Section 8 - 2 months in arrears question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Section 8 - 2 months in arrears question

Just reading up on the details of section 8 and evicting of tenants who do not pay. My tenant already owes me rent from Dec 2009 and has not paid despite letters, e-mails, txt msgs, and phone calls.

Rent is paid in advance. So the Dec 2009 payment would have been for the Dec 2009 month. No section 8 ground 8 requires that the tenant is owing 8 weeks rents when you serve the notice.

My question is, can I serve the section 8 when the rent for Jan 2010 becomes due early this month as I would have thought he is then owing 8 weeks worth of rent in effect? Or do I have to wait until the full 8 weeks of non-payment to be up before I can serve notice?

He also paid late in month 2 of his tenancy. Obviously hasn't paid month 3 as yet, and doesn't look likely he will pay month 4. Is that enough to list ground 10 as well on the section 8 notice?

Thanks.

Hi again,

I have just done more digging around in the suggested links and think I have found the answer. But further confirmation would not be unwelcome.

The tenant did also have a guarantor on file. I have written to them demanding payment but no payment has been forthcoming. Where do I stand in this case? Do I have to take in to consideration the guarantor before serving a section 8? Does it complicate things?

Thanks.

Comment

You can serve the S8 grounds 8/10/11 as soon as the rent is 2 months unpaid, that is effectively one month and one day. (two rent days).
      You can demand the money from the guarantor, if it's not forthcoming then issue a court claim on both of them.
      I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Thanks.

That sounds expensive - 2 court fees instead of just one.

This is going to be the first time I am going to have to evict someone (and go to court). Scary!

This tenant was found by the agency I was using (which has now disappeared leaving a mess - see my other posts). After this experience with agencies I am definitely going to stick to managing things myself from now on even though I live many miles away from my property. Being in control of things and making sure things get done properly more than compensates for the effort and petrol costs (and I save on the agency fees anyway).

Comment

One court fee. Join them both in the same action.

Comment

Originally posted by jta View Post
            One court fee. Join them both in the same action.
            Can you include a guarantor in a S8 repossession (as opposed to a small claim?)

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
              Ah! Dunno! Jeffrey?

Comment

Originally posted by agoodlandlord View Post
                My question is, can I serve the section 8 when the rent for Jan 2010 becomes due early this month as I would have thought he is then owing 8 weeks worth of rent in effect? Or do I have to wait until the full 8 weeks of non-payment to be up before I can serve notice?
                Serve s.8, g8, 10, 11 on tenant (T), as soon as:
                (a) 8 weeks rent is unpaid- if rent paid weekly, or
                (b) 2 months rent is unpaid- if rent paid monthly.

g8 is a mandatory ground, and is applicable under (a) & (b). g10, 11 are discretionary grounds.

s.8 claim will be against T not guarantor.
                The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

Originally posted by tom999 View Post
                  s.8 claim will be against T not guarantor.
                  Yes, although L's right to recover the debt will be against T and G.
                  JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                  4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

If after serving the section 8 the tenant vacates the property within the 14 days, do I still need to go to court to get possession. If tenant does not inform me that they are vacating could I go to the property on day 14 to see if they have left on their own? Would it be legal to do this and then change the locks if it appears that they have left the property?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Single parent renting
                      by Dct
                      I feel it's unfair to penalize single parent just because of receiving UC which is mainly used to pay childcare costs. She's no risk because she's on her own without that second income. I guess it's true there are fewer properties to rent and landlords can afford to be fussy. It's disheartening for...
                      19-05-2022, 05:31 AM
                    • Single parent renting
                      by Dct
                      A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
                      18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
                    • Reply to notifying utility companies of tenant change
                      by DoricPixie
                      You don't need the password of the vacating tenant. Their account with the utility company has nothing to do with you as you are setting up a new account not taking over the tenant's account. The section on the websites is usually called something like "Moving Home" and although you're not...
                      19-05-2022, 03:26 AM
                    • notifying utility companies of tenant change
                      by flyingfreehold
                      Does anyone have a shortcut? Right now we seem to have to hang on interminably long on the phone to provide details of leaver readings, put the account back in landlords name and then to provide new tenants' details when the place is re-let. Anyone know of a shortcut? We used to send out letters but...
                      18-05-2022, 21:10 PM
                      by flyingfreehold
                      but how can you give the information online if you dont have the password of the tenant vacating?
                      19-05-2022, 02:14 AM
                      by DoricPixie
                      You’re not really putting the account back into the landlord’s name, you’re opening a new account.

I thought the majority of utility suppliers let you set up a new account online as they don’t really want you phoning them either. Closing the account is all done online too and the...
                      19-05-2022, 00:35 AM
                    • Reply to Windows and front door smashed
                      by Yorkie2020
                      Thanks artfull, we have the CRN. we may need help from the place you suggested as I've never had to deal with an insurance company before and it's already looking like its going to be North of £1600 claim and they will try to wriggle out of it.

Had a very unpleasant chat with the tenant...
                      19-05-2022, 00:04 AM
                    • Windows and front door smashed
                      by Yorkie2020
                      Tenant messaged this morning to say her living room window and front door were smashed in last night plus some other damage. She called the police who arranged for someone to secure the broken window and door.
                      In all the years of being a landlord, I've never had to make an insurance claim before,...
                      17-05-2022, 16:41 PM
                    • Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
                      by Renterthedragon
                      I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

Approaching the end...
                      18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
                      by ash72
                      I've not found any short-cuts, as each company has their own quirks on dealing with this. It usually takes a couple of calls to a customer services person to provide the information, due to GDPR they wont say anything about the exiting T.

Some Councils, seem to have an online form you can...
                      18-05-2022, 21:21 PM
                    Working...
                    X