Can I sensibly sue landlord to do repairs?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can I sensibly sue landlord to do repairs?

    A friend of mine was renting a flat with his girlfriend in London. This was about 5 years ago.

    He told me that they couln't get the landlord round to fix things without having to wait a long time. In particular, there had been something wrong with the boiler (maybe the water temp thermostat) and he and his girlfriend had been trying to get something done for something like 6 to 9 months.

    In discussing this with someone recently. they felt that it would have been better in my renting friend (above) had taken take legal action against the landlord. Maybe the rent paid could be scaled back to reflect the loss of amenity or maybe witheld entirely pending the worl being done.

    Anyway, I can't see my friend as having been so clueless. And now I wonder if there could have been potential problems which had kept him from pressing harder for the boiler to be fixed.

    can someone guess if the

  • #2
    The standard proceedure is to notify your landlord of the fault in writing and give him a readonable time to carry out the required repair, stating this time in your letter and your intended subsequent actions if the repairs are not carried out. If the landlord fails to respond to this letter appropriately, then the subsequent actions are to obtain three quotations for the necessary work and use the cheapest to get the work done. The cost of this is then deducted from the rent paid, providing the necessary evidence of the payment to the landlord to justify the deduction.

    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.


    Latest Activity


    • Mice in the flat - what to do?
      We have had mice for a while now. There's only one or two that we see (we're not overrun) but still, they've left urine stains in our cupboard and behind the skirting it's ridiculously filthy and soiled.

      Are we legally able to pay for a cleaner then subtract it from our rent next month...
      26-07-2017, 06:02 AM
    • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
      I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
      Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
      24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
    • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
      Are you effectively saying it is standard for a freeholder to have access to build?
      I have looked at the lease, can anyone advise on someone that make the lease clear to me?...
      26-07-2017, 06:01 AM
    • Tenant application form
      Hi all!

      So we are just about to put our flat on the market to rent is there anywhere we can get a ODF application form that we can email to any prospective tenants?

      Thanks in advance,

      25-07-2017, 20:14 PM
    • Reply to Tenant application form
      You really need two forms.
      a) A simple one for first-pass selection containing your basic questions. The point of this one is to help you decide if you are going to waste any time at all (and the tenant's time), even on a viewing.
      b) A much more complicated one (have you ever failed to leave...
      25-07-2017, 23:54 PM
    • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
      I would expect any competent solicitor to have drafted the lease to give as many rights of access for building and repair as the freeholder was likely to want. You'd need to look at the lease to know.
      25-07-2017, 22:57 PM
    • Non- protected deposit, and disputes
      Q1 – Where is the rented property located? England

      Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this? Multiple tenants (a couple) - one tenancy agreement

      Q3 – What date did current TA start 01/11/2016

      Q4 – How long was initial fixed term 6 months
      24-07-2017, 12:25 PM
    • Reply to Non- protected deposit, and disputes
      If by that you meant that an application have been made for voluntary striking off the company from the register, then you need to contact Companies House to object to it on the grounds that 1) it has traded or otherwise carried on business within the last 3 months 2) that you are a creditor and that...
      25-07-2017, 22:55 PM
    • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
      Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
      25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
    • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
      Would the same ring true if a tree had crushed the roof? Or some non-act of God event? Surely there is a limit to where the tenants responsibility ends and the landlord's begins?...
      25-07-2017, 22:07 PM