Boiler Scrappage scheme (England) £400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boiler Scrappage scheme (England) £400

Just thought I'd post this for anyone thinking of changing their boiler in a rented property.
    A Government scheme is out (cheques not payable till January the 18th), giving £400 pounds towards a new A rated boiler.
    Sounds good to me, afraid its only in England (so no good for me) but worth a look for some of you guys.

Originally posted by Izzycam View Post
    Just thought I'd post this for anyone thinking of changing their boiler in a rented property.
    A Government scheme is out (cheques not payable till January the 18th), giving £400 pounds towards a new A rated boiler.
    Sounds good to me, afraid its only in England (so no good for me) but worth a look for some of you guys.
    I came across this today too. Are A rated boilers more expensive? or are they the standard combi boilers used these days. And I wonder if you can use this scheme with smaller companies. Because they are better on price normally.

Comment

Originally posted by SALL View Post
      Are A rated boilers more expensive? or are they the standard combi boilers used these days. And I wonder if you can use this scheme with smaller companies. Because they are better on price normally.
      I think the vast majority of current boilers are A-rated in fact. The other 'rub' is that the boiler being replaced has to be G-rated (ie the lowest band) and working.

Official details here:
      http://www.governmentboiler-scrappagescheme.info/

Amazingly, the deal is open to landlords as well as owner-occupiers.

Comment

However, I hear that the newer types of boilers are far less durable than those which they are intended to supersede; so not a longer-term saving.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
          However, I hear that the newer types of boilers are far less durable than those which they are intended to supersede; so not a longer-term saving.
          Not sure that's necessarily the case actually, at least not any more. For sure, when the first generation of domestic condensing boilers came out (at least ~10 years ago?) many of them were a heap of junk, mainly because essentially they just had the crucial 'condensing' part added on to the old design of boiler. Since then I believe most if not all manufacturers have produced decent purpose-designed models, so the inherent reliability issues associated with earlier models is hopefully a thing of the past.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
            Don't worry, Jeffrey - there will always be a need for old boilers!
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Politeness precludes my intended riposte.
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I saw this on the news. They say over 2k for new bioler. Nonsense. It's over 2k for installation of central heating.
                New boiler inc fitting is around 1.1k

Comment

Originally posted by SALL View Post
                  And I wonder if you can use this scheme with smaller companies. Because they are better on price normally.
                  yes, you can use your own nominated installer. You would have to get the quote first, get an approval for the £400 voucher and the go-ahead to install, pay up front for the work done, and then claim the rebate by sending the vouchers back - and expect payment within 25 days of that.

Considering that to save the £400, you have to spend on avg £2000, then the homeowner/LL still has to shell out £1600 which is just sitting there waiting to be spent!

If the boiler is already on its last legs and needs replacing, that's fine, but if it aint broke, why would anyone take up the offer??

And what about the installers that will up their already inflated prices anyway - and then by the time you get the rebate, its made no difference!

A bit like the car scrappage scheme - farce.

Comment

Originally posted by Pobinr View Post
                    I saw this on the news. They say over 2k for new bioler. Nonsense. It's over 2k for installation of central heating.
                    New boiler inc fitting is around 1.1k
                    all region dependent. and that figure is not nonsense. I currently have a quote for £2.3K to replace a floor standing old boiler with a gloworm flexicom 30cx condensing combi (which costs circa £700), associated pipework, thermostat, system flush etc. I'm still quering installer why so expensive.

If you can do same for £1.1K, please PM me, I've got a couple of replacements pending.

Comment

You may like to try, my hammer.com.
                      It is a site where fully qualified tradesmen bid against each other for work ( I know it sounds strange, but it can work in some cases, as long as you make sure they are registered).
                      I have heard of a few cases where they have had bids for installing boilers at £500 below most quotes.
                      It may be that some plumbers would rather get some work rather than none at a cheaper rate on days when they are not so busy.
                      Anyway it's a great idea and the feedback system works along the same lines as ebay , you can even contact previous jobs they have done to check workmanship.
                      Hope this helps.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X