T informing LL's mortgage company that property is tenanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Given we are only two months in to the 12 month AST I would argue a full refund, quite a disgrace that the LA the size of Carter Jonas did not do any due diligence and that repossession proceedings had started prior to the tenancy being signed. LL almost certainly guilty of fraud but given he is bankrupt, I am not entirely sure it is worth pursuing other than adding a CCJ to his list of debts and costing me 90 quid

Comment

Originally posted by matthew_henson View Post
      Given we are only two months in to the 12 month AST I would argue a full refund, quite a disgrace that the LA the size of Carter Jonas did not do any due diligence and that repossession proceedings had started prior to the tenancy being signed. LL almost certainly guilty of fraud but given he is bankrupt, I am not entirely sure it is worth pursuing other than adding a CCJ to his list of debts and costing me 90 quid
      Not necessarily - if he went bankrupt in May 09, all debts will have been wiped off and he will still be an undischarged bankrupt, so it is highly unlikely he will have obtained any more credit since then. He could also be on quite a good income - you don't have to be on the breadline to go bankrupt, you just have to be in a position where you can't cover your debts. (For example, you could bring home £3k pcm, with living expenses of £1,500 & monthly credit commitments of £2,000 and you would be insolvent - despite having £1,500 'disposable' income each month.)

IF he has surplus income after essential living expenses are taken into account, then he could be forced to make payments towards the debts covered by the bankruptcy via the official receiver. (I think it's about 2/3 of any surplus, but don't quote me on that.) Unless he is placed under bankruptcy restrictions (e.g. if he accrued any of his debts fraudulently, or took out credit immediately before declaring himself bankrupt) then these will be for a maximum of three years.

If you obtain a CCJ against him, you have 6 years to enforce it. If he does have surplus income you can wait until his bankruptcy payments have finished and then enforce the judgement; even if he's skint now, things could always improve for him in the next couple of years, and at least he has no other debts so will be in a position to pay you quicker. It's also unlikely he's going to be able to get credit in the next few years to run up other debts.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Part furnished
        by MdeB
        Every place I have rented (5 places up to age 29) were furnished; when I moved I needed a couple of suit cases.

Every place I have let has been unfurnished, because it is less hassle for me and there is the demand for unfurnished properties....
        18-09-2020, 20:05 PM
      • Part furnished
        by Chester Perry
        Our property was let part furnished however upon leaving the Ex. tenant took it upon himself to relieve us of the white goods and wooden blinds.

The dishwasher, washing machine, 2 x fridge freezers and wooden blinds throughout were actually ones purchased when the property was our main...
        18-09-2020, 13:34 PM
      • Reply to Housing First - what are your thoughts?
        by doobrey
        Agree.

Good luck. Sounds like an impossible job to me, unfortunately....
        18-09-2020, 20:04 PM
      • Housing First - what are your thoughts?
        by LandlordLiaisonOfficer
        Hello,

I work for a homeless charity and I am hoping you don't mind me bending your ear and gaining some landlord insight on a model we are imminently implementing for some of our service users.

Traditional housing models within the homeless sector require the service user...
        18-09-2020, 12:32 PM
      • Reply to Tenant taking issue with "lateness" of inspection.
        by Jon66
        This is poor behaviour by you as landlord. Letting yourselves in to paint a wall without asking is very out of order, and the second time being late by 25 minutes is unacceptable, and then you let yourselves in without contacting the tenant. Very unprofessional. There is a pattern emerging of just...
        18-09-2020, 20:03 PM
      • Tenant taking issue with "lateness" of inspection.
        by SamCartman
        We gave 4 working days notice to our tenant of entry to inspect, and specified 2pm to meet with them at the property.
        We arrived 20-25 minutes late due to traffic and rung the doorbell with no answer, so we used our keys to get in and ran a brief inspection in their absence which was fine. ...
        18-09-2020, 15:43 PM
      • Reply to Tenant taking issue with "lateness" of inspection.
        by MdeB
        It is their property because you have leased it to them.

I too would have been annoyed if you had entered my property without my permission....
        18-09-2020, 19:50 PM
      • Reply to Section 21 issued with new tenancy
        by MdeB
        My experience:
        1. The only S21 notice I have issued, the tenants left when the notice period ended.
        2. A friend of my wife received a S21 notice (it appeared invalid in about 8 ways when she gave me details) after sho posted on her social media page a photo and question about mould in her toddler's bedroom.
        18-09-2020, 19:40 PM
      • Section 21 issued with new tenancy
        by fmST1
        When a new tenant moves into a property, I get them to sign a section 21 so that if whatever reason things don’t work out, the necessary paperwork is already in place.
        I’ve never had a need to exercise this yet, but would it work?...
        11-09-2020, 08:43 AM
      • Reply to Part furnished
        by jpucng62
        So what do they do with their furniture between these 'owned houses'?

Just because you experience is different to mine doesn't make my view of renters any stranger than yours. It is based on 20 years of tenants who have all happily supplied their own furniture. I accept that it is not a...
        18-09-2020, 19:37 PM
      Working...
      X