Landlord giving too short notice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlord giving too short notice

We are five friends renting a house from a landlord without any written contract. We pay rent weekly. We knew that the house was on the market but the landlord did not let us know that a sale has been agreed.

He then gave us only 2 and a half week's notice (over Christmas!) to vacate the property. I know that he has not yet exchanged contracts and wish to do so the day after us vacating the property.

I read up a bit and know that in the case where a periodic tenancy follows a fixed term contract, the landlord has to give us 2 month's notice. Although, we never had a fixed term contract so not too sure. Can anyone please give some advice?

When did you move into the house?
    Does the landlord live at the house, or use it as his main residence?
    Is the house in England or Wales?
    The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

And, assuming that L granted only one letting of the whole house, does the rate of rent (annualised) exceed £25 000?
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

When did you move into the house? - The one girl has been living there for more than a year. The rest of us for about 2 months. we moved in knowing that the house might be sold anytime, but expected more notice.Does the landlord live at the house, or use it as his main residence? No
        Is the house in England or Wales?. In London

Comment

We pay £410 per week so less than£25K per year?

Comment

Originally posted by gideonbot View Post
            When did you move into the house? - The one girl has been living there for more than a year. The rest of us for about 2 months. we moved in knowing that the house might be sold anytime, but expected more notice.Does the landlord live at the house, or use it as his main residence? No
            Is the house in England or Wales?. In London
            And, assuming that L granted only one letting of the whole house, does the rate of rent (annualised) exceed £25 000?
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Mice in the flat - what to do?
              JP23
              We have had mice for a while now. There's only one or two that we see (we're not overrun) but still, they've left urine stains in our cupboard and behind the skirting it's ridiculously filthy and soiled.

Are we legally able to pay for a cleaner then subtract it from our rent next month...
              26-07-2017, 06:02 AM
            • Reply to Mice in the flat - what to do?
              HantsAgent
              Great, but you've entirely missed the point I was making.

If someone walked across my front garden and allowed their dog to take a massive dump I'd have more than reasonable grounds to hold them responsible for cleaning it up.

But if they refused or claimed that it wasn't down...
              21-08-2017, 10:01 AM
            • NTQ during fixed term?
              vpltd
              Hi,
              Can a LL issue a valid NTQ during the six-month fixed term of an AST agreement?
              (A residential let in England.)
              VPL.
              11-08-2017, 14:53 PM
            • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
              jpkeates
              Notice to quit is pretty well defined, "surrender" is not, so while that list looks complete, it is in fact not.

For a tenant to surrender a tenancy, there should be an offer of surrender and the landlord has to accept that offer.

If s21 notice is served and a tenant...
              21-08-2017, 09:50 AM
            • End of student tenancy
              mkgirl
              Hi

my Daughter shared a house last year with 4 strangers as she didn't get in to halls. It's been a bit of a nightmare as the 2 lads were very disrespectful with regards to cleanliness, having people over and paying towards bills. She came home a lot and i may came home for the summer as...
              20-08-2017, 17:29 PM
            • Reply to End of student tenancy
              jpkeates
              There's only (legally) one tenant in a joint tenancy ("who" is made up of the five occupants all of whom are liable for all of the obligations of the tenant), so yes, the badly maintaining students will be subsidised by the better behaved students.

The "Lead Tenant"...
              21-08-2017, 09:17 AM
            • Tenants reporting damp issues in flat
              james99
              Hi,

I rent out a modern / purpose built ground floor flat which I've owned for c15 years and lived in it myself up until the last few years when I have rented it out. Never had any issues with damp when I was living there or with past tenants, however, the current tenants have reported...
              16-08-2017, 16:53 PM
            • Reply to Tenants reporting damp issues in flat
              leaseholder64
              Most head leases for flats forbid drying within the grounds but outside the flat, so requiring drying outside the property means an extended dry in the laundrette, so you if you want to impose such a rule, you should probably ban washing machines as well.

(Where I live, a common breach...
              21-08-2017, 09:16 AM
            • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
              jjlandlord
              The Act clearly states what a s.21 notice does, which is nothing apart from allowing the landlord to go to court.

I have just done so.

If a s.21 does nothing then the tenant may only end the tenancy by surrender or notice to quit. Both of which are very well documented...
              21-08-2017, 09:08 AM
            • Reply to End of student tenancy
              mkgirl
              Sadly all on one joint tenancy. We've learnt the hard way never to do this again! To be fair the lead tenant process was never explained, they just said someone had to be lead tenant!...
              21-08-2017, 09:05 AM
            Working...
            X