Electric gone - pay to rehome tenant till fixed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric gone - pay to rehome tenant till fixed?

I desperately need some answers if anyone can help me, please.

I let out my (leasehold) one-bed flat to a couple and the electricity went. No one knew why until an electrician visited. Basically the electrical wire leading from the distribution box to my electric meter had come loose and overheated, melting some equipment. This needs replacing at a cost of £230 plus VAT. ANd it can't be done until five days from now because the electrician has to wait for the wire! My tenants are currently in a B&B at my expense, and will be till it is sorted. Do I really have to pay for that? They are also demanding a rent reduction.
    Furthermore, the electrician and my letting agent think it's the responsibility of the managing agent to fix, but they asked their solicitor who apparently said anything after the distribution box is my responsibility. Is that right? How can I be responsible for electric cable that was fitted when the flats were built, long before I bought mine? Also, can this not be claimed on buildings insurance or the service charge I pay be used for it? Any help would be much appreciated, as it's driving me insane and bankrupting me!!

As the LL you have a statutory obligation to ensure that the electricity installations and supply in your flat are (i) safe and (ii) in working order.

If they are not, you do have an obligation to rehouse the tenant at your own expense, so yes, you do have to pay for the B & B (or other suitable accommodation) until they is fixed. However it seems unreasonable of the tenant to demand a rent reduction in addition, so I would politely tell them that is not possible. A rent reduction might be appropriate if, for example, the Ts stayed in the property and 'made do'.

As far as responsibility for the repair is concerned, unless your lease states otherwise, then you must assume you are liable for the state of the wiring inside your property. Just be glad it has not failed more dangerously, i.e. started a fatal fire. You would be criminally liable in that case if you could not demonstrate that it was safe before it failed.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Help to understand letting agent contract termination clauses
      by gkasus
      I am a first time landlord. Appreciate anyone's help on the interpretation of the termination clauses for my fully managed let property. The tenancy agreement started in 2017 for 1 year and then went into periodic to now. Tenancy is still active.

The current contract is quite explicit...
      14-12-2019, 18:24 PM
    • Reply to Deposit and withholding keys
      by DPT57
      What does the tenancy agreement say the deposit is? If it says a months rent for example it would be easy for the tenant to claim that they paid you one week by bank transfer and the rest in cash. It would be practically impossible for you to dispute this and their penalty claim then goes up to 3x 1...
      14-12-2019, 15:51 PM
    • Deposit and withholding keys
      by Battered landlord
      I’ve been a bit naive. I had a short hold tenancy agreement with tenants signed 18 months ago for a year. They have just moved out. I only recently obtained a small portion of the deposit (initially was asked if I could give them a bit of a grace period to get depot together). They promised to pay...
      06-12-2019, 22:46 PM
    • Reply to rough cost of repairing a basin
      by mariner
      I assume T caused the basin damage, so charge the T for replacing it less estimate for FW&T for lost years of life expectancy since provided new. Thus the Deposit remains intact for other T damage discovered. less FW&T, or combine and use Deposit scheme ADR
      14-12-2019, 14:37 PM
    • rough cost of repairing a basin
      by Battered landlord
      Tenants have cracked a basin (it was new when they moved in). The damages outweigh the deposit I have. I got a quote of £200 for a new sink, including labour and disposal of old sink). They have asked how much to just repair it. Can anyone give me a rough idea? Thanks very much.
      13-12-2019, 19:42 PM
    • Reply to rough cost of repairing a basin
      by royw
      I wouldn't repair it. The cost obviously depends on the basin, anything from £30 up. As long you get a similar one fitting should be straightforward so I would think £200 was a bit steep. I doubt you'd need to pay for disposal, it should fit in your wheelie bin.
      14-12-2019, 14:24 PM
    • Reply to Tennancy - using a rent guarantor
      by eniacs
      Yes you are right. I've explained to them and they understand. They have come back with another guarantor who has a higher income so will try that. Also have another viewing tomorrow with someone else as a back up.

Thanks for assistance. Great forums.
      14-12-2019, 13:09 PM
    • Tennancy - using a rent guarantor
      by eniacs
      Hello;

I've got a tennant applying to rent, everything seems normal, visited the place with her mum and has 2 teenage boys. She works part time but not enough to get approved for the rental payments. She has offered her mum (also working and home owner) as guarantor.

Through...
      12-12-2019, 18:31 PM
    • Reply to Getting Housing benefit paid directly
      by Luke
      Its completely true .
      She seemed quite reasonable when we first met and her story seemed to be true .
      Then she suddenly went crazy .
      And I will not be proceeding with the T/A...
      14-12-2019, 11:01 AM
    • Getting Housing benefit paid directly
      by Luke
      I have a potential tenant who is receiving housing benefit and I would like to be paid directly .
      How do I go about making sure that I get paid directly ?
      12-12-2019, 11:36 AM
    Working...
    X