Section 8 - 2 months in arrears question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Section 8 - 2 months in arrears question

Just reading up on the details of section 8 and evicting of tenants who do not pay. My tenant already owes me rent from Dec 2009 and has not paid despite letters, e-mails, txt msgs, and phone calls.

Rent is paid in advance. So the Dec 2009 payment would have been for the Dec 2009 month. No section 8 ground 8 requires that the tenant is owing 8 weeks rents when you serve the notice.

My question is, can I serve the section 8 when the rent for Jan 2010 becomes due early this month as I would have thought he is then owing 8 weeks worth of rent in effect? Or do I have to wait until the full 8 weeks of non-payment to be up before I can serve notice?

He also paid late in month 2 of his tenancy. Obviously hasn't paid month 3 as yet, and doesn't look likely he will pay month 4. Is that enough to list ground 10 as well on the section 8 notice?

Thanks.

Hi again,

I have just done more digging around in the suggested links and think I have found the answer. But further confirmation would not be unwelcome.

The tenant did also have a guarantor on file. I have written to them demanding payment but no payment has been forthcoming. Where do I stand in this case? Do I have to take in to consideration the guarantor before serving a section 8? Does it complicate things?

Thanks.

Comment

You can serve the S8 grounds 8/10/11 as soon as the rent is 2 months unpaid, that is effectively one month and one day. (two rent days).
      You can demand the money from the guarantor, if it's not forthcoming then issue a court claim on both of them.
      I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Thanks.

That sounds expensive - 2 court fees instead of just one.

This is going to be the first time I am going to have to evict someone (and go to court). Scary!

This tenant was found by the agency I was using (which has now disappeared leaving a mess - see my other posts). After this experience with agencies I am definitely going to stick to managing things myself from now on even though I live many miles away from my property. Being in control of things and making sure things get done properly more than compensates for the effort and petrol costs (and I save on the agency fees anyway).

Comment

One court fee. Join them both in the same action.

Comment

Originally posted by jta View Post
            One court fee. Join them both in the same action.
            Can you include a guarantor in a S8 repossession (as opposed to a small claim?)

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
              Ah! Dunno! Jeffrey?

Comment

Originally posted by agoodlandlord View Post
                My question is, can I serve the section 8 when the rent for Jan 2010 becomes due early this month as I would have thought he is then owing 8 weeks worth of rent in effect? Or do I have to wait until the full 8 weeks of non-payment to be up before I can serve notice?
                Serve s.8, g8, 10, 11 on tenant (T), as soon as:
                (a) 8 weeks rent is unpaid- if rent paid weekly, or
                (b) 2 months rent is unpaid- if rent paid monthly.

g8 is a mandatory ground, and is applicable under (a) & (b). g10, 11 are discretionary grounds.

s.8 claim will be against T not guarantor.
                The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

Originally posted by tom999 View Post
                  s.8 claim will be against T not guarantor.
                  Yes, although L's right to recover the debt will be against T and G.
                  JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                  4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

If after serving the section 8 the tenant vacates the property within the 14 days, do I still need to go to court to get possession. If tenant does not inform me that they are vacating could I go to the property on day 14 to see if they have left on their own? Would it be legal to do this and then change the locks if it appears that they have left the property?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Section 21 superseded new Section 21 - Landlord Vs Tenant 1 Vs Tenant 2
                      by propster717
                      Hi all,

I would be grateful for any advice:

I'm a landlord as follows:

AST - commenced 12/04/2021
                      6 month fixed term, now contractual periodic (has not been renewed).
                      Tenant 1
                      Tenant 2
                      (No children)
                      Guarantor (relation of Tenant 1)...
                      20-01-2022, 15:12 PM
                    • Reply to Ending of a tenancy
                      by Jon66
                      I don't want to rain on everyone's parade, but I do not wait for tenants to move out before marketing the property, and I sign the new tenancy agreement providing the current tenant has not attempted to rescind the notice/everything seems to point to them leaving, when they said they would. A 6 week...
                      20-01-2022, 15:07 PM
                    • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
                      by jpucng62
                      The last 20 years may have been the 'golden years' for BTL. There is more regulation & higher taxation on BTLs; mortgage costs are going up; tenants are getting more rights & EPC C is coming.

The stock market is the place to go instead - £20k per year in an ISA means all tax is...
                      20-01-2022, 15:07 PM
                    • Reply to N244 Application Notice Q10 Evidence
                      by rapid111111
                      Thanks for the reply. This is a different case.
                      The defendants are asking to set aside. Any paperwork sent to me has come from the courts only and not them.

I've provided the defendants and the court with paperwork in preparation for the hearing to set aside....
                      20-01-2022, 15:03 PM
                      by davetg
                      I still can't think of a better thing to invest in even given all the new regulations. The lessons i have learnt are:-
                      1) Never let to people on benefits.
                      2) Don't over leverage your borrowing.
                      3) Have access to spare funds for unexpected things like a new boiler being required or...
                      20-01-2022, 15:00 PM
                    • Reply to Possession hearing
                      by davetg
                      The two I have done were quite informal - the tenants didn't show up so I had to wait quite a while as they give every opportunity for them to arrive late.

I was shown into a room with the judge sitting at a big table and offered a seat on the other side of the table. The judge looked at...
                      20-01-2022, 14:49 PM
                    • Possession hearing
                      by Gizmo1959
                      I am a LL and am due to attend a Possession Hearing on one of my properties in March
                      Would appreciate any information on what I need to take with me and what to expect when I get there
                      Thanks
                      20-01-2022, 14:22 PM
                      by doobrey
                      +1 on the above (post #17).

To item 1, I would add: 'Risk'.
                      20-01-2022, 14:43 PM
                    • Greetings, I Come in Peace
                      by AVJ113
                      Hello all, I am a prospective landlord. I will be arranging my first mortgage in principle today as a start to my evil buy-to-let empire. As a total newb, what would be the one piece of advice you would give after your years of experience as a landlord?
                      20-01-2022, 07:24 AM
                    • Reply to Possession hearing
                      by Gizmo1959
                      Served a Section 8 due to rent arrears.
                      Bit of an unusual situation (I think) Tenant was moved by Social Services due to domestic violence. Rent was being paid by Universal Credit for a while then ended. Managed to track tenant down and provided letters for her to sign to end the tenancy which...
                      20-01-2022, 14:32 PM
                    Working...
                    X