is not within any scheme nad has been held by the landlord unlawluffy also no written notification between landlord and tenant with 14 days of commencement of AST. Previous conduct with tenant regardging repayment of deposit concerning, unprofessional & deceitful"

Is that the same as what you mentioned as s.214(3) and s.214(4)

Comment

hi Jeffrey

I'm worried that he's going to deny that we never returned deposit cos I don't have proof of posting. The only thing I have is my chequebook stub and the date the cheque was cleared on my bank statement!!

Comment

Ask your bank for a copy of the cheque they should be able to supply one and that with your bank statement will at least prove he recieved the deposit back.

Comment

hi Jeffrey

I'm worried that he's going to deny that we never returned deposit cos I don't have proof of posting. The only thing I have is my chequebook stub and the date the cheque was cleared on my bank statement!!
                Your bank can provide you with a copy of the cheque and confirm which account it was paid into (for a fee)

Comment

End story, we never did put his deposit in the DPS only because he insisted and now his thrown us a whammy! He also says that he has evidence of documents, copies and photographs??!!
                  Your T probably had this strategy in mind all along, hence the insistence on not putting deposit in DPS.

Hopefully, lesson learnt. Would you not carry out the annual gas safety checks because the T insisted s/he didn't want it? Its the law. It is not for the T do dictate to you as LL. And you were aware of the law regarding deposits and therefore left yourself open to the "abuse" by not following the law!

Get the proofs as you've been advised, and good luck!

Comment

In his claim, I quote

"Under the housing act 2004, sections 2/2-2/4, .....

Is that the same as what you mentioned as s.214(3) and s.214(4)
                    His references are incorrect. The part of the HA2004 relating to deposit protection is s.212 through to s.215.

See http://www.opsi.gov.uk/ACTS/acts2004..._en_19#pt6-ch4

Comment

hi Jeffrey

As others have advised, it's easy to get proof of this from the bank.

As this tenant sounds devious, I would keep a watch out that he doesn't attempt to transfer the money back to your account.

It's unlikely, but just in case he do does this, then firstly get proof of the payment from the bank, and secondly send another cheque, this time with proof of postage (get a free certificate of posting from the PO, as this doesn't require signature on receipt therefore cannot be refused) and submit evidence of both to the court. If it is late on in proceedings you may need to ask the court's permission to submit additional evidence.

Comment

Thank you all for the advice and help. I do have other tenants whose money is in the DPS. I just didn't realise that it was a MUST. Will keep you posted with the claim case for those out there who may suffer my same fate!!!

Comment

Hi all

I thought my luck was up when the T didn't bother to submit "particulars of claim" but after receiving an order from the Judge, he has finally submitted his claims. I am now awaiting the documents from the Judge with the particulars of the T's claim. Will post them as soon as I receive them.

Hope someone out there can give me some tips on how to file my defense!!
                          damn!

Comment

Don't worry too much. I am sure that everyone who has read your post (myself included) is outraged and wants to support you.

Keep us posted.

Comment

Need to know outcomes of T vs LL for claim of deposit or 3x

Hi everyone.

I would like to know the outcome of anyone who have had this problem:
                              T made small claims of deposit plus 3x for non-compliant of TDS

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Part furnished
                                by Chester Perry
                                Our property was let part furnished however upon leaving the Ex. tenant took it upon himself to relieve us of the white goods and wooden blinds.

The dishwasher, washing machine, 2 x fridge freezers and wooden blinds throughout were actually ones purchased when the property was our main...
                                18-09-2020, 13:34 PM
                              • Reply to Guarantor agreements
                                by AndrewDod
                                I suppose the real questions is not "what tricks do I need to try to get around these potential massive risks"
                                but rather
                                a) "how much extra premium should I charge on rents to offset these massive risks" - 10%, 50% ?
                                and
                                b) What criteria does a potential...
                                18-09-2020, 13:33 PM
                              • Guarantor agreements
                                by CHARLIEMAN
                                Hi all,

I am asking a prospective tenant to provide a guarantor and was wondering how the deed should be dated with regards to the term of the tenancy. The tenancy will be a 6 month assured shorthold agreement but I would want the guarantor to continue to act for the duration of the periodic...
                                16-09-2020, 14:22 PM
                              • Reply to Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
                                by flyingfreehold
                                they tend to favour the tenant
                                18-09-2020, 13:26 PM
                              • Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
                                by Maymiss
                                I am moving out of my rented home shortly, i have caused some damage which I notified the landlord of when it happened and they have recently visited to discuss the cost of repairs, which we have agreed. The landlord is now asking that I pay this money to them directly. It is not possible for the work...
                                03-08-2020, 11:47 AM
                              • Reply to Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
                                by Maymiss
                                I am sad to say that after paying a lump sum to my landlord, they are now claiming the full amount of my deposit also. My deposit is held with DPS and I understand they are generally fair in their dealings, but after reading reviews online it appears they do not always review disputes thoroughly and...
                                18-09-2020, 13:21 PM
                              • Reply to Section 21 issued with new tenancy
                                by ChrisDennison
                                Of course not because a s21 notice is a private notice so nobody will know how many are issued in the country each day, and this would only change if all s21 notices would need to be centrally lodged (I can’t see that happen and can’t see a good reason for it either).

18-09-2020, 13:07 PM
                              • Section 21 issued with new tenancy
                                by fmST1
                                When a new tenant moves into a property, I get them to sign a section 21 so that if whatever reason things don’t work out, the necessary paperwork is already in place.
                                I’ve never had a need to exercise this yet, but would it work?...
                                11-09-2020, 08:43 AM
                              • Reply to Housing First - what are your thoughts?
                                by jpkeates
                                The characteristics of the people you wish to home would be obvious red flags to most PRS landlords.
                                I don't think you would be able to persuade me to risk the value of my property when the option to remove a problem tenant is, essentially, unavailable.

I have only thought about this...
                                18-09-2020, 13:02 PM
                              • Housing First - what are your thoughts?
                                by LandlordLiaisonOfficer
                                Hello,

I work for a homeless charity and I am hoping you don't mind me bending your ear and gaining some landlord insight on a model we are imminently implementing for some of our service users.

Traditional housing models within the homeless sector require the service user...
                                18-09-2020, 12:32 PM
                              Working...
                              X