Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant complaining about white goods

Dear All,
    My tenant is complaining about the washing machine not working properly. They say that the machine is shaking a lot and has become very noisy. They also say that it's not rinsing properly and leaving white detergent marks on the clothes. They claim they've cleaned the soap dispenser but the problem persists,
    When we did the inventory check in, the machine was in proper working condition and we did not have any complaints from previous tenants.
    So could you please tell me who is supposed to get the washing machine fixed ? is it the responsibility of the landlord or should the tenant fix the machine.
    Many Thanks for your help

Normally that would be you; however you might want to look at the following ongoing thread:
    http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums....php?p=177367#
    But presumably your tenancy agreement doesn't mention this issue or you wouldn't be asking the question?

[This is the reason that I don't include dishwasher/washing machines in my properties; they are far more likely to break down and susceptible to abuse than other white goods like fridges and ovens...]

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
      I've had a look at the thread. Though similar problems, but in my case the machine is still working and spinning. But T complains that its too noisy and that it may be that the bearings are gone. The machine itself is about 6 years old.
      Do i need to replace it based on the fact that its 6 years old anyways? or should the T pay for reparing the existing one based on the fact that it was in proper working condition at time of check in and only broke recently.

many thanks for your help

Comment

Unless your agreement says something to the contrary, I believe that the tenant should be responsible for the repair. However, I've always held to the view that if accommodation is offered with white goods like washing machines, then the LL should keep them in working order. In my experience tenants expect this.
        If you agree with this, you're probably better to repair a 6 year-old machine. This is because you can charge the cost of the repair against rental income. If you replace the machine, you cannot get a tax allowance - that is of course if you're claiming the 10% allowance for furniture and fittings.

Comment

Why not agree a time to go over and take a look at the washing machine with the Tenant, run a load cycle through it and if it is noisy or does not work properly then change it. I think if you supply white goods they are your responsibility (as long as T is looking after them in a Tenant like matter)
          My posts are my opinion only and are not intended as professional advice.

I do not claim to be an expert of any sort. I may well be totally wrong, do not rely on my contribution to this forum in any way whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by SG@1977 View Post
            So could you please tell me who is supposed to get the washing machine fixed ? is it the responsibility of the landlord or should the tenant fix the machine.
            What does it say in the tenancy agreement? Is the subject of repair of electrical appliances covered or not?

Comment

Originally posted by SG@1977 View Post
              Dear All,
              They also say that it's not rinsing properly and leaving white detergent marks on the clothes. They claim they've cleaned the soap dispenser but the problem persists,
              White detergent marks are what you get if you use washing POWDER (or tablets) at a low temperature - the water isn't warm enough to dissolve the powder.

Suggest they up the temperature, which will also help to clean the gunge out of the system, or switch to liquid detergent.

Either way, marks should disappear - it's nothing at all to do with the soap dispenser, although they'd clean that anyway if they were acting in a tenant-like manner.

Comment

Originally posted by Sad S View Post
                White detergent marks are what you get if you use washing POWDER (or tablets) at a low temperature - the water isn't warm enough to dissolve the powder.

Suggest they up the temperature, which will also help to clean the gunge out of the system, or switch to liquid detergent.

Either way, marks should disappear - it's nothing at all to do with the soap dispenser, although they'd clean that anyway if they were acting in a tenant-like manner.
                Very good point. And the shaking/noisiness could well be down to overloading the machine (which would also make the rinsing part less effective, if the machine's so stuffed the water can barely circulate). My machine makes a bigger racket when there's a towel in the wash.

Comment

When I wash a large cotton garment such as a dressing gown, the washing machine vibrates a great deal more than several smaller garments of equal total weight.

Sometimes my lodgers use the machine on the shorter wash settings with a full load, which in my opinion is a cause of powder streaking. I have pointed out their error and suggested a longer wash programme, but they revert to the shorter wash when they decide they don't have the time. That's up to them.

You know what, I bet there is nothing wrong with the machine. SG@1977 you need to see what setting the tenants are using, take along a test batch of washing and see what happens. If necessary, you need to suggest a different programme for them to use.

Comment

Powder streaking can also be caused by excessive amounts of powder being used, especially with the concentrated stuff.

Suggest they use the correct quantity either of the powder or of a liquid detergent instead and see if that makes a difference.
                    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

As has been said, I think you need to go and have a look/listen to the machine in action.

An excessively noisy, vibrating washing machine can be a real nuisance, both to the occupier and also possibly to neighbours, depending on the property (i.e. in a flat or even some terraced houses).

If the noise if down to bearings, for instance, then I would consider this wear and tear and it would be down to you, as the LL, to fix.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X