T needed locksmith to gain entry- who pays bill?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T needed locksmith to gain entry- who pays bill?

Hi,

In the case of a tenant being locked out as a result of a 'loose' catch, who is responsible for paying the locksmith's bill?

I must say that this wasn't due to my tenant's negligence - I repeat, the little catch dropped, making it virtually impossible to open the door from the outside - and because this happened out of hours, after midnight, she had no other choice but to resort to a locksmith.

The bill amounts to almost £300, which she paid on the spot cash. She would like to get her money back from us but I am just not sure whether I should be responsible at all for paying.

Please advise

What made the little catch drop? Insured risk?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks for your prompt response...
      Well, the catch dropped by itself, so I am assuming that it wasn't stable or secure enough to stay in place.
      Not insure as far as I am aware...

Comment

Landlords are generally responsible for ensuring the functionality of items in and around the property.

Equally, tenants are generally responsible for carrying out small repairs that say, for example, require a screw tightened.

Without knowing more detail its difficult to judge where the fault lies.

Comment

I presume that the £300 bill included replacing the defective lock or lock part so that everything now works satisfactorily.
          I would think that the LL is responsible for the repair.
          It's just unfortunate that the incident occurred late at night, otherwise you might have been able to find a cheaper remedy. It doesn't sound like something your insurance policy would cover but at least it will be a tax deductible expenditure.

Comment

If the defect was due to wear and tear, insurance would not usually cover it.
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

There isn't much more I can add really...
              I suppose it was a case of 'wear and tear'. There aren't any screws or else that would have avoided the catch from dropping. The only solution was to remove the entire lock system.
              She has been a tenant of mine for almost eight years, in the same flat, and I have never had any issues with her.
              ??

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                If the defect was due to wear and tear, insurance would not usually cover it.
                Would we then have to foot the bill?

Comment

Probably, unless you can prove that the defect arose due to T using the premises not in a proper tenantlike manner.

Comment

Originally posted by johnjw View Post
                    I presume that the £300 bill included replacing the defective lock or lock part so that everything now works satisfactorily.
                    I would think that the LL is responsible for the repair.
                    It's just unfortunate that the incident occurred late at night, otherwise you might have been able to find a cheaper remedy. It doesn't sound like something your insurance policy would cover but at least it will be a tax deductible expenditure.
                    Yes, the bill covers all services, including a new, durable lock

Comment

I would be repaying her sharpish, AND sending her a bunch of flowers. Poor thing, stuck on the doorstep in the middle of the night because your lock had worn out.

And be grateful she hadn't got ME out of bed to sort the problem - nor the LA who would have charge an extra £100 for out of hours service, and £400 for the locksmith.

Comment

I would probably cough up if the tenant was otherwise reliable and not a serial complainer.

But, I would perhaps first check with the locksmith that the fault was indeed as reported (and not a case of T losing the key, for example).

Make sure that the replacement lock meets the standards required for any insurance policy, is of the same quality as the original, and that the work has been carried out to a satisfactory standard without damage to the door.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                          Probably, unless you can prove that the defect arose due to T using the premises not in a proper tenantlike manner.
                          I can't prove that no...and I doubt it anyway...

Oh, I've just remembered that we changed the lock (keyhole only) around March this year after somone broke into the flat. I wonder whether the work done on the lock at the time might have contributed to the catch getting looser...I am no expert but I want to be fair on my tenant!

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
                            I would probably cough up if the tenant was otherwise reliable and not a serial complainer.

But, I would perhaps first check with the locksmith that the fault was indeed as reported (and not a case of T losing the key, for example).

Make sure that the replacement lock meets the standards required for any insurance policy, is of the same quality as the original, and that the work has been carried out to a satisfactory standard without damage to the door.
                            Well, she sent me a copy of the bill. I haven't spoken to the locksmith but there was a note on the bill, from him, quoting the cause of the problem and what he had to do to resolve it.
                            I haven't been to the flat yet. According to what the locksmith told my T, the lock is of higher quality than the previous and this situation shouldn't happen again in future.

Comment

Personally, I'd say if it wasn't the tenants doing, then it's your obligation to pay. As the tenant seems to be a good (and normally inexpensive one) I think it's just one of those things - pay up and don't forget to claim it against your tax.

HOWEVER....

If it was a pain tenant, I would consider these questions...
                              • Is there ONLY one door? Should the tenant have had her 'back door' key on her?
                              • Would it have been cheaper to smash a pane of glass and gain access that way?
                              • Why didn't the tenant contact you for advice / hammer?

None of these would move the cost to your tenant but might give a little room for negotiation over the amount of the repayment. They are all a bit petty and could damage the goodwill that seems to exist between you and your tenant - and that's probably worth a lot more than £300.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tenant's energy debt.
                                Gordonmrln
                                I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
                                20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
                              • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
                                leaseholder64
                                I wasn't aware that the identity of council tax payers was a public record. You might be able to get a statement that it wasn't you. without breaching the Data Protection Act.
                                23-07-2017, 23:27 PM
                              • Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                                JP23
                                Why must we continuously renew our deposit with the scheme each time we re-sign our AST i.e. every 12 months?

Why can the deposit not remain protected throughout the duration of the overall tenant occupation?

Is our landlord acting in questionable faith by asking us to pay...
                                23-07-2017, 04:18 AM
                              • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                                jjlandlord
                                I'd hope so! They run a business after all....
                                23-07-2017, 22:32 PM
                              • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                                KTC
                                The main problem I have for the charge being passed on is that often times (esp. through agents) the charge is actually considerably more than the protection fee they pay the schemes. It's been used as another way for agents (or landlords) to make money.
                                23-07-2017, 22:29 PM
                              • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
                                Wright76
                                Your still confusing your own council tax liability at your current address with that of the rental property.

If no-one was registered as living there then you would have been billed as landlord. The fact that you haven't been indicates that they are aware of who was tenant. ASK THEM FOR...
                                23-07-2017, 22:18 PM
                                Wright76
                                To be fair lvkn yes the rent covers everything you state, but the 48 pound charge Is your choice and is avoidable.

You choose to use an insurance based scheme and hold the tenants money collecting interest. How is it fair to force that charge on your tenant each time?

With...
                                23-07-2017, 22:06 PM
                                Lvkn
                                Hello
                                i am a landlord and have insurance based deposit protection (I hold the deposit in segregated client account and register it with My Deposits) every time a new contract is drawn up we have to pay £48. If a tenancy is renewed, we pay £48. If someone moves out of one of our multiple tenant...
                                23-07-2017, 20:27 PM
                              • Excessive estate agent fees
                                Cml241
                                I have a property which I started renting out via an agency. When the contract started, they found new tenants, did the relevant checks etc and charged an upfront fee which equates to approx one month's rent. As one year has almost passed, the agent has approached me asking if I want them to 'renegotiate'...
                                21-07-2017, 16:26 PM
                              • Reply to Excessive estate agent fees
                                Wright76
                                If you have no ongoing contract with the agent and it was "find" only, they have no right to force you into a new AST.

Depending on the terms of your contract there's nothing to prevent you, if your feeling confident, in renewing the contract yourself and taking over.
                                23-07-2017, 19:11 PM
                              Working...
                              X