Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice to Vacate

Hi,
    Today all of the tenants residing in The HMO in which I reside received the following letter from the landlord.

Dear *****,
    Please note that as of todays date the property is going to be put on the market for sale. I have been advised by my solicitor to give you a four week period to vacate the premises,as vacant possesion is necessary.
    I will of course understand if you feel you would like to leave before this period is up.

Yours****

When I read this letter in the presence of the landlord,I informed him that I had no axe to grind with him,that I could fully understand his reasons for wanting to sell the property but that I would require a section 21 notice giving me two months notice.the reply I received was I have shown this letter to my solicitor and I was informed that this was all the notice I was required to give and that the letter you received off me is fully legal.

Can anyone please advise as I will be going to my local Housing Office on Monday.

In advance,many thanks for advice received.

Mago

It could be that our gurus on Houses in Multiple Occupation may need some details of the accommodation and the written agreement.

See Houses in Multiple Occupation - License or Tenancy Agreement
    Vic - wicked landlord
    Any advice or suggestions given in my posts are intended for guidance only and not a substitute for completing full searches on this forum, having regard to the advice of others, or seeking appropriate professional opinion.
    Without Plain English Codes of Practice and easy to complete Prescribed Forms the current law is too complex and is thus neither fair to good tenants nor good landlords.

Comment

Vic, Mago has posted repeatedly on this subject and has been advised time and again what needs to be done.

Mago take the letter to the local housing office as you say you are going to do. They will then tell you that the letter is not valid and that you need a section 21. Your Landlord is trying to pull a fast one and is at risk of losing a lot of money if he evicts you illegaly.

On a different note.... where have all the recent posts gone??
      GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Hi,
        I realise that I am becoming a bit of a pest but,(every time the landlord turns up he is issuing letters to the tenants),ie rent increases,notices to vacate etc. I am the only one in the house with access to the internet and therefore I am asking advice on behalf of the tenants as they me to do so.

Sorry for being so repetitive

Mago

Comment

Mago, take all the letters to the local housing office, what your landlord is doing is called harrasement. I understand that you are worried but the advise we have given stands over and over, take it to the local authority, what he is doing is wrong. Once you have the local authority involved he will begin to see that what he is doing is wrong. He is trying to push you out of the property and that can be construed as illegal eviction if he suceeds.

Stand your ground at the council offices and show them all the evidence you have, keep a log of the Landlords visits and present that too as again that is harrasement.

Good luck
          GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Originally posted by Mago
            When I read this letter in the presence of the landlord,I informed him that I had no axe to grind with him,that I could fully understand his reasons for wanting to sell the property but that I would require a section 21 notice giving me two months notice.the reply I received was I have shown this letter to my solicitor and I was informed that this was all the notice I was required to give and that the letter you received off me is fully legal.

Mago
            You know that you are right so I would advice doing nothing. Just stay there until he issues correct notice. Of course you do run the risk of him just locking you out but then you can just do the same to him !! Or just leave...

Comment

Thanks to all who posted advice.

Every cloud has a silver lining.
              I have been offered a one bedroom ground floor Council flat,4mins.walk away from where I reside at the present time. The Housing Dept. are taking action against my landlord for harrasament of his tenants etc.

Mago

Comment

I hope there is nothing preventing you from accepting this offer. Good luck.

Comment

Congrats Mago! Hope the move goes well and keep us posted on the Council vs the LL!!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to notifying utility companies of tenant change
                    by DoricPixie
                    You don't need the password of the vacating tenant. Their account with the utility company has nothing to do with you as you are setting up a new account not taking over the tenant's account. The section on the websites is usually called something like "Moving Home" and although you're not...
                    19-05-2022, 03:26 AM
                  • notifying utility companies of tenant change
                    by flyingfreehold
                    Does anyone have a shortcut? Right now we seem to have to hang on interminably long on the phone to provide details of leaver readings, put the account back in landlords name and then to provide new tenants' details when the place is re-let. Anyone know of a shortcut? We used to send out letters but...
                    18-05-2022, 21:10 PM
                    by flyingfreehold
                    but how can you give the information online if you dont have the password of the tenant vacating?
                    19-05-2022, 02:14 AM
                    by DoricPixie
                    You’re not really putting the account back into the landlord’s name, you’re opening a new account.

I thought the majority of utility suppliers let you set up a new account online as they don’t really want you phoning them either. Closing the account is all done online too and the...
                    19-05-2022, 00:35 AM
                  • Reply to Windows and front door smashed
                    by Yorkie2020
                    Thanks artfull, we have the CRN. we may need help from the place you suggested as I've never had to deal with an insurance company before and it's already looking like its going to be North of £1600 claim and they will try to wriggle out of it.

Had a very unpleasant chat with the tenant...
                    19-05-2022, 00:04 AM
                  • Windows and front door smashed
                    by Yorkie2020
                    Tenant messaged this morning to say her living room window and front door were smashed in last night plus some other damage. She called the police who arranged for someone to secure the broken window and door.
                    In all the years of being a landlord, I've never had to make an insurance claim before,...
                    17-05-2022, 16:41 PM
                  • Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
                    by Renterthedragon
                    I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

Approaching the end...
                    18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
                    by ash72
                    I've not found any short-cuts, as each company has their own quirks on dealing with this. It usually takes a couple of calls to a customer services person to provide the information, due to GDPR they wont say anything about the exiting T.

Some Councils, seem to have an online form you can...
                    18-05-2022, 21:21 PM
                  • Reply to Single parent renting
                    by Hooper
                    I am not sure that it will make her feel any better but I suspect that the children are more of an issue than being a single mum. Friends of mine have been rejected from every family size house they have applied to. They are high earning professionals with decent references and ... two young kids 2...
                    18-05-2022, 20:28 PM
                  • Single parent renting
                    by Dct
                    A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
                    18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
                  Working...
                  X