Broken Stairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Stairs

I rent a Mews apartment, which is accessible via an external wooden staircase. I notified my landlord verbally several weeks ago that one of the treads (2nd from the bottom was rotting) to the extent that it was dangerous. He came to the apartment and saw the problem and agreed it needed to be fixed. He told me that his business partner who does all the repairs would need to be informed. I tried to contact this partner to no avail. Luckily I bumped into him in the street last week and told him of the problem. He said he would come and have a look. In the meantime, the tread broke. Again I spoke to my landlord who came and had another look. He agreed it needs to be repaired, and said the tread could be shored up with some bricks??!! While examining the stairs I also noted that the top tread was rotting. The partner has yet to come and look at the stairs and I am left jumping over the broken tread onto the step above/below when getting into and out of the apartment. Is there anything I can do to make them get a move on with this repair?

Originally posted by dungareedoll40 View Post
    I rent a Mews apartment, which is accessible via an external wooden staircase. I notified my landlord verbally several weeks ago that one of the treads (2nd from the bottom was rotting) to the extent that it was dangerous. He came to the apartment and saw the problem and agreed it needed to be fixed. He told me that his business partner who does all the repairs would need to be informed. I tried to contact this partner to no avail. Luckily I bumped into him in the street last week and told him of the problem. He said he would come and have a look. In the meantime, the tread broke. Again I spoke to my landlord who came and had another look. He agreed it needs to be repaired, and said the tread could be shored up with some bricks??!! While examining the stairs I also noted that the top tread was rotting. The partner has yet to come and look at the stairs and I am left jumping over the broken tread onto the step above/below when getting into and out of the apartment. Is there anything I can do to make them get a move on with this repair?
    You should not have to wait several weeks for this kind of repair. Advise your LL in writing that the stairs are unsafe and that it is his responsibility to organise a repair. Tell him that unless he does so within the next seven days, (give a date) you will get three quotes for the work, instruct a tradesman yourself and deduct the cost from the rent. Keep a copy of the letter and the proof of postage.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

See this link, which gives info on dealing with disrepair.
      http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...n_private_lets

The full procedure for arranging the repairs yourself and deducting the cost from the rent, as suggested by MTG, is in the link headed "Tenants doing repairs".

With this and with any communications with the landlord, keep copies of all letters, and proof of posting (a free certificate of posting is sufficient evidence of delivery).

Comment

Thanks

Thank you for your help. I have accessed the web site you indicated and am now following the advice given.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X