yet another rent recovery question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yet another rent recovery question

Thanks to you all on this forum for the frequent excellent advice. I have acted on it at all times and managed to always play fair and by the rules. Successfully and legally evicted without solicitors due to good advice. Here is my latest query, T has been a total pain with erratic and inadequate rent payments, bad communication and frequent lies about payments. We have been patient through his difficulties, reduced the rent for 3 months. He is often not 2 months arrears at one time but always late. Got fed up and served sec 21 due to expire Feb 3rd. Now over 2 months rent arrears. Best way to claim rent?
    1. Sec 8 ( do I need to coincide the dates with the sec 21)
    2. Small claims court
    3. Debt collectors (no idea how this works)
    My husband wants to threaten to tell his employers I wonder is this harassment.
    Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else, I have had a wonderful and enlightening search, learned quite a lot but not found the answer.
    Luckily most of my tenants are great, shame about the odd bad ones taking up lots of time and energy
    Thanks for your wisdom

Originally posted by Karen View Post
    Thanks to you all on this forum for the frequent excellent advice. I have acted on it at all times and managed to always play fair and by the rules. Successfully and legally evicted without solicitors due to good advice. Here is my latest query, T has been a total pain with erratic and inadequate rent payments, bad communication and frequent lies about payments. We have been patient through his difficulties, reduced the rent for 3 months. He is often not 2 months arrears at one time but always late. Got fed up and served sec 21 due to expire Feb 3rd. Now over 2 months rent arrears. Best way to claim rent?
    1. Sec 8 ( do I need to coincide the dates with the sec 21)
    Use grounds 8, 10 & 11 then you still have a chance of eviction even if rent due becomes less than 2 months. You can issue the notice tommorrow and file the court papers a fortnight later (ie 2 weeks earlier than s21)
    2. Small claims court
    Extra un-necessary expense. I you use s8 instead of s21 you get probable eviction and a court order for your money for one fee.
    3. Debt collectors (no idea how this works)
    Won't be able to do much without the court order you'd get from s8
    My husband wants to threaten to tell his employers I wonder is this harassment.
    V. Dodgy, almost certainly harassment and has the potential to turn into an illegal eviction claim

Be aware that when court evicts T he will be given at least 14 days to go. If he doesn't go then, you have to employ the official court bailiffs to remove him. This is more delay & expense (iro 3 weeks / £95)

Comment

many thanks

Comment

If he still doesn't pay his rent and you evict him you could apply for an attachment of earnings order.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Dogs
          by royw
          What does your AST say about it?
          05-12-2021, 23:20 PM
        • Dogs
          by Bridge2020
          My tenant has asked if he can get a dog. Where do I stand on this ?...
          05-12-2021, 11:23 AM
        • Advice on s.8 & s.21
          by Hetty911
          Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Would be grateful for advice on the below.

Have a tenant on a AST which expired in July and has rolled onto a periodic tenancy. Over past 6 months rent has been delayed, partial and on two occasions unpaid. 2 months rent is missing...
          05-12-2021, 22:01 PM
        • Reply to Accelerated possession order
          by Hudson01
          Unless the tenant has dependent children, some, or all with a disability, and some other form of vulnerability for her/him self..... they will be in a crummy emergency accommodation flea pit or a dumpy flat in a place resembling the film set of '' Escape from New York ''. They are deluded.
          05-12-2021, 20:36 PM
        • Accelerated possession order
          by Pariah81
          A tenant has refused to leave the property at the end of her tenancy and has now asked to be evicted as in her words 'that will make her eligible for a council house'.

I am sending an accelerated possession order through the courts but whilst completed the forms noticed two apparent errors...
          05-12-2021, 18:12 PM
          by theartfullodger
          Thatcher's 1988 housing act makes it clear tenant does not have to leave at end of fixed term

Why help tenant take a council property from a more deserving case? I'd decline to serve s21. S8 if possible... (was she ever late with rent?)
          05-12-2021, 19:17 PM
          by Pariah81
          Ok so it looks like the section 21 notice is invalid as a result of this error. The deposit scheme was not in place at the time of the notice.

Apparently the deposit has to be returned in full....
          05-12-2021, 18:35 PM
        • Reply to Dogs
          by ash72
          The good thing is they have asked you prior to getting one, so the decision is yours. If you do decide then I would suggest you increase rent to compensate for your loss in the future.
          05-12-2021, 17:21 PM
        • Reply to Dogs
          by jpkeates
          I wouldn't, but it does depend on what type of dog.
          You should assume your carpets will all need replacing.
          05-12-2021, 16:21 PM
        • Reply to STA, Section 8 and Court delays/Christmas
          by jpkeates
          Assuming it's an AST (STA's are Scottish)...
          You don't have to renew the tenancy, just let it become periodic.
          And, you're right, don't renew it.

To repossess, you'll either have to attend court or pay a solicitor to do so on your behalf.

If the tenant doesn't owe...
          05-12-2021, 16:13 PM
        Working...
        X