Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice to Vacate

Hi,
    Today all of the tenants residing in The HMO in which I reside received the following letter from the landlord.

Dear *****,
    Please note that as of todays date the property is going to be put on the market for sale. I have been advised by my solicitor to give you a four week period to vacate the premises,as vacant possesion is necessary.
    I will of course understand if you feel you would like to leave before this period is up.

Yours****

When I read this letter in the presence of the landlord,I informed him that I had no axe to grind with him,that I could fully understand his reasons for wanting to sell the property but that I would require a section 21 notice giving me two months notice.the reply I received was I have shown this letter to my solicitor and I was informed that this was all the notice I was required to give and that the letter you received off me is fully legal.

Can anyone please advise as I will be going to my local Housing Office on Monday.

In advance,many thanks for advice received.

Mago

It could be that our gurus on Houses in Multiple Occupation may need some details of the accommodation and the written agreement.

See Houses in Multiple Occupation - License or Tenancy Agreement
    Vic - wicked landlord
    Any advice or suggestions given in my posts are intended for guidance only and not a substitute for completing full searches on this forum, having regard to the advice of others, or seeking appropriate professional opinion.
    Without Plain English Codes of Practice and easy to complete Prescribed Forms the current law is too complex and is thus neither fair to good tenants nor good landlords.

Comment

Vic, Mago has posted repeatedly on this subject and has been advised time and again what needs to be done.

Mago take the letter to the local housing office as you say you are going to do. They will then tell you that the letter is not valid and that you need a section 21. Your Landlord is trying to pull a fast one and is at risk of losing a lot of money if he evicts you illegaly.

On a different note.... where have all the recent posts gone??
      GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Hi,
        I realise that I am becoming a bit of a pest but,(every time the landlord turns up he is issuing letters to the tenants),ie rent increases,notices to vacate etc. I am the only one in the house with access to the internet and therefore I am asking advice on behalf of the tenants as they me to do so.

Sorry for being so repetitive

Mago

Comment

Mago, take all the letters to the local housing office, what your landlord is doing is called harrasement. I understand that you are worried but the advise we have given stands over and over, take it to the local authority, what he is doing is wrong. Once you have the local authority involved he will begin to see that what he is doing is wrong. He is trying to push you out of the property and that can be construed as illegal eviction if he suceeds.

Stand your ground at the council offices and show them all the evidence you have, keep a log of the Landlords visits and present that too as again that is harrasement.

Good luck
          GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Originally posted by Mago
            When I read this letter in the presence of the landlord,I informed him that I had no axe to grind with him,that I could fully understand his reasons for wanting to sell the property but that I would require a section 21 notice giving me two months notice.the reply I received was I have shown this letter to my solicitor and I was informed that this was all the notice I was required to give and that the letter you received off me is fully legal.

Mago
            You know that you are right so I would advice doing nothing. Just stay there until he issues correct notice. Of course you do run the risk of him just locking you out but then you can just do the same to him !! Or just leave...

Comment

Thanks to all who posted advice.

Every cloud has a silver lining.
              I have been offered a one bedroom ground floor Council flat,4mins.walk away from where I reside at the present time. The Housing Dept. are taking action against my landlord for harrasament of his tenants etc.

Mago

Comment

I hope there is nothing preventing you from accepting this offer. Good luck.

Comment

Congrats Mago! Hope the move goes well and keep us posted on the Council vs the LL!!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Trying to end tenancy early
                    by asez
                    Hello,

I'm trying to end my tenancy early due to a relationship breakdown with my housemate, hostility, bullying and my items going missing. There's currently four of us on the agreement which I'm trying to leave. I haven't lived there, apart from around 15 days(when the housemate was away)...
                    24-01-2022, 16:47 PM
                  • Reply to Rent a Room scheme
                    by theartfullodger
                    a) so the mobile home does not provide the (very) basic facilities that any tenant or judge would expect for a dwelling....
                    b) Agree with jpk: Should it get to court (which is when the issue matters..) can;t see any judge deciding it's anything but a tenancy & you the landlord er... not at...
                    24-01-2022, 16:26 PM
                  • Rent a Room scheme
                    by lgr001
                    I have a mobile home next to my property. Do I qualify for the rent a room scheme if I rent out the mobile home but the occupant must use the shower and washing facilities in my house i.e. so that the mobile home is not a separate unit of accommodation? There is a provision by the council that it...
                    24-01-2022, 14:25 PM
                  • Reply to Tenant in situ
                    by jpkeates
                    It's almost impossible to reset the tenancy with a new agreement.
                    The buyer will inherit the previous tenancy at the same point that they're able to let the property on the new agreement, so any new tenancy is going to be a follow on tenancy.
                    So things that need to be done at the very start...
                    24-01-2022, 14:57 PM
                  • Tenant in situ
                    by Bridge2020
                    I’m looking at buying another property to rent out. The one I’m looking at has a tenant in situ. I have seen a copy of the AST and payments to the agents.
                    Anyone have any experience of this please ?...
                    20-01-2022, 08:29 AM
                  • Reply to Rent a Room scheme
                    by jpkeates
                    You're really going to struggle with that not being a tenancy.
                    If the tenant can lock the door to exclude you, and they could wash in a sink, that's likely to be a dwelling house.
                    24-01-2022, 14:52 PM
                  • Reply to Regulated Tenancy
                    by AVJ113
                    Yep, that's exactly what has happened....
                    24-01-2022, 14:12 PM
                  • Regulated Tenancy
                    by AVJ113
                    I have a basic understanding of regulated tenancy. I'm looking to buy a property with a tenant in situ on a regulated tenancy. In the real world, what are the pros and cons? Is there anyone with any experience?
                    24-01-2022, 13:38 PM
                    by DoricPixie
                    How basic is your understanding?

From your other thread you are seeing a broker about a BTL mortgage. I think you will struggle to secure a BTL mortgage against a property with a Regulated Tenancy in place....
                    24-01-2022, 14:05 PM
                    by jpucng62
                    Unless it is REALLY cheap - don't!

I inherited a property with a regulated tenant. The rent can only go up once every 2 years, by a specified amount, although more often if you improve the property, but it will always be cheap.

Most tenants have been in a very long time and...
                    24-01-2022, 13:58 PM
                  Working...
                  X