• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TenantsLuvMe
    replied
    Originally posted by Telometer View Post
    Jeffrey. Why do you consider that an electric shower is not covered by

It is an installation, and it heats water.

I think, perhaps, its is because:

1. A shower's primary purpose isn't to heat water.
    2. Perhaps electric showers were rare/luxury/unknown of when the relevant law was defined.

Leave a comment:

• Telometer
    replied
    Jeffrey. Why do you consider that an electric shower is not covered by

(c) to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling-house for space heating and heating water
    It is an installation, and it heats water.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    London joke
    Q: What's the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
    A: You can't wash your hair in a buffalo.

Leave a comment:

• Sad S
    replied
    Originally posted by mckenziek View Post

The landlady is saying that she's not willing to pay for anything because " there is a working shower". My arguments are:

1) Is it really a working shower if the only way to wash your hair is to rest your head against the shower unit because the flow is so bad?

Thanks
    Yes, the shower is working, but the rate of flow isn't great.

Do you know how to wash your hair in either
    - the wash basin
    - the bath tub?

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Jones
    replied
    I think the most worrying thing here is the dodgy electrics.

Was the original shower fairly new - if so, I doubt a properly qualified electrician would have fitted it knowing that the fuse could not take the load. And all new electrical "installations" require to be certified by a fully qualified electrician and this obviously did not happen. And was the correct wiring used to connect this high power shower to the consumer board?

I wish to install an electric shower, but because of the distance between shower and consumer unit, the cost is likely to be excessive because of the cable required.

As to OP's query, in practical terms I don't think you can do anything to force LL to put back the old shower but I cannot actually see why she would not if you have been able to sort the fuse problem.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Many will do much to procure voters' favours (what a shower!) Their wives, too, but only in Northern Ireland?

Leave a comment:

• TenantsLuvMe
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
    Why not ask your MP to try a Private Member's Bill to amend s.11?
    Are you sure though that they will be able to tear themselves away from their daily task of finding ways to screw the taxpayer, fiddling and inventing their "expenses" and going to meetings/speeches for the sole purpose of sleeping, or doing something like the MEP's - signing in and then going home.

Leave a comment:

• westminster
    replied
    Wow thanks for all the comments people!

I spoke to the landlady again and she again refused to pay to have the ciruit board replaced. It so happens that in the mean time I did some more searching and found a few places that do stock the old style of fuse at 40A so i might be possible for me to get an electrician to fit that fuse and check that everything is ok.

I've asked if i were to do that if she would put back in the original shower, which i think is more than reasonable given I would pay to change the fuse over and technically that's the shower I paid for when I moved in! Do people think this is a reasonable action to expect her to do? Does anyone have any suggestions if she still refuses to do this?
    You should not be paying for anything connected with the electrical wiring in the property.

I would, firstly, contact the environmental health officer at the council, re the ancient and possibly unsafe fuseboard, as well as the lack of shower.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    A shower is no different from a bath in its purpose, I agree, but purpose is not what the section concerns! Yes, a test case might hold what you hope to be the case; but I hope that it's not at your expense! Why not ask your MP to try a Private Member's Bill to amend s.11?

Leave a comment:

• TenantsLuvMe
    replied
    Maybe, but for me, its yet another grey area in this overly complicated property business that if tested, would find in favor of the shower being included as a fitting that the LL should maintain.

After all, its no different to a bath - just that water is through a different point and the shower serves the same purpose as a bath.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
    Sanitation: as basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences are expressly mentioned, I read it that showers aren't.
    Expressio unius excludere alterem, as we say in the biz.
    Originally posted by westminster View Post
    Hmmm, but what if there isn't a bath (not unusual these days)?
    Originally posted by TenantsLuvMe View Post
    I am wondering if the insertion of the word "including" in the above sentence means that there are other things not mentioned in this category which are also part of the category, such as showers?

It could be that when this law was defined, showers were not that common?
    The fact is that Parliament specified four types of thing. Omission of others points towards their being outside the scope of s.11.

Leave a comment:

• TenantsLuvMe
    replied
    I've asked if i were to do that if she would put back in the original shower, which i think is more than reasonable given I would pay to change the fuse over and technically that's the shower I paid for when I moved in! Do people think this is a reasonable action to expect her to do? Does anyone have any suggestions if she still refuses to do this?
    My advice would be to leave as soon as is possible.
    This landlady does not sound like someone who is going to do right by you.
    Today its this problem, tomorrow it will be something else, but you'll get the same response from her, if she can get away with it.

She sounds petty and mean and your safety maybe in jeopardy because of the state of the electrics (and who knows what else).

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    As for interpreting the HA regulations, I would have to agree that the shower is a "sanitary convenience". It doesn't matter if there's a bath as well because the regulations don't say one or the other but clearly "baths and sanitary conveniences"
    No; 'sanitary conveniences' means toilets.

Leave a comment:

• mckenziek
    replied
    Update

Wow thanks for all the comments people!

I spoke to the landlady again and she again refused to pay to have the ciruit board replaced. It so happens that in the mean time I did some more searching and found a few places that do stock the old style of fuse at 40A so i might be possible for me to get an electrician to fit that fuse and check that everything is ok.

To answer one of the other questions, the shower she replaced it with is a 6.85kW shower from what I could determine from the heating element resistance readings that the electrician took. There was no label or indication on the heating can as to what power it is.

As for interpreting the HA regulations, I would have to agree that the shower is a "sanitary convenience". It doesn't matter if there's a bath as well because the regulations don't say one or the other but clearly "baths and sanitary conveniences"

Leave a comment:

• subjecttocontract
    replied
    This problem should have been quick, simple and cheap to fix.

Why couldn't the landlord just have an electrician add a single rcd consumer unit next to the existing old consumer unit from which to run the shower.

That way you get 40A rcd protection and keep the 8.5Kw shower.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Resident landlord or AST?
    by tenoutoftenant
    Thanks again jpkeates, again that makes sense. I presented this to the tenant and they came back with a question, which I don't have a good answer to. I wondered if I could post it here. If the tenant informs the landlord that they probably have an AST, and ask for the deposit to be protected, and the...
    17-05-2022, 08:30 AM
  • Resident landlord or AST?
    by tenoutoftenant
    Hello, I wondered if anyone experienced could please advise on this scenario:

A landlord lets out a self-containted attic room in a converted garage – which is separate and detached from their house – to a tenant. It has its own front door, so the tenant can only access the part of...
    04-05-2022, 16:16 PM
  • Reply to Car park underletting
    by jpkeates
    Is that what it actually says, because that's badly written for a legal agreement?

"the lessee of occupier of the other parking space" makes no sense at all.
    17-05-2022, 08:23 AM
  • Car park underletting
    by Neil2011
    Dear all,

A non resident leaseholder (renting his property out) is under the impression that he can let anyone (including non residents and those not associated with any residents or the property ) use his car parking space paid or unpaid. The management company of which I am chairman disagree....
    17-05-2022, 08:16 AM
  • Reply to evicting a DSS lodger, do I need a court order to do so?
    by jpkeates
    If she's a lodger, you don't need a court order.

If she has exclusive access to somewhere, like a room that you are not allowed to enter, she isn't actually a lodger.

If she is a lodger, and your notice has expired, you can lock her out (change the locks) or use reasonable...
    17-05-2022, 08:19 AM
  • evicting a DSS lodger, do I need a court order to do so?
    by Amazin
    she's been living with me for the past 2 years (we share the living space etc) but she keeps bring strangers back and stay here overnight on a regular basis. Having her living here is like having a couple. Before she moved in, she signed agreement that she need to ask my permission for having guests...
    17-05-2022, 08:08 AM
  • Reply to Sleeping joint landlord?
    by casual_reader
    Thanks, Mrs Mug, I did think as much but was just thrown by responses to another thread. Yes, it's just Person A's name on the contract. And it's obviously a matter for the relationship between the two owners that one has delegated anything relating to this property to the other....
    17-05-2022, 08:11 AM
  • Sleeping joint landlord?
    by casual_reader
    Person A and Person B, two siblings, are unmortgaged owners of a freehold property as tenants-in-common.

Person A has permission from Person B to let the property. The tenants sign an agreement with Person A, to whom they pay rent. Person A also addresses all maintenance issues. The contract...
    16-05-2022, 06:34 AM
  • Reply to Statutory declaration DPS
    by jpkeates
    The form needs to be signed by a solicitor (or notary) who’s checked your identity. But that’s it, from memory.
    17-05-2022, 07:27 AM
  • Statutory declaration DPS
    by Lash
    Does anyone have experience with DPS stat declaration? When returning the statutory declaration from to DPS is it just literally the form I am returning? Or, do I also send additional information at that time too? Many thanks...
    17-05-2022, 07:17 AM
Working...
X